DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Questions for B & G for Love Story (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/80079-questions-b-g-love-story.html)

Jason Robinson November 20th, 2006 07:19 PM

Questions for B & G for Love Story

I am going to be producing another wedding love story but this time I wanted to do something different. My previous love stories have been told by my reliance on Ken Burns style still photo pan / zooms across still photos. I want to add interviews to my love story. My problem then becomes, what do I ask of the couple to get good and memorable audio / video?

There will be the usual "How did you meet?" and questions like that. But I am interested in more creative questions or ideas that I can use. I expect to make a list of about 10 questions to have for the B & G when I film them.

This brings up the problem of locations. He is in New Mexico, and she is in my town. I have a very limited time from before the wedding (2 weeks) or I have this week (Thanksgiving) when they are both in town. So I either have to do this NOW, or do it later and edit that sucker quick (keeping in mind that I work ~45hr week as a sw developer in addition to my video production biz) and.....

There is a catch though...... the groom is my brother and I will be the best man for the wedding and the bride is a close friend's sister. I even bought the ring for her (because my brother was down in butt-end of New Mexico 300 miles from a mall and needed my help).

This means that I know their love story, but I am afraid of forgetting to ask the obvious questions or of missing completely brain dead but essential questions because I already know the "story."

Any suggestions? Thanks as always.

Jason

Rick Steele November 21st, 2006 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson
There will be the usual "How did you meet?" and questions like that. But I am interested in more creative questions or ideas that I can use.

Herein lies the "rub". Exactly who will be watching this video? If it's meant for general audiences you certainly want to maintain a degree of privacy with whatever you ask. And I doubt you want the couple (especially the groom) gushing, crying and slobbering about things they'd be embarrassed about and later regret saying in public.

Here are some of the questions I ask which I consider to be "safe".

How and where did you first meet?

What was your first impression of your fiancé?

What did you do for a first date?

When did you know (he or she) was the one?

What made you two decide to officially tie the knot?

How did your family and friends react to the news?

What have you learned from your fiancé?

Does he/she have any quirks?

What are the things that you love most about you
fiancé?

What is the biggest challenge the two of you have
faced together so far?

What is the sweetest/funniest/most romantic/etc thing
your fiancé has ever done for you?

What would life be like without him/her?

You can also have fun with it if the couple has a sense of humor (If their answers contradict... show each response back-to-back):

Who is “really” going to be in charge of the finances?

When there is an argument, who usually “starts it?”

When there is an argument, who is the first to say, “I’m Sorry”?

When it comes to kids, who will be the biggest pushover?

Who is the biggest "slob"?

Is there any part of “husband training” you’re still working on?

Is there anything you own now that your bride should NOT throw out after the wedding?

Jason Robinson November 21st, 2006 01:30 PM

Funny questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Steele
Is there any part of “husband training” you’re still working on?

Is there anything you own now that your bride should NOT throw out after the wedding?

I'm positive that my brother won't be a crying mess, though when he sees his bride walk down the isle, that may change.

I love the funny question angle. I'll of course be making sure the video is family / public friendly. I'll have to see what other question ideas (possibly from his friends) to spice up the questions.

Thanks for the help.

jason

Steven Davis November 21st, 2006 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Steele
Herein lies the "rub". they'd be embarrassed about and later regret saying in public.

Good point we did something one time and had a discussion later with the bride and groom as to the inclusion of said statements in the copy for the relatives.

Hey Rick,

Could I borrow some of those? I wanted to ask first.

Jason Robinson November 21st, 2006 02:44 PM

Client review

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Good point we did something one time and had a discussion later with the bride and groom as to the inclusion of said statements in the copy for the relatives.

Hey Rick,

Could I borrow some of those? I wanted to ask first.

Even better point. Since the wedding video distribution is controlled by the clients, the video itself can include more material that might not be suitable for formal occasions. But the love story is shown to EVERYONE at the wedding so the content needs to keep that in mind.

jason

Rick Steele November 21st, 2006 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson
I'm positive that my brother won't be a crying mess, though when he sees his bride walk down the isle, that may change.

I'm sure he'll be fine...

Quote:

Hey Rick,
Could I borrow some of those? I wanted to ask first
Feel free. I'm sure I "borrowed" most of them from somebody else. :)