Beach weddings... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 4th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Trustee

Beach weddings...

We shot a beach ceremony last Saturady in HDV (canon H1 and Sony FX1-first time). It was on Miami beach and was a real circus. On lookers,wind,guys carrying chaise lounges,kids,strolling shirtless guitar playing beach combers. The worst part was during the actual ceremony. The grooms' family had some tact...they stayed in their seats even when they wanted to take pictures. The brides' family, however, was another story.
They had obviously just gotten a special deal on a dozen or so cheap digital cameras, and insisted being in EVERY one of my shots! Imagine a nice shot of the b+g exchanging vows and kissing, framed against the beautifull ocean background. Then imagine cousin Fausto, sister Dolores de Barriga, the photog and assistant, and assorted beach combers and gawkers, in that and almost every shot! I felt like I was shooting "behind the scenes".
The next time I get call for a beach wedding I'll...
1- Tell the b+g to let everyone know that they need to stay in their seats, and keep the cams in their knock off Luis Vuitton bags.
2- Charge an extra $100 for blowing the sand off of all my gear, and wd 40'ing my tripods.
Hasta la vista,baby.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #2

LOL.....not laughing at you, Bruce...but, your tale is oh so right on.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks ,Bill. Go ahead and laugh...it's ok. I had more fun writing the post than shooting the weding.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Hello Bruce! Thanx for the heads up as I'll be doing a beach wedding in a month!

and LOL @ the post! :)
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #5
Trustee

Michael,
On a serious note, I would make sure that whoever is in charge tells friends and family, BEFORE the ceremony, NOT to stick their little cams in the middle of the pro shots.It's idiotic for them to pay for video and a photographer,and have a bunch of dummies ruining the shots.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

That is funny Bruce! I had a simular experiance recently and was going to post it for all to laugh at too. The thing with the disposable cameras is a real mess and a growing problem. I tried to keep this one guy out of the pictures and I could not. During the actual vows, the groom had to turn and tell him to go away. He was standing right behind them and in front of me!

I had an aunt come up to me just before the ceremony and ask me how to use a disposable video camera from CVS drug store! She told me she was going to make a DVD for the couple! This happened while I was holding $5,000 worth of video and audio gear on my shoulder, and I had an assistant with another camera too!!!!!!!!!!!!! I helped her!

Oh, and mine was not on a beach, but on a dock. It was supposed to start at 5:00pm, with sunset at 5:29pm. The bride showed up late and the wedding did not start until 5:50pm, I think you can figure that one out! :)

As far as the beach stuff, I put baggies on the tripod legs then tape them in place.

Mike
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #7

have you tried the local rental shop for romulan cloaking devices?.....for the spectators, of course
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #8
Inner Circle

There is a simple professional solution to all of this. You bring a boom with you. You mount your old heavy VHS Camera on it. Everytime someone stands up to take a photo, you swing the boom toward them and knock them down.....
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I liek ti bring a friend of mine who used to play pro football (US football that is)
He's 6'4" and goes about 290-all he has to do is look at them and they SIT---STAY---HEEL!
Of course if he stands by me it's like a total eclipse of the sun.
Darkness reigns over me.... (I'm 5'6" 155-like Mutt and Jeff)
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
There is a simple professional solution to all of this. You bring a boom with you. You mount your old heavy VHS Camera on it. Everytime someone stands up to take a photo, you swing the boom toward them and knock them down.....

AHah. That's great. On a serious note though, I have this in my contract. Drop to Design requests that no video taping not by Drop to Desigin be allowed during the ceremony.

I'm trying the 'request' wording first, if I continue to get these people with thier stupid cell phones, I'll change the wording. But if it's in my contract, I will go up to someone and tell them to put thier camera away, as long as I catch it prior to the ceremony starting.
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #11
Trustee

Chris,
How about a tazer on the end of the boom?

Steven,
I like the idea of putting something like that in the contract.

Mike,
I like the bag idea for the tripod legs. Now if I could just keep my girlfriend/second camera person from dropping her tripod flat down into the sand...
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #12
Inner Circle

LOL beach weddings.. one of teh reason why i bought an all weather slipcover (Kata make good ones)

anyways, depsite the shotcomings, they can be lushious events... ive got another strange one happening in march.. Clifftop wedding at 10am.. lighting IS going to be pretty atrocious with the harsh morning glare over the ocean, but i'l be running daylights so hopefully that will help... my biggest concern is wind noise.. so im brinign the whole Zeppelin Senny 486 kit and putting a boom on a stand... then im micing up EVERYONE (the bride even agreed to a hair mic and her hairdresser has done stage shows so she knows how to to it, which is a godsend) but in the end, its still goign to be a hit or miss affair
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #13
Trustee

Peter,
That sounds like a SERIOUS production.Btw, did you realize that you spell "the" as "teh" in all your posts?
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Ocean Wind Noise?

Bruce,

Wondering how the FX-1 handled the wind noise during your shoot?

(Assuming at least 10MPH wind factor)... Did you use the camera's "wind" setting and/or add a Rycote/deadcat to your external mic(s) or both?

Thanks,

John Reilly
John Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #15
Trustee

John,
the wind noise made the Fx1's audio unusable. I've been too lazy to get a windscreen for the stock mic.It didn't matter because I was uing the udio from my canon H1 (shotgun with wind screen and a sennheiser lav for the groom). But thanks for reminding me to get one for the FX1.
Bruce S. yarock
Btw, we're putting together a quick music video from that shoot, and I'll try to post it.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques