DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Glidecam 2000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/81426-glidecam-2000-a.html)

Paul Gallagher December 10th, 2006 07:53 AM

Glidecam 2000

Where is the best forum on how to use these as I have bought one second hand and would like to find more info on them and if possible a DVD.

Thanks
Paul

Boyd Ostroff December 10th, 2006 08:18 AM

Visit our stabilizer forum right here at DVinfo!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=119

Paul Gallagher December 10th, 2006 08:22 AM

Tanks Boyd,

I doubt I need a new pair of glasses.

Paul

Eric Gan December 11th, 2006 01:34 AM

Paul, since you've already made the purchase, the best way to "learn" how to use it is to practice!

Things to remember:

- One hand on the handle; with the other hand, use two fingers lightly on the post underneath the gimbal. Use the two fingers with a feather touch only as a guide.

- Practice your footwork. Walk like Groucho Marx - heel-toe-heel-toe.

- When balancing the rig, balance forward/back, side-to-side, then flip the post to a horizontal position and conduct the "vertical drop" test. After letting go of the camera, the post should swing back past the vertical position in 2.5 - 3 seconds.

- Buy a quick release adapter that matches your tripod so that you can get on and off the Glidecam quickly.

- Exercise your forearm muscles so that you can shoot for longer periods.

- Concentrate on your start and stops. It's easy once you're moving; it's most difficult to come to a smooth stop and hold a shot.

I think the Glidecam is an absolutely fantastic tool for the price. However, I think you have to have a 2nd camera to provide coverage when shooting weddings, because you'll have a lot more "unusable" footage from the Glidecam camera. Have fun flying!

Eric

Charles Papert December 11th, 2006 01:41 AM

Good advise from Eric, although I think you can use more than just two fingers on the center post, just make sure that the touch is as light as possible.

Paul Gallagher December 11th, 2006 04:13 PM

Thanks again for your help but my biggest problem is getting the glidecam to stay static with the VX2000 fitted onto it, trying to get the weights and all right is were I need the most help, as I go to move it anyway it wobbles al over the place.

Paul

Patrick Moreau December 11th, 2006 08:47 PM

Very informative post Eric. I do disagree with your last point though. When used properly, I think you can have very little unusable footage from the glidecam as compared to a second cam. I guess it depends what your criteria are, but I think the glidecam can make average events much more interesting to view and therefore 'usable'. A backup never hurts, and it can also work great to mix in the glidecam footage with a staionary cam for something like introductions.

Joe Allen Rosenberger December 12th, 2006 12:12 AM

Pat...you are NOT getting what Eric meant in his post. He means......atleast most likely he means....dont shoot a wedding with only one cam on a glidecam, thats how I took it....and yes, that would be a foolish thing to do.....atleast without a second cam going somewhere during the ceremony.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau
Very informative post Eric. I do disagree with your last point though. When used properly, I think you can have very little unusable footage from the glidecam as compared to a second cam. I guess it depends what your criteria are, but I think the glidecam can make average events much more interesting to view and therefore 'usable'. A backup never hurts, and it can also work great to mix in the glidecam footage with a staionary cam for something like introductions.

Eric Gan December 12th, 2006 01:08 AM

Charles, thanks for the correction regarding the number of fingers on the post. Now that I think about it, I feather 2 or 3 fingers on the post. I think I only use the 3rd finger when a little more "correction" is needed.

Patrick, are you flying with the Smooth Shooter vest? If so, yes, you can shoot for longer periods. But without a vest/arm, each "Glidecam" shot might last maybe 60 seconds or so before forearm exhaustion sets in (I have not tried the forearm brace, so I don't know how much that helps). The recovery time in-between is what I consider the "unusable" footage - there's bound to be a fair bit of camera shake as you either grip the post with your other hand, or stop rolling altogether. For me, I would definitely NOT feel comfortable shooting a live, non-repeatable event, with only a single camera on a Glidecam. It would be hell trying to find all the cutaways needed during the edit! On the other hand, I suppose if you only used it for the less critical part of the day (such as the photoshoot), that might work.

One trick I use is to rest the base of the Glidecam on my belt during "recovery" periods. It sort of acts as a monopod and provides for fairly stable shots. I now have a Smooth Shooter, but it's not always appropriate in all settings - e.g. crowded places. I love using it for photoshoots and pre-wedding location shots.

Paul: it takes a bit of time to learn how to balance the rig. Just keep making minute adjustments forward/back and left/right until the camera doesn't move when you hold the rig only by its handle. Perform the drop test. Then make more adjustments as necessary. And of course, have your viewfinder open, tape and battery loaded, before you start balancing!

Cheers,

Patrick Moreau December 12th, 2006 09:11 AM

Eric,

One of our videographers shoots the preps near continuously with the glidecam 4000 and much more footage is usable compared to somebody shooting it with a tripod. In his case, having a backup cam is definitely not needed. Even with fatigue, I find that a good operator can still produce good video as the motion in it is still more pleasing and doesn't resemble standard camera shake.

Joe and Eric,

I totally agree, certain events should not be shot without a second camera, but I would say that is true whether your main camera in on a glidecam or not. I personally wouldn't shot the ceremony with a glidecam if your crew was small, so I didn't see that as a time where one would really use the setup.

Paul Gallagher December 12th, 2006 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Gan

Paul: it takes a bit of time to learn how to balance the rig. Just keep making minute adjustments forward/back and left/right until the camera doesn't move when you hold the rig only by its handle. Perform the drop test. Then make more adjustments as necessary. And of course, have your viewfinder open, tape and battery loaded, before you start balancing!

Cheers,

Thanks Eric,

Its just for some 3rd camera shots I want it for and during the photoshoot and the first dance, to give a bit of variety to the shots.

Pauk