Flashout !!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 10th, 2006, 01:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Flashout !!!

I recorded a dance performance, the Nutcracker. Much to my consternation one of the parents went nuts with his flash. I have recored many Nutcrackers and have never had someone go so wild with their camera flash so I have never had to fix this problem in post. The guy must have had a ton of batteries. Next time I'm bringing a bucket of salt water to dunk the guys camera in.

Questions

Is it fixable? I asume I would have to remove the flashed frames and do some kind of enterpilation

Can I do it in final cut pro?

There must be 400 flashes that I would like to get rid of.

Mike
Mike F Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #2
Major Player

with any NLE, you'll be able to simply cut the 1-3 frames of flash out, and stitch back together the footage. I've certainly done that with an incident in my most recent footage, and it is 'luckily-for-me' completely seemless (yes, video AND audio). like a blink of the eye :)

But I'm wondering if you should maybe just leave it, esp. if its 400 flashes!! You don't want your film to 'stutter' in important places!
you're videoing the day, and that is exactly what happened....not your fault in the slightest so why should it be your problem?

Hopefully the viewers will do one of two things:
1. they won't really take in those flashes coz they are watching the footage too intently
2. they will get annoyed with the flashes too but not in any way think YOU could do something about it! they will hardly demand a refund, from you. Maybe they will bring a bucket of salt water next time, as you say :)

hope that helps? maybe someone else has better experience, but personally i'd leave it
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #3
Still Motion

Nattress has a deflash filter for FCP that has several variable you can tweak to remove just some of the flashes and still make it look smooth. Probably your most efficient bet.

http://www.nattress.com/Products/set1/GDeflash.htm

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank You Richard and Patrick,

The deflash filter is exactly what I'm looking for.

Mike Smith
Mike F Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques