DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wireless Audio Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/81362-wireless-audio-question.html)

Josh Laronge December 9th, 2006 10:43 AM

Wireless Audio Question

If availible at weddings, I pull audio off a sound board via xlr cable. I was wondering if any one knows if an Azden 51XT transmitter or a similar one from another manufacturer can do this. Is this possible? Are there any other products that would act as a "wireless" xlr cable?

Thanks.
--Josh

Vincent Croce December 9th, 2006 02:05 PM

I've used an XLR to a mini (1/8") jack plugged into my Azden 200ULH transmitter before and it works perfectly, although I usually go with either rca or a standard jack if they're available on the soundboard. The dj refused to let me plug in at my last wedding, but that's another story...

Michael Nistler December 9th, 2006 03:32 PM

DJ Mixer

Hi Josh,

If you look through the dvinfo wedding archives, you'll find the topic of DJ mixers have been previously discussed. Many prefer to put a microphone in front of the DJ or house speakers rather than tap into the DJs mixer panel (some DJs paranoid, clueless, etc) Also, avoiding the mixer panel does eliminate a few issues when using a wireless (interference from DJs gear, level adjustments on your monitor or aux channel, bumped cabling, etc) Sure, we'd all prefer the improved clarity of eliminating an extra acoustical transformation (speaker to mic) so if you're confident the DJ is "with-it" and a real team player, go for it. Just be sure at least one of you know what you're doing on the hookup/tap and be sure to readjust your levels on the transmitter. Your mixer tap will probably be 20+ dB hotter than a mic signal and you may or may not find an impedance matching transformer useful. I haven't used the Azden transmitter but as Vincent mentioned, you'll probably need an adapter to convert from an XLR to a mixer output jack. Most mixers use 1/4 inch Tip-Ring jacks (I've never seen mixers with 1/8 inch or RCA type outputs). Bottom line - always have a ton of cables and connectors to go to any imaginable jack type and sex (both male and female).

On the other hand, you can connect your mic to the wireless tranmitter and place it in front of the DJs speaker and problem solved. You find it does a fine job of capturing the music and has a *BIG* benefit of getting the voices from the audience at the reception. Also, using the microphone route, when the bride, groom, etc say something priceless between songs or during a silent portion of a song, you've lost the audio if you use a mixer output - with you're mic, you've got a chance of picking it up. And you can inform the B&G they can always grab the wireless mic if they want to say something to be preserved on the video tape.

Regards, Michael

Don Bloom December 9th, 2006 04:31 PM

Josh, Yes you can use the 51XT to pull from a soundboard. I do it alll the time for a variety of different types of work. Just make sure you set either the receiver or camera to the proper setting-MIC or LINE depending on the setup you're using.
Don

Waldemar Winkler December 9th, 2006 05:17 PM

To add my opinion to the other informed comments, please note:

You must match as closely as possible the impedance of the connection you have made to the sound board. There are two possibilities. XLR is usually a low impedance connection, but not always. RCA, or "TAPE OUT" is almost always high impedance. 1/4" is generally high impedance but, like XLR, can be wired for either. A good audio mixer with XLR outs will usually have a switch indicating a choice of High or Low.

A wireless transmitter that has input choices (usually "Mic", "Line", and/or "instrument") is the best choice for connection to a sound board.
For the sake of simplicity I usually ask to connect to a "REC OUT" on the sound board. This is almost always an RCA connection, usually located on the top of the board instead of the back. It is a constant level feed that has all of the attributes of the main feed to the amplifier without volume levels.

The disadvantage is that only the line audio feeds are available. Very likely little ambient sound. This is where the idea of placing a mic next to a loudspeaker might be preferable. If so, choose a mic that can handle high sound pressure levels, like a Shure SM-57 or a drum mic.

Don Bloom December 9th, 2006 06:10 PM

Just an FYI-when I do plug into the soundboard (and I only do it with DJs I know and trust 100%) I let my oncamera mic (an AKG se300/Ck93 hypercaroid) pick up the room sounds and then split and mix in post as needed. There are times it can be a lifesaver and other times I wonder why I did what I did and should have just used a mic out in front of the speaker. Oh well, sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.
Oh yeah forgot to add the 51XT does not have an input setting (no way to change LINE to MIC) BUT the receiver does
Don

Josh Laronge December 11th, 2006 08:32 AM

Thanks

Thanks to everyone. This was my first post to the site and you've all really answered my question. It's sites like this and more importantly members of boards like you who make the internet great. I really appreciate your input.
--Josh