DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Requesting meals at wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/82876-requesting-meals-wedding.html)

Michael J. Long January 1st, 2007 06:24 AM

Requesting meals at wedding

Anyone suggest a classy and proper way to request meals for the videographer and assisitant at the reception. How to word in conract.
Thanks

Alastair Brown January 1st, 2007 06:44 AM

I usually find standing outside the reception window salivating works!

I'd word it into your website/advertising somewhere in a nice way that you work better if fed! Usually, I get offered something by the catering staff without question. Only once have I given up looking sorry for myself and had to venture out in search of food.

Failing that, a flask and some instant noodles!

Mike Cassidy January 1st, 2007 07:24 AM

I prefer to take my own food, at least I know it'll be something I like, and it's often a lot better than that served at the reception!
Also, it gives me a break away from the guests!
If you put it in the contract, it might cost you in the long run, by offending some people. Just cover for it in your prices and fend for yourself.

Don Bloom January 1st, 2007 08:11 AM

I don't request a meal AT the reception but it is stated in my service agreement with the couple that a meal is to be provided for the videographers OR we can leave for up to an hour to get food. No one ever wants us to leave so they do provide. Now I don't need to eat what the gueasts are eating nor do I need to sit with them but I DO need to eat. Since MOST not all but most receptions in my area seem to have about a 2 to 3 % rate of no shows (people that RSVP Yes and don't show-very rude IMO) the couple or their representative or the room manager usually tells me and the photog and the DJ to sit where there's an empty seat. They're paying for the meal anyway so why waste it. I like getting out of the room to relax BUT being in the room just in case is good also so it's 6 of one half dozen of the other but back to the original point. I tell my clients and it is in writing that they are to provide a meal and so far in all the years I've been doing it as part of my agreement no one has ever refused nor had a problem with it.
As long as they know in advance-don't wait until the day of.
Don

Vincent Croce January 1st, 2007 09:09 AM

My contract has this entry--
Provisions. If the total job time exceeds four hours, Videographers must either be supplied food and non-alcoholic beverage(s) by Client, or the Videographers shall be permitted one hour to leave to get food.

None of my clients has had any problems with it, and it's definitely not rude to make sure you get to feed yourself and any assistant(s)...

Rick Steele January 1st, 2007 12:50 PM

Kind of long winded but here's mine:

MEALS: If a dinner is planned for your guests we ask that you please add 2 meals to your guest count at the banquet hall. While we generally do not film during this time (for the comfort of your guests), we would prefer to stay at the venue should anything unexpected happen during this time that should be recorded. We also ask, if a buffet is planned that we be allowed to line up directly behind the wedding party so we may quickly finish and begin preparations for the remainder of the evening. If meals are to be served to each table, we ask that a similar serving arrangement be made. Should meal arrangement not be possible (and that’s ok), we will leave the venue for 45 minutes and only after the dinner segment of your day has officially begun.

Mike F Smith January 1st, 2007 09:53 PM

I never eat at a wedding unless i happen to be in the kitchen and the staff offers. I take something light to eat with me and use that time to get geared up and refocused mentally on the work ahead. For me I just don't think it is the right thing to do.

Don Bloom January 1st, 2007 10:20 PM

While this subject has been discussed ad nauseum and both sides discussed, torn apart, argued over and disected almost as many times as copyright issues, I still hold to my original point from 35 years ago even as a still photographer doing weddings. I work a 10 to 12 hour day and I WILL eat. Whether I eat with the guests or have the same meal is irrelavant but I WILL eat. For those that wish to skip a meal and work during that time or feel it's not right (not sure what that means but...) thats their perogative and fine with me but my perogative is to EAT, I'm entitled to a meal whether they provide it or not is not the issue, if they don't I have the right by contract to go out for up to an hour and EAT. A 10 to 12 hour day is too long to go without it.

Again, I'm not saying any one is right or wrong nor am I looking to start a controversy about this subject but too each his or her own. It's what ever you feel works for you or what you need personally from a nutriten standpoint I guess and I suppose at my ripe old age now I need more than some of the younger guys/girls.
Just my $.04 worth (adjusted for 2007 cost of living)

Don

Peter Jefferson January 1st, 2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike F Smith
I never eat at a wedding unless i happen to be in the kitchen and the staff offers. I take something light to eat with me and use that time to get geared up and refocused mentally on the work ahead. For me I just don't think it is the right thing to do.

each to their own, but when ur on ur feet for no less than 12hours nonstop, a meal is welcome.. in addiiton to that, i do many weddings with varying cultures and if u DONT eat, they get offended... do a serb or maco wedding and shoo tthe morning stuff and if the mother dont see u eat, theres hell to pay.. lol

Alastair Brown January 1st, 2007 10:57 PM

I would add, I have on my check sheet a Mars Bar and a drink which I keep in the car. Over here, the pictures are usually taken at a different location to the ceremony. After the ceremony, I'm usually a little frazzled and throw this down my neck as we drive from the church to the pictures location. Especially on sunny days this is a pretty sensible thing to do as you can get dehydrated pretty quickly and there is NOTHING worse than having to film the evening reception with a THUMPING headache because you let yourself get dehydrated (I did it once...hence the checklist entry now!)

Peter Jefferson January 1st, 2007 11:49 PM

berry powerade powder mixed for a 2 litre bottle, frozen overnight, i also take 2 sandwiches and tonnes of mars/snicker bars.. but a meal as in real food is always welcome.. in my contract i put it down as 90min as sometimes reception venues are nowhere near decent eating holes, (i learnt that the hard way once.. lol) another thing i do is ask for breadrolls and butter. if my meal is delayed (which is usually the case as many times the hired help are considered "substandard" so were conveniently forgotten.. ) so were either fed late or not fed at all.. but ive done weddings in certain establishments where i KNOW a meal will be asking for a miracle

Including meals (and parking) is now pretty much a standard thing if u feel you need to have it covered. most couples know to expect this anyway so its really no big deal (even though theyre paying for the meal itself.. )

Michael J. Long January 2nd, 2007 03:57 AM

Meals

thanks To All Happy New Year

Rick Steele January 2nd, 2007 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike F Smith
I never eat at a wedding unless i happen to be in the kitchen and the staff offers. I take something light to eat with me and use that time to get geared up and refocused mentally on the work ahead.

Wedding dinners typically last an hour and a half which should be plenty of time to finish and be ready to go for the rest of the evening IMO. I've never found anything worthy enough to record during this time anyway without having Aunt Edna in the frame chewing her food like she hadn't eaten since last Tuesday. There have also been times when I've left the venue for 45 minutes and nobody even knew I was gone. I enjoy that little break which only comes after 7-8 hours of non stop work.

To each his own I guess...

Joe Allen Rosenberger January 2nd, 2007 01:49 PM

I used to wait for the venue to server our food, this has been a pain in the butt. What it comes down to know is, we take our break when we feel is the best time to do so.....and NOT when the venue decides to bring the vendors some food. So, we pack our lunces in a cooler with ice, etc., go to our car or what not and break when we "know" is the best time......this is the only way I will do it anymore. I am not going to let a venue decide when to feed me/my crew.....and they rarely help us out efficiently.

If youre working a long wedding day, you really should take a break.....grab a bite. You will feel much better when shooting the rest of the day.

I am just not relying on venues or my clients to make arrangements for their vendors....because they rarely do no matter what the contact says.....

Mike F Smith January 2nd, 2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
each to their own, but when ur on ur feet for no less than 12hours nonstop, a meal is welcome.. in addiiton to that, i do many weddings with varying cultures and if u DONT eat, they get offended... do a serb or maco wedding and shoo tthe morning stuff and if the mother dont see u eat, theres hell to pay.. lol

I certainly wasn't saying not to take a meal break. I just prefer to be away from the din and crowd for a while. I find it more restful.