DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Advice needed on unique wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/80593-advice-needed-unique-wedding.html)

Dave M. Smith November 29th, 2006 06:54 AM

Advice needed on unique wedding

Hey all.

I just booked a wedding for New Year's Eve. Here are some quick details:

-2nd marriage for both B & G.
-15-20 min. ceremony in the sun room of a flower shop. (I have not yet seen the location.)
-Approx. 25 guests standing in a circle around the B & G for the entire ceremony.
-No traditional entrance, no aisle, no father walking the bride, etc...

I'm assuming this is not a huge room, so I'll probably be pretty up close and personal with the action.

Without having more details of the room, what advice can you offer on setting up a two-camera shoot?

I appreciate the help!

-Dave

Steven Davis November 29th, 2006 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave M. Smith
Hey all.

I just booked a wedding for New Year's Eve. Here are some quick details:

-2nd marriage for both B & G.
-15-20 min. ceremony in the sun room of a flower shop. (I have not yet seen the location.)
-Approx. 25 guests standing in a circle around the B & G for the entire ceremony.
-No traditional entrance, no aisle, no father walking the bride, etc...

I'm assuming this is not a huge room, so I'll probably be pretty up close and personal with the action.

Without having more details of the room, what advice can you offer on setting up a two-camera shoot?

I appreciate the help!

-Dave

First of all, find out who lives there or owns it and have them send you a picture of the room. Secondly, if this is up close and personal, and it's like a room I'm thinking, you could go a little alternative and put a camera above the action to get a top down angle wide angle, then work your other angle underneath the shot of your top cam. Just an idea, but I wouldn't go there and try to figure out logistical placement on the fly. Try to get a picture, several even. Just me .012

On and figure out where the sun will be at that time of day, if dark, find out about the lights.

Dave M. Smith November 29th, 2006 07:15 AM

Steven,

I was thinking I needed to get cam 1 up above the crowd with a high tripod. Hadn't thought about shooting wide from directly above. That might be a creative way to do it.

As far as lighting, the ceremony will be after dark, and I have a feeling that there will be a lot of candlelight and Christmas lights. My PD170's perform well in low light, but they don't perform miracles. I may need to think about additional lighting.

The flower shop is close to where I live, so I definitely plan to drop by and scope out the room.

Thanks for the ideas!

-Dave

Steven Davis November 29th, 2006 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave M. Smith
Steven,

I was thinking I needed to get cam 1 up above the crowd with a high tripod. Hadn't thought about shooting wide from directly above. That might be a creative way to do it.

As far as lighting, the ceremony will be after dark, and I have a feeling that there will be a lot of candlelight and Christmas lights. My PD170's perform well in low light, but they don't perform miracles. I may need to think about additional lighting.

The flower shop is close to where I live, so I definitely plan to drop by and scope out the room.

Thanks for the ideas!

-Dave

Try, and this is just another idea, but try to see if you can balance the lighting with some on the floor, maybe they have plants or soemthing you could wrap the lights around, ofcourse you're just trying to even out the light. The event has some really neat video possibilities. May the schwartz be with you.

Dave M. Smith November 29th, 2006 08:01 AM

Yeah, it does have some neat possibilities. I'd like to get very creative, but it will all depend on what the bride will let me do. She seems pretty open to ideas, so maybe I'll come away with an award-winner. And may the schwartz be with you as well. (So, Lonestar. I see your schwartz is...oh, never mind.)

-Dave

Mike F Smith November 29th, 2006 09:20 PM

I don't think the camera angle from too high up is all that great but it may work. I don't know how much creative control you are going to have of this thing but it sounds like you may have a lot. Atleast you won't have a priest telling where you can't be. Ask the bride or the flower shop where the party will be standing, plan your shots then tweak as needed. It's a good idea having a wedding at a flower shop, atleast they won't have to go far for flowers. Maybe take you camera when you go the the flower shop and get your establishing shots and close up floral shots early.

Best,

Mike