DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Happy New Year everybody (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/82850-happy-new-year-everybody.html)

Eric Gan December 31st, 2006 02:59 PM

Happy New Year everybody

Here's to a busy 2007 season!

My own brother got married and had a reception last night. I made a slideshow for him. I had some fun with the pictures....
http://www.vividmotion.net/jeffandjen/

2007 will be the first year for me doing this full time. I just incorporated a new company. I'm scared and super excited at the same time.

Best wishes to everyone in the New Year!

Monday Isa January 1st, 2007 12:48 AM

Hey Eric,
Happy New Years!!! How have things been? I pray 2007 will be a fruitful year for bro, and that you easily meet your business goals for this year. Last summer I went full time doing video production. It was a successful summer and I look forward to a successful year this year as a whole. Good job on the clip. Good use of 3D elements and moving pictures. Over all I liked it. A few animated pics did border line cheesey for me but it's subjective (ex. plane taking off but it did tie into the remaining clips). Good use of glidecam work in the 2nd half. I really liked when you headed in the direction of your brother and his wife and added a flash to a stationary wide shot of them walking on the shore of the beach. Thanks for sharing the clip Eric and again good job on it.

Monday

Vincent Croce January 1st, 2007 09:24 AM

I thought it was great, and obvious you put a good deal of time into the cutouts--loved you using the falling coconuts as a transition. Don't listen to Monday, Eric--he doesn't know cheese, he's only the expert on Maryland crab cakes (j/k, Mon). I think those animated cutout pics fit perfectly well with the music and feel of the whole piece.
Nice job. Your brother and Jen must have loved it.

Robert Johnston January 1st, 2007 03:28 PM

Happy new year everyone. Thanks for sharing that peice of work.

Stephen Vallis January 1st, 2007 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Gan
Here's to a busy 2007 season!

My own brother got married and had a reception last night. I made a slideshow for him. I had some fun with the pictures....
http://www.vividmotion.net/jeffandjen/

2007 will be the first year for me doing this full time. I just incorporated a new company. I'm scared and super excited at the same time.

Best wishes to everyone in the New Year!

And to you too!

Michael Y Wong January 3rd, 2007 08:20 AM

Happy new years everyone!

As always Eric, that was excellent (I am taking a wild guess and am assuming that the asian guy in blue tank top in the hawaii pix is you!). Ugh, wishing that they had a graphics package like that on the PC for the photos! Grrr!

What song is that that you always use for the ceremony?

Richard Wakefield January 3rd, 2007 08:42 AM

hi eric,

yeah, that was fun, and great to see something a bit different + creative...

but how long did you spend on that? hours/evenings? do you do that for every client or just relatives? :)

i do similar photoshop animations slideshows and i only chop up/animate few photos now, for the simple reason that it takes up too many precious hours.

the best thing i bought was a graphics tablet, because that cuts my time down dramatically....trouble is, i'm still too much of a perfectionist, feathering edges, cloning hair, colourising...must stop!!!

David J. Payne January 3rd, 2007 01:35 PM

happy new year to all.

I really enjoyed your montage.

Eric Gan January 4th, 2007 01:25 AM

Hey everyone, thanks for the positive feedback. Richard, I was in a time crunch to create this piece. I procrastinated until the last few days before the wedding reception. I whipped this together in about a day and a half. It's actually the first time I've employed the cut-out technique. I usually just use the standard Ken Burns effect, spliced with interviews with friends and family.

The keying/layering of photos didn't actually take that long. It was a little sloppy, but not too bad. What took the longest was selecting the photos! They had been dating for 10+ years, and my brother dropped off a DVD for me with all their photos on it. I resorted to viewing in thumbnail mode and basically randomly picking anything that looks decent. Although I always had an idea of how I wanted the piece to progress through the 4-minute song (I think that's always an important time-saver).

It's fun to watch the audience's reaction to the moving foreground/background. It think it's still something that a lot of people haven't seen before. They're not quite sure what's happening...

I used a program called ProShow Producer to make this. I read a good review and decided to give it a shot. It was much quicker compared to doing it in a traditional NLE. While the program was great for the slideshow portion, I ran into some difficulties importing DV footage. I would totally recommend this for making slideshows, but make sure to do some testing if you plan on integrating video in your final presentation.

Cheers,