DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Two camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/80390-two-camera.html)

Obed Boas Berg November 26th, 2006 06:35 AM

Two camera

I use two XL2 camera's for my weddings
Th main differents for me instead off using one camera is the post production.
It cost me much more time to edit all and sync the two together.

Has anyone the same problem and how can i reduse the post production time.

Ian Briscoe November 26th, 2006 01:14 PM

Obed

Set both cameras recording - clap your hands so the microphones of both cameras pick up the sound. Then when you drop the captured file onto the timeline the audio peak from the clap will be obvious. Just drag the two clips so that peak roughly line up - then listen through your headphones and move one of the tracks and keep playing back until you can only hear one clap.

The important thing is - DO NOT stop either camera once you've clapped.

To be honest though - I never clap - I just find an obvious sound bite - someone coughing, etc and use that as my 'clap'. It becomes very easy with practice.

With regard to editing - I don't know which program you're using. I use Vegas with Excalibur which allows you to view multiple cameras, switch between them and then Excalibur compiles the final track based on your cuts.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Rick Steele November 26th, 2006 01:17 PM

What NLE system do you use to edit? Does it have a multicam function?

Even without a multicam feature I find just the opposite when editing 2 cams. I spend less time inserting b-roll and basically stressing out over the enitre edit than I ever did using just one.

I often use a camera flash to synch up 2 clips.

Garrison Hayes November 26th, 2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obed Boas Berg
I use two XL2 camera's for my weddings
Th main differents for me instead off using one camera is the post production.
It cost me much more time to edit all and sync the two together.

Has anyone the same problem and how can i reduse the post production time.

I'd use the "Pick-N-Choose" method...where you just capture what you want instead of the whole tape...

Hope That was a *Little* helpfull...

G. Hayes

Garrison Hayes November 26th, 2006 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Steele
What NLE system do you use to edit? Does it have a multicam function?

Even without a multicam feature I find just the opposite when editing 2 cams. I spend less time inserting b-roll and basically stressing out over the enitre edit than I ever did using just one.

I often use a camera flash to synch up 2 clips.

Yeah...Avid Xpress has Multi-Cam capabilities....maybe you could invest in that.

Michael Cassidy November 26th, 2006 01:33 PM

Yes, a two camera edit, is much quicker to do than a single camera job! and much more rewarding!
The time I used to spend doing "inserts" when using a one camera job! Was, a pain in the arse!
I use the "Casablanca System", I don't bother with their "QuadCam" it's not accurate enoughth, for me! However, all the previous advice is sound, just get your "starting point" and your away! It's worth the effort.

Mike

Waldemar Winkler November 26th, 2006 06:14 PM

With Final Cut Pro 5, and very likely the other applications already previously mentioned, a multi-camera edit is not only quick and easy, but can be fine tuned until you are satisfied with the look. Keep all cameras rolling for the length of the shoot. Not doing that can really turn a fun editing session into a nightmare.

If you don't have the multiple camera editing feature, scale all of your video sequences down so they fit in the record out (FCP calls it the "canvas") video window. With each camera on a separate track, and having all camera angles synchronized, you can pick and choose. When finished, scale the angles you want to keep to full screen and mix the audio.

Multi-camera features are a great time saver, but none of them are lightning fast. If you add stand-alone audio recordings, like an i-River, as well as still photos, the editing process significantly increases. However, the overall quality of the project increases as well.

The only resolution I know is to carefully plan your shoot.

Mark Goldberg November 26th, 2006 07:08 PM

I think you are correct in that a 2-cam wedding can be a killer to edit if you don't manage the situation properly. In fact, I found that a two-operator two-camera wedding takes LOTS longer to edit than a two-camera ONE-operator wedding!

The trick to survival is the designate one cam as the master, and to carefully plan where and when the second cam is used. For example, if church rules allow you to be on the altar and to move for the best shot, make that your master cam, and put the second at the rear on a medium wide shot. That second cam is available to cover the back angle and provide a cutaway anytime you lose your shot. Similarly during dancing, let the unattended cam get a wide shot, and you get the tight shots. Or use that second cam for reaction shots or alternate angles. If you do have a second operator, he should be give clear instructions and direction.

If the second operator goes wild, you will have a terrible time editing the mess.

Vince Lucena November 27th, 2006 07:25 AM

I use two XL2s also. I have not yet implemented this tip. But perhaps it will help with the sync.

http://dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article11.php

Richard Alvarez November 27th, 2006 07:56 AM

Vince beat me to it, but the link he gives is essential to sycing the two cameras. Their time codes will be 'in synch' even if they start and stop indepenantly of one another.

Most NLE's have a multicam feature, but the do deal with synch a little differently. Some play the screens in realtime, some don't. So shop around.