Having trouble getting paid -- what should I do? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 4th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele
Yes but most wedding vendors have fulfilled their contracts/services no later than the day of the wedding. We inturn make them wait up to 6 months for their product.

Not saying 100% payment up front is wrong... just putting it in perspective from a client's view. Some videographers get half as a retainer and the other half on delivery. Some work payments in "thirds".

Whatever works...
Very true rick, but the thng is, most of our outlays are in advance anyway, and when i used to use a 50/50 system, many times did i wait for clients to work out their funds before being able to deliver their work. it ended up being working for half the money, while i edited and had nothing to show for it.
Doing it in advance, with a detailed invoice allws them to work you into teh budget before the wedding day and stopping the "oh we'll pay THAT later" mentality..
Ive had clients almost broke by the time they get thier videos, and 2 of them had actually broken up within 4 months of the wedding... so that was dead money too...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #17
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Getting paid up front...

[QUOTE=Tom McDougal]so your suppose to be paid in full before you begin editing?

In this area, most wedding videographers I know require full payment by, or on, the day of the ceremony. Personally, I require a 50%, non-refundable retainer in order to put the client on my calendar. That way I know I'll be paid something for that day's work. If the retainer check bounces, I'm not booked with them until it's made good. As for the invoice balance, I offer the option of payments of any amount, submitted at any time, up to the day of the ceremony. However, the invoice must be paid in full no later than the day of. If that check bounces, they don't get their DVDs until it's made good...in cash!

It might sound harsh, but once I explain it to my clients, (and give them some horror stories) they have no problem with the policy. They're very understanding.
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McDougal
so your suppose to be paid in full before you begin editing?

most contracts i know of, client pays on delevery of product. ...
Used to be that way for me, until I had one delinquent (who eventually paid anyway), but for the past four years now, I get my final payment at the rehearsal.
We're no different from the banquet hall,church, DJ, Baker and Florist.
Even when I shoot photography, I expect payment in full ahead of the wedding.
Andy
Andy Wason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wason
We're no different from the banquet hall,church, DJ, Baker and Florist.
Not so. These contracted services are executed and "completed" the day of the wedding.

FWIW... I also collect everything in full prior to shooting.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Learn from it.

Try to make the best of a difficult situation, but learn from this experience. I have not been stiffed for a wedding but in the past it has happened for other things. My contract states that a non-refundable 25% payment be made to reserve the date & the rest is due 2 weeks before the wedding. If they question this I offer past references to reassure them of my integrity. Get the money while the getting is good.
Eugene Bare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #21
Major Player

I had a very similar circumstance once.... their check didn't bounce, they just didn't pay. They also ignored my phone calls, didn't respond to messages, and ignored the letters I mailed them. Finally I sent a letter via certified mail (so they had to sign for it) with a copy of their signed contract and threatened legal action unless they paid.

They told me the same thing, they had a family emergency and couldn't come up with the money. I worked out a payment plan with them, where they paid half now, and half a week later.

Also, I would tend not to believe their excuse that they had some sort of family emergency. If this were true, why did they write you a check in the first place knowing it would bounce.... or why did they not contact you to let you know they had some sort of emergency and were having financial difficulties? I think if they were intending to pay you they would have made some efford to contact you and work something out, not ignore you and wait for you to get back to them.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Adam,
True as that may be, people don't always think about obligations. It took 2 years and a $900 brake job on one of our vehicles for my wife to realize that brakes DON'T last forever, and the grinding sound coming from your wheels is a bad thing... and it won't go away on its own. People simply don't think sometimes.

-Michael
Old December 7th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele
Not so. These contracted services are executed and "completed" the day of the wedding.

FWIW... I also collect everything in full prior to shooting.
Regardless, they are paid in full before the service is delivered.
Andy
Andy Wason is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques