school program pricing Help!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 13th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #1
Major Player

school program pricing Help!!

how much do you charge to do a school Christmas progam? need help quick
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Major Player

How many cameras? Manned, unmanned? Will you have the rights to 100% of all DVD sales? Is this a public school? Private school with parents with big $$$. Elementary school, high school, kindergarten? How long is the program supposed to last? Will you need to provide any special lighting? Do you have any experience taping this kind of program? Are you competing with anyone for the job?

More than likely, there's not a whole lot of money available. Not knowing anything about Longview, I'd guess about $300 for an hour program, 2 cameras, one manned, and you keep all proceeds of disk sales.
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tomkowiak
More than likely, there's not a whole lot of money available. Not knowing anything about Longview, I'd guess about $300 for an hour program, 2 cameras, one manned, and you keep all proceeds of disk sales.
Never done one, just curious... what's the point in a school giving 100% dvd sales to the videog? I mean... why would they hire the gig out if they don't stand to make any money?

Typically, don't they get a "cut" of the sales?
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #4
Major Player

Around here, anyway, the main reason for hiring someone to tape a school program is to keep 50 fathers in their seats rather than let them all walk around at the same time with camcorders distracting from the event.

Unless a school has deep pockets to pull from, there's not much in the budget to hire a videographer. After agreeing to some token payment, the only way to make it worth your time & effort is the DVD sales. Used to be, anyway. But, as more people get DVD recorders, it's not uncommon for Mr & Mrs X to buy a disk, having agreed ahead of time to split the cost with other families as Mr X makes copies.
Old November 13th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #5
Major Player

Actually I called a friend who runs a video business full time and he said he charged $600 for the job and give them the cd's at cost, which I don't know how much that would be. Guess you figure what you spent on your dvds the cases and the ink. The school does intend to make some money on this so they will be looking at how much they can make. No I never have done a school program for my business but have done my sons programs. I would plan on having 2 cameras with no special lighting. I would be in control of one and my wife would probably sit by the other which would be set at a wide angle. This is an intermidiate school and their pockets are not real deep but most could afford 10-20 bucks. Total students, I would say anywhere from 250-350. Thought of charging them $300 for one camera $400 for 2 and $5 a disk.
Old November 14th, 2006, 05:37 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Lalo,

For the event and circumstances you describe, I think the price you're considering is fair. I would suggest not offering single camera coverage, because, if money is an issue, they'll go for the lower rate. I don't offer a 1- or 2-camera option for any event because I show up with 2 cameras regardless. Even if the 2nd camera is on sticks unmanned, that b-roll makes editing so much easier and makes the product look more professional. If a person is behind the camera, so much the better.

In my limited experience with school events, the main reason why the guy filming the prior year wasn't rehired isn't because of cost, but because the tapes (previous century) or disks weren't delivered until 3 or 4 months later, and parents complained. If you're competing with anyone for this job and if you can guarantee delivery within a few weeks after the event, it could move consideration in your favor.

If the school is getting a piece of the action, I'd suggest the school office, rather than you, handle the disk orders, money collection and distribution.

Good luck & let us know how it turns out.
Old November 17th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Well looks like I got the gig. The program is approx. 30minutes and don't need it till after the holidays. They went for the 2 camera shoot so my wife will run the second camera. Will be selling anywhere from 100 to 200 copies. Wish me luck.
Old November 17th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #8
Major Player

Find out what the client's expectations are, i.e., how do they imagine the finished video will look.

Where will the finished video end up? Who will purchase them?

Is this a fundraising project or not? If so, at least double the minimum you need to make a reasonable profit as you reduce the cost per copy so the school or it's fundraising "booster club" has a chance to more than cover their cost.

What will you have to do to make the project meet client's expectations? What must you do to break even?

How many copies of the project will need to be produced?

Establish the number of copies you need to meet both your expenses and a resonable profit margin. Arrive at a cost per copy that makes sense ($30 per copy seems to be the base line in my local area) so what you produce actually will be sold.

Secure in writing a definite order for the number of copies, then define a discount. For example, if you can make 100 copies meet your expenses with a fair profit margn at $30 ea, then you could offer $20/copy with a minimum order of 200 copies, or $15/ea with 300 copies. Establish a price point that is useful for a long time.

I can't begin to define the price per copy range that works in your local area. You will have to figure that out on your own. What I can tell you, however, is that your decisions will establish a base line for future work, and that you will very likely get future work. If one school-based organization likes what you do, the "grapevine" of conversation will give you more opportunities.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques