New Highlight Clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 7th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #1
Major Player

New Highlight Clip

Here is a Highlight from the same wedding of the First Dance I posted on the thread about what I Love When Filming a Wedding.

http://tulsaweddingvideos.com/video/FVHighlight.wmv
Old December 7th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Mark,
Thanks for graciously sharing that clip. I was emotionally engaged in that clip. I had a tear in my eye. I really love you detail shots (b-roll) footage. Really added depth to the clip, fantastic. Nice chair shot (^_^) it was a very creative segment. The only thing was there seemed to be to much head room in the beginning as the Bride was in the middle of her brides maid and also when the father is giving away his daughter. The first one I can understand as the bridesmaids in the background were framed correctly but my eyes did tend to focus on the Bride for that segment. For the second there was a little to much but I guess it is subjective. Thanks again for sharing and always being an encouragement to the field with your style and level of work.

Take Care
Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Nice work

I can't wait to go to TULSA this year.
Thanks for taking the time to post your AMAZING work.......

Franklin Bencosme from Dominican Republic, nice beaches and great weather...

www.franklinbencosme.com
Franklin Bencosme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #4
Still Motion

Thanks for sharing Mark, I too really enjoyed the clip. What stood out most to me was how vibrant the colors were and how perfect all of the color correction looked, even in what looked to be dim ambient light. Do you need to add saturation to many of your clips or is it more a matter of adjusting the tone and levels? If you don't mind sharing, how long do you think you spent on color correcting this piece, adjusting levels on this piece?

I've seen the opening sequence with the text from the invitation scrolling over several detail shots in the background, is that something you do as a standard for highlights?

I did notice a little bit of noise in the brides vows, which I think is worsened by the fact that you have such a good VO to carry the piece. I also was waiting for the first kiss shot to switch angles os we could see more of it, any reason you stuck with that shot?

One last questions, your voice over has a very religious tone to it. Do you talk to the couple about their beliefs prior to using a voice over such as this or do you assume that anything said in their ceremony should be suitable material to use?

Thanks again for sharing. I really love checking out your camera work and find the second viewing of your work always offers quite a few avenues to check out next time I'm shooting.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Really nice work.

Will stand the test of time.

I really think this style is what most brides are looking for.

Mike Smith
Mike F Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #6
Major Player

Ditto, very nice work Mark; did you use a Steadicam for some of the shots?
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Mark,

Again, I sure do enjoy your work. I've reserved my spot to be with you and Trisha for your Tulsa workshop in February. (I hope it's warmer then than it is now! I'm in Joplin, MO, so we have the same weather that you guys do). I just got your current demo DVD in the mail yesterday. I'm excited to get to meet you in person and learn from one of the best! See you in February!

-Dave
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Wow!

Excellent work. This highlight clip is a work of art. The shot of the bride through the chair, bride coming down the aisle with the candle in the foreground, and the aquarium shot at the end was incredible. Thank you very much for sharing.....

Was this a 2 or 3 cam shoot?
Sheldon Blais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Beautiful

Mark awesome work thanks for sharing. I still watch your training videos and always get something new from them.
Janice DeMille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa
Hey Mark,
Thanks for graciously sharing that clip. I was emotionally engaged in that clip. I had a tear in my eye...Nice chair shot (^_^) it was a very creative segment... For the second there was a little to much but I guess it is subjective...

Take Care
Monday
Hi Monday,

Thanks for the kind words. The chair shot was Trisha's.

Good eye on the second observation. That framing really bothered me as well. I hated to stay on it that long, but I did for two reasons. One, I was waiting on the musical change, but more importantly there was some nice moments going on between the Bride and her Dad and then I love to see it when the Dad joins the hands of the Bride and Groom.
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Bencosme
I can't wait to go to TULSA this year.
Thanks for taking the time to post your AMAZING work.......

Franklin Bencosme from Dominican Republic, nice beaches and great weather...

www.franklinbencosme.com
Hi Franklin,

Thanks for the kind words. I look forward to coming to Tulsa. It will be nice to meet you in person and you will have a great time.
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau
Thanks for sharing Mark, I too really enjoyed the clip. What stood out most to me was how vibrant the colors were and how perfect all of the color correction looked, even in what looked to be dim ambient light. Do you need to add saturation to many of your clips or is it more a matter of adjusting the tone and levels? If you don't mind sharing, how long do you think you spent on color correcting this piece, adjusting levels on this piece?

I've seen the opening sequence with the text from the invitation scrolling over several detail shots in the background, is that something you do as a standard for highlights?

I did notice a little bit of noise in the brides vows, which I think is worsened by the fact that you have such a good VO to carry the piece. I also was waiting for the first kiss shot to switch angles os we could see more of it, any reason you stuck with that shot?

One last questions, your voice over has a very religious tone to it. Do you talk to the couple about their beliefs prior to using a voice over such as this or do you assume that anything said in their ceremony should be suitable material to use?

Thanks again for sharing. I really love checking out your camera work and find the second viewing of your work always offers quite a few avenues to check out next time I'm shooting.

Patrick
Hi Patrick,

I don't think I did any color correction at all. We just manually white balance. The only thing I can think of is that I do add a slight darkened border, which makes things look a little richer, but I don't remember doing any color correction.

Yes, the invitation scroll is standard on our Highlights.

I'm not sure if I follow you on the first kiss. I showed the wide angle of the Groom removing the veil and then I went to the closeup for the kiss. Maybe you are referring to the Groom's head blocking the Brides face during the kiss? Did you then want to see a wide shot of the kiss?

The beginning VO was a prayer by the minister. We usually use the ministers opening comments or a meaningful prayer. The Groom is the Evangelism Minister at the First Baptist Church. The Bride also has a strong commitment to her faith.

Our approach is to emphasize things that are important to the couple. Trisha learns what is important to them in her consultation with the Bride and or Groom. They had both "waited" for the "right one". The groom was in his mid 30's and the Bride, in her early 30's. They were both verbal about their relationship with the Lord and about their faith, that he would bring the right one along at the right time. I think that it is just natural that their faith is evident in their wedding film.

Thanks for your nice comments.
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F Smith
Really nice work.

Will stand the test of time.

I really think this style is what most brides are looking for.

Mike Smith
Hi Mike,

We really do want to produce a wedding film that will stand the test of time and not easily become dated. Thanks for your kind words.
Old December 8th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
Ditto, very nice work Mark; did you use a Steadicam for some of the shots?
Hi Greg,

Thanks. None of the shots were with a Steadicam. I do own a Glidecam, but it was not used in any of these shots. Every moving shot but one was handheld with our feet planted.

We go in-depth on the technique we use to get the steadicam look without the steadicam in a training video as well as at the various training workshops we host in Tulsa and around the country.

The only moving shot that was obtained by walking was towards the end around the 3:00 mark. That was obtained with my DSR-250 on my shoulder while gently walking. I don't like to do it that way, but when I need on on-camera light for the exit shot, that is the way I do it. It's not as smooth as a Glidecam shot, but it works out okay.
Old December 8th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M. Smith
Mark,

Again, I sure do enjoy your work. I've reserved my spot to be with you and Trisha for your Tulsa workshop in February... I just got your current demo DVD in the mail yesterday. I'm excited to get to meet you in person and learn from one of the best! See you in February!

-Dave
Hi Dave,

Trisha told me you were coming for the February workshop. I'm looking forward to meeting you in person. It will be here before you know it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques