DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Upcoming Wedding for Australian couple (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/83287-upcoming-wedding-australian-couple.html)

Billy Mallari January 6th, 2007 11:54 AM

Upcoming Wedding for Australian couple

I am located here in Canada and doing a wedding for a couple from Australia next month. They are flying to Canada to have their wedding. I shoot with NTSC camera and edit in Premiere as NTSC. But I think they use PAL in Australia. I have not tried making a DVD for someone outside North America. Can DVD players in Australia play NTSC format? I cant make the video in PAL format because they have families in Canada and Im not sure if DVD players in North America can watch PAL videos.

Just today I tried importing some of my NTSC footages from a different wedding and create a new project in Premiere (Standard -PAL). The size is different which means I have to adjust the scale of the footage.

Im not sure if I should turn down this job.

Patrick Moreau January 6th, 2007 01:08 PM

It may be worth a small surcharge for your extra time, but definitely not something I would turn the job down for.

The easiest option would be to buy them a DVD player for $100 that plays NTSC and PAL, make all your DVDs in NTSC then they can play their copy at home and family in Canada can use theirs as well.

The other option, which is what we often do when we encounter this, is simply make two DVDs- one in NTSC and one in PAL. The key is to make the PAL DVD at the encoding stage. Export all your files as NTSC and make the DVD as you would normally. Then go back and export from your editor to PAL. When you open your DVD authoring program, you then set everything to PAL, import your PAL files, and make a second DVD. On a mac, I can do the extra exporting, DVD menu authoring and everything in a couple hours of computer exporting and 20-30 minutes of actual work.

Ben Lynn January 6th, 2007 06:50 PM

Patrick said it right. Shoot and edit as normal. Export from the timeline as PAL. The encoding takes some time but the actual work involved is very minimal. The DVD software will handle the PAL material just like NTSC.

Go for it.

Ben

Ben Lynn January 6th, 2007 06:51 PM

Duplicate posting. Sorry.

Peter Jefferson January 6th, 2007 06:53 PM

Billy ALL dvd players can play movies from any region, as studio made dvds (ie the stuff we make) is region free, your clients shouldnt have any problems playing an NTSC disc in PAL land. I do the mirror of this with clients sending PAL dvds to NTSCLand...

one thing though, to be sure, u can always send them a sample of some work and ask them to doublecheck. Theoretically it should work, and from my expereince im yet to have an issue in doing this (save from those that tweak their dvd players to not auto adjust) but even with region coding and frame rate differences, the disc should still play...

Billy Mallari January 6th, 2007 10:13 PM

How about the TV? Should the TV be able to accept NTSC signals as well even if the DVD player can play the NTSC video in PAL land. Just out of curiosity, is there diffence in quality?

Peter Jefferson January 7th, 2007 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Mallari
How about the TV? Should the TV be able to accept NTSC signals as well even if the DVD player can play the NTSC video in PAL land. Just out of curiosity, is there diffence in quality?

hmm.. god question.. the dvd player shoudl be fine as it will act as the converter, however as the refresh is 60hz, u might have issues with those runnign 50hz oly tv's.. if the tv can handle 60hz, it wnt be an issue.
might be an idea to put that on ur box art, as it WILL work, it jsut needs 60hz

as for difference.. teh only real difference is colour space (as ur sourcing from NTSC 4:1:1 to mpg2 4:2:0, vs PAL 4:2:0 to mpgs2 4:2:0) as well as resolution... 720x576 vs 720x480

there is also the issue of frame rate, butthis wont have an adverse affect on imag quality