Whoops...bad song at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 17th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Whoops...bad song

I just put together a little 'extras' clip to bolt on the end of a wedding dvd at the last minute. The thing is, they didn't really have a proper reception since they were on a very tight budget...it was just a few snacks and drinks at a small bar and nothing really happened so I thought I'd put it to an upbeat track and make it seem more than what it was. I didn't really pay much attention to the lyrics until my wife pointed out they might feel a little peeved at the line 'I wouldn't be caught dead in this place' ...lol
Not sure if they have a sense of humour, what do you reckon? hehe

http://www.clarkes-media.co.uk/TheExtrasWeb.wmv
Damian Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Clarke
Not sure if they have a sense of humour, what do you reckon? hehe
Maybe it's just me, but maybe this part of the song is even more inappropriate:

"And isn't this exactly where you'd like me
I'm exactly where you'd like me, you know
Praying for love in a lap dance and paying in naivety"

Hahahahahahaha.....
Old November 17th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #3
Still Motion

I thought the clip was great, especially considering the context in which it was shot. Who says the song need to be 'wedding-ish' anyways? Great job.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #4
Trustee

I should have said I liked it, too. The song is just too hilarious, though...heheh.
Old November 18th, 2006, 03:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments guys :)
Yeh I see what you mean Vito! rofl
Isn't it funny when your not even trying how lyrics can match up to a scene whether it be perfectly or inappropriately.
Anyhow on further thought, even though it's funny I don't think I'll risk upsetting them. *Sigh*...now I have to do it again...new song..hmmm, what about 'Who let the dogs out'? That's a safe bet eh? ahem..
Old November 18th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #6
Trustee

I liked the feel of your first song much better than "who let the dogs out." Any more English rock that could work? Even a Beatles' tune or something.
Old November 18th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #7
Major Player

I was working on a highlights clip for a wedding, and I found this great song that had a really good feel to it, so I started editing to it. I got about 10 hours or so into the video and realized the song talked about PAST tense love, like "how you used to love me" and all this crap. I couldn't believe it. I contemplated leaving it, but decided to change.... I don't want to be responsible for their divorce! haha
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Clarke
*Sigh*...now I have to do it again...new song..hmmm, what about 'Who let the dogs out'? That's a safe bet eh? ahem..

Maybe an instrumental track... that should keep you out of hot water with the clients. ;-)

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi There
I thought the edit was superbly done and the music made that happen. Before you go and reedit it I wuould ask the bride and groom to first view it and see what they think. Correct me if i'm wrong but she is wearing thigh high boots and has a few tatoos, they had their reception in a pub, this might be exactly what their personalities are craving from you. You spent all day with them and probably got to know them quite well, ask yourself if this fits them. I would give them a link to the video and let them decide because they might think this is the best part of the whole video! Just my thoughts though......

Jason
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #10
Trustee

Great idea, Jason. Would save him a lot of work, too.
Old November 18th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks, I really appreciate the comments and now have 2 viewpoints on it...so back where I started then lol. I think it was lack of cash that the reception was held in a pub rather than it being their style, but it was a very good point none the less, cheers Jason. Hmmm...I might ask the boss, sorry I mean wife again and see what she thinks about letting them see it, the couple just live around the corner so I can bring it over. I might get a black eye, but at least I'll see her reaction first hand. ;)
I'll search for alternate songs in the meantime just in case!
The pain of it is, I'm not very experienced (i.e. years in the industry) at camerwork or editing and I really tried my hardest at that little piece, took me 2 bloody days lol
Old November 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #12
Trustee

Well, your hard work shows. It's very well done. The worst that could happen is that you got some great practice editing.
Old November 20th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Great editing....I didn't listen to the lyrics. Maybe the couple won't either.....
Sheldon Blais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks ;) Alas, I decided to use a different song. The lyrics weren't really that bad I suppose but I thought I'd give it another go. I now trying to do a bit of lazy editing and seeing what bits I have already in place fit with the new song...copy and paste hehe
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #15
Major Player

Up until the lap dance lyrics I thought the song was actually right on! Nice timing of the old guy crashed on the wall when the lyrics say "I wouldn't be caught dead in this place".

Great editing and worth the laugh.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques