First Wedding Video - Please Critique at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 16th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #1
Major Player

First Wedding Video - Please Critique

Hey, I have finished my first wedding video the link below:

http://media.putfile.com/Short-Edit-41

I am 18 and just starting to get into this while I go to school If it proves to be a good source of income may stick with it after school. I would like it if the seasoned vets could critique my video. I don't care how much bad there is, actually I would prefer it, I will never get better unless I hear all the bad things about the video so I can change it for next time. I appreciate any feedback I can get from you guys in advanced.

I respect all of you guys so I will take all comments to heart.. Thanks for in advanced for the comments you provide.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Cannot get it to run for more than about 10 seconds. One of the first things I noticed was shaky footage - did you use a tripod or monopod?
Old December 16th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Esslinger
Cannot get it to run for more than about 10 seconds. One of the first things I noticed was shaky footage - did you use a tripod or monopod?
A tripod..

hm only 10 seconds?

later in the video its handheld on one camera tripod on the other 3
Old December 16th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Watch the dutch angles - way overused.

Your handheld shots need a lot of work - very shaky - that will come.

I'd have slowed things down a bit in certain parts - especially some of those 2 second snippets which were too fast at full speed. Also, slo-mo used sparingly can take away some of those shakes too.

Many of your "no-frills" shots were fine. You should've used more of them and not worry so much about matching the cuts with the music tempo. Don't sacrifice the story just for the sizzle.

Lose the congratulatory message at the end - everybody who matters knows who these people are.

I wish my first highlight would've looked half as good. Stay with it Louis - you're going to be pretty darned good some day.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele
Watch the dutch angles - way overused.

Your handheld shots need a lot of work - very shaky - that will come.

I'd have slowed things down a bit in certain parts - especially some of those 2 second snippets which were too fast at full speed. Also, slo-mo used sparingly can take away some of those shakes too.

Many of your "no-frills" shots were fine. You should've used more of them and not worry so much about matching the cuts with the music tempo. Don't sacrifice the story just for the sizzle.

Lose the congratulatory message at the end - everybody who matters knows who these people are.

I wish my first highlight would've looked half as good. Stay with it Louis - you're going to be pretty darned good some day.

what are "no-frills" shots, I am still learning and don't know what that means. Thanks for the comments!
Old December 16th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #6
Major Player

You're off and running

Hi Louis,

Great start - your first video clearly shows your passion so hang in there and you'll be hunting with the big boys before you know it. My first bit of advice would be to check out online demo videos by those in the business; you'll learn a ton about technique that you won't easily find in the books. Of course, since some videographers are only so-so, either use a discerning eye or have a mentor point out the best-in-class. Perhaps you can put a wedding videographer training DVD or two on your wish list. Also, ask around your local wedding videographers if they'll let you come along to do some B-roll shots and I'm sure they'll share some pointers.

Regarding feedback, work on your technique to steady your camera. Apparently you're using a lightweight gun-and-run camera so if you're off tripod, you'll want to try to brace your shoulder on a wall or at least keep both elbows tucked by your chest; work extra hard to develop smooth, steady shots until it's second nature to you.

Slooooow down the zooms, edits, pans and reduce the jump shots - remember, this is a solemn wedding, not a race. I realize that you were often trying to pace the edits with the music, but you've gone overboard unless your customer is an M-TV addict <wink>

About 1/4 way through where the bride is with her father, the hard light is washing out the subjects faces. Try bouncing the hard lights off the ceiling for use diffusion gels.

Pickup the camera - your framing is consistently too low. It is a lightweight camera, right? ... keep doing those pushups :-)

While I'm a sticker with audio quality, I realize good equipment has a price so try to do the best with what you can afford. Do your best to avoid overmodulating the groom's voice (I assume he was wired) - move the mic further away from his lapel so the bridge and minister are equal distances from the groom's mic. I do give you credit for trying to overlaying the vows over the music, and turn down the music another 20dB during the vows.

Again, great job for your first shoot.

Michael

BTW, "no frills" is basically quickie as-is shots; it's a generic term for unplanned shots never intended to serve a cinematic effect - some might even include B rolls or photo-journalism shots (although technically those typically serve a specific purpose)
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Nistler
Hi Louis,

Great start - your first video clearly shows your passion so hang in there and you'll be hunting with the big boys before you know it. My first bit of advice would be to check out online demo videos by those in the business; you'll learn a ton about technique that you won't easily find in the books. Of course, since some videographers are only so-so, either use a discerning eye or have a mentor point out the best-in-class. Perhaps you can put a wedding videographer training DVD or two on your wish list. Also, ask around your local wedding videographers if they'll let you come along to do some B-roll shots and I'm sure they'll share some pointers.

Regarding feedback, work on your technique to steady your camera. Apparently you're using a lightweight gun-and-run camera so if you're off tripod, you'll want to try to brace your shoulder on a wall or at least keep both elbows tucked by your chest; work extra hard to develop smooth, steady shots until it's second nature to you.

Slooooow down the zooms, edits, pans and reduce the jump shots - remember, this is a solemn wedding, not a race. I realize that you were often trying to pace the edits with the music, but you've gone overboard unless your customer is an M-TV addict <wink>

About 1/4 way through where the bride is with her father, the hard light is washing out the subjects faces. Try bouncing the hard lights off the ceiling for use diffusion gels.

Pickup the camera - your framing is consistently too low. It is a lightweight camera, right? ... keep doing those pushups :-)

While I'm a sticker with audio quality, I realize good equipment has a price so try to do the best with what you can afford. Do your best to avoid overmodulating the groom's voice (I assume he was wired) - move the mic further away from his lapel so the bridge and minister are equal distances from the groom's mic. I do give you credit for trying to overlaying the vows over the music, and turn down the music another 20dB during the vows.

Again, great job for your first shoot.

Michael
Thanks, yeah I am using a light weight "gun-and-run" camera. I am using the xl2. I asked for a lot of money for christmas (i asked for it from every person i know). I have not looked at any training material yet as I don't know which to buy, or where to buy it from. Any suggestions as to whats the best?

I also have a slow version that I did... should i put that on here as well.. or is this one good enough to learn from?
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #8
Major Player

My Canon XL-2 Colleague

Rehi Louis,

Great, so you're a fellow XL-2 buddy - good for you! No, I certainly wouldn't say a 10 pound camera was designed to be a gun-and-run shooter. Of course, that doesn't mean it can't be used that way - just be sure the shot matches what you're trying to accomplish for the target audience.

You don't need to necessarily include longer footage for a casual audience as found in these forums (save the longer stuff for local face-to-face mentors)

Okay, to study wedding videography, try these sites:

http://www.smcouples.com/hunter/highlights.mov

http://www.fxfilms.co.uk/movies/fxfilmsdemo.wmv

http://www.jadestudioproductions.com...FQxMGAod034wAQ

http://www.keepsakenw.tv/weddings/wedding_sample.html

http://www.lastcut.com/weddings/index.html

http://www.encorepresentation.com/

http://www.eugeneworks.com/BoppinDemo.wmv

And you can add this to your DVD training wish list:

The Ultimate Guide to the Canon XL2 at:
www.canondvguide.com

All the wedding video DVDs by:
www.TulsaWeddingFilms.com

Wedding Videographers and Advanced Broadcast Camera Techniques 1&2 by:
www.elitevideo.com

dv enlightenment by:
www.dvcreators.net

Shooting Awesome Video by:
www.dvcreators.net

If you're shooting on the run (w/o tripod), you might consider a Steady Stick SS3C (by Tiffen, designed to work on our XL2) - you'll find them searching on ebay for $100. And please extend my apology to your folks for wetting your appetite <wink>

Enjoy, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #9
Regular Crew

good work for your first wedding louis. you defo have what it takes. just need to have a steady hand but like the guys said that will come to you after doing a few. i really liked the start it grabbed my attention.

What was the name of the track you used?
Dennis Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Maddalena
what are "no-frills" shots, I am still learning and don't know what that means. Thanks for the comments!
Just straight shooting - without all the attempts at dutch angles and fancy camera movement.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #11
Still Motion

Hey Louis,

I'm curious, what is the name of the song you used?

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau
Hey Louis,

I'm curious, what is the name of the song you used?

Patrick
I have no idea I am sorry, I was told, but then I forgot the name! Its a hard one to remember. On my computer its known as "L&A Track 1"
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques