3rd camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 13th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #1
New Boot

3rd camera

I have just purchased a third camera for wedding shoots and I'm not exactley sure what would be the best placement for them. I have 2 canon xl1s' and a canon gl2. Any suggestions?
Shaftone Dunklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaftone Dunklin
I have just purchased a third camera for wedding shoots and I'm not exactley sure what would be the best placement for them. I have 2 canon xl1s' and a canon gl2. Any suggestions?
Back of venue fixed, right and tight on bride fixed, roam with the 3rd and get the money shots, crowd tearing up, parents of the bride/groom, officiant during his/her unity rap etc...

ml
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #3
New Boot

thank you for your input
Shaftone Dunklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaftone Dunklin
I feel Miguel's opinions make a lot of sense. I'm approaching my weddings from essentially the same point of view.

However, I feel it is extremely important you review camera angles for every segment of your job before you go on site. The careful review process will serve to identify weaknesses in your production concept and, because this is a shoot of spontaneous activity, there will be a lot of grey areas.
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Shaftone,

I agree with the previous responses, but it seems to me you must have already identified for yourself scenes you would like to capture with a 3rd camera that you're not getting with 2 cameras. Unless you have deep pockets, I can't imagine dropping a sizeable chunk of dough for a piece of equipment w/o already having a plan for using it.

Lacking a plan, I'd say a 3rd camera is a great safety net to fall back on in case one of your other two die on the job.
Old December 14th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tomkowiak
Shaftone,

I agree with the previous responses, but it seems to me you must have already identified for yourself scenes you would like to capture with a 3rd camera that you're not getting with 2 cameras. Unless you have deep pockets, I can't imagine dropping a sizeable chunk of dough for a piece of equipment w/o already having a plan for using it.

Lacking a plan, I'd say a 3rd camera is a great safety net to fall back on in case one of your other two die on the job.
Typically I only shoot 2, when i have had the pleasure of working with another shooter i will take my HC1 and leave it in the back of house semi wide for all my cut away shots then I will shoot the bride or groom, my partner will shoot the other and we'll visually check each other so as to make sure that we're not both panning of fishing for a shot at the same time. so far this approach has worked on almost every situation. to me i know within 5 minutes of being in a venue what shots i can do and can't and ask the pastor or priest or event coordinator what i won't be allowed to do so that I can modify my approach.

in the reception however that is a very different story and I've yet to find a real reason for the 3rd cam but give me time and i'll put it to use sometime down the road <grin>!

ml
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:53 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Lombana
in the reception however that is a very different story and I've yet to find a real reason for the 3rd cam but give me time and i'll put it to use sometime down the road <grin>!ml
I only use 2 at the reception and that's just because editing is so much easier with it. I'd be hard pressed to figure out a need for 3 though.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #8
New Boot

I should probably mention the fact that I got an excellent deal on the Gl2, almost free, I was just wondering how to add it to my production. My wife and I are usually standing behind the camera and she/we are still improving on our coordination. I was thinking of maybe posting up an xl1s on tripod in back for a wide angle, my wife posting up with an Xl1s on another tripod capturing the best angle of the bride and groom, and me floating with the Gl2. Usually she stands behind the camera posted in the rear.
Shaftone Dunklin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques