DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Pinnacle users... (help)WHERE DID MY SOUND GO!!?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/83314-pinnacle-users-help-where-did-my-sound-go.html)

Dawn Brennan January 6th, 2007 11:01 PM

Pinnacle users... (help)WHERE DID MY SOUND GO!!??

Okay, I did a wedding in September and sent a preview to the Bride. She watched the entire DVD and asked for 2 very minor changes. Everything was "technically" okay with the preview though. So I made the changes and sent her the final copy. She emailed me yesterday saying the sound completely cut out after 10 minutes. I go back to Pinnacle to take a look and the sound is there and working just fine.

I make another copy and the sound drops out after less than 6 minutes. I made an image of it for my computer and the sound drops out in 2 minutes and I just made another DVD and the sound drops out ofter 28 seconds. What in the world is going on? Its still working perfectly when I view it through Pinnacle in editing mode.

I give up for tonight, but any words of advice would be great at this point. (remembering why I was looking into Vegas!!)

Richard Wakefield January 7th, 2007 02:26 AM

I've never used Pinnacle, and hence know nothing about it, but sometimes it helps to do something really random like:

1. JUST capture/render the entire audio of the edit as a .wav or .mp3....if that plays back fine, then mute the other audio tracks, and put this new 'final' one back in on a separate audio track. Sounds silly, but it might just work for this particular edit.

2. render the project out in parts, and see if you get the same problem?

3. check your audio render settings are how they normally are (44.1khz, stereo etc etc). They might have somehow changed to say, something alot more complex for your PC to manage. (some weird encoding rates?)

Sounds like a bug, hopefully a one-off....so at least maybe try those suggestions, which luckily won't ruin anything in your original edit

Any pinnacle users out there, who can help Dawn out?
Good luck!

Peter Jefferson January 7th, 2007 10:04 AM

Pinnacle what?
what r u using? Liquid? Studio?

waht richard says woudl be the trick, but i would assume that your runnign either a filter which is corrupt, or the output file has been corrupted somehow.
L6 and above lets u render as ac3, are u doing that?
Also if ur runnign windows, try to check ur system restore and revert it back to a closer time to when u created the initial disc. U may have inadvertanly corrupted a driver.. which IMO is what has happened here..
Another thing could wel be the background render of the audio.
Check ur databasing directly, however, i think intstead of tryin to decipher the jargon of the BG files, u just play out and record as Wav...
would be simpler than fishing through files and reviewing the ones u want to delete.. u dont want to break anymore than u already have..

Liquid has the tendency to "break" which is why i only ever recomend it as dedicated, on a machine which has no contact with the outside world.. ie, NO other apps,... EVER.. NEVER....
Just Windows XP, drivers and Liquid and THATS IT... anything else can break it.. liquid is alot like vegas where its flexible with the codecs it accepts and spits out.. thing is, depite its power, Liquid has many MANY elements which require attention.

Dawn Brennan January 7th, 2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
Pinnacle what?
what r u using? Liquid? Studio?

Sorry, I didn't specify. I am using Studio. To do a "go-around" I am reverting to an earlier version of the same file and just doing the re-edits that were requested. But I really wish I knew what happened. I am going to check into the drivers, because I agree with you. Now that I slept on it, I am a bit more rational and think that may be the cause. Thanks Peter and Richard!

Rick Steele January 7th, 2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn Brennan
Sorry, I didn't specify. I am using Studio.

Ignore all the advice given up to this point. "Studio" is your problem.

I don't think Pinnacle (now Avid) has ever worked right since version 7. It's the most fickle, error prone software I've ever used and will yield different results with each render. What does it sell for now... $60? You get what you pay for I guess.

Throw it away. (Trust me).

Dave Stern January 7th, 2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Steele
Ignore all the advice given up to this point. "Studio" is your problem.

I don't think Pinnacle (now Avid) has ever worked right since version 7. It's the most fickle, error prone software I've ever used and will yield different results with each render. What does it sell for now... $60? You get what you pay for I guess.

Throw it away. (Trust me).

problem is, the project is mostly complete, just needs to be finished, then that's probably not a bad recommendation at all..pinnacle is so tempting, but once you get up the learning curve on something new, you won't look back.

definitely go to the pinnacle site and make sure you have the latest patches (of which there may be many), and do a restore point in XP before you do that just in case you have to roll back (e.g. if things get worse). Also check their forums. Reinstall if you have to, although sometimes pinnacle needed a special registry edit / removal to ensure a complete uninstall...again check the forums.. good luck...

once this proj. is done, might be worth selecting a new editing package. I'm a strong vegas believer, but there are many good choices out there.

Dawn Brennan January 7th, 2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Stern
problem is, the project is mostly complete, just needs to be finished, then that's probably not a bad recommendation at all..pinnacle is so tempting, but once you get up the learning curve on something new, you won't look back.

definitely go to the pinnacle site and make sure you have the latest patches (of which there may be many), and do a restore point in XP before you do that just in case you have to roll back (e.g. if things get worse). Also check their forums. Reinstall if you have to, although sometimes pinnacle needed a special registry edit / removal to ensure a complete uninstall...again check the forums.. good luck...

once this proj. is done, might be worth selecting a new editing package. I'm a strong vegas believer, but there are many good choices out there.

Thanks Dave. I am working to re-install the software, but like everything else I have experienced in Studio, there are problems. I am planning on buying Vegas, but I just need to make it through this project, like you said. Thanks for the help.

Denis Danatzko January 8th, 2007 12:32 AM

Try the Pinnacle web site.

I "cut my teeth" in editing with Studio. Started with edn. 7 and am now up to Studio 9 Plus, and each upgrade was via download.. Other than tortuously slow rendering, it's always worked for me. However, while I have moved up to the Adobe Video Bundle/Creative Suite, I still use Studio from time-to-time.

For help from those knolwedgeable about Studio, a couple years back I joined the Pinnacle Users Forum. There are LOTs of answers there to be found for all sorts of questions and problems, but be prepared to do numerous searches to find them. (I think you must register to use the site, though). While the same question is often posed repeatedly, the language differs from one poster to another. Finding the answer to your particular question may take some time, but if you REALLY want to know what happened, give it a shot.

If you don't find the answer, post a new question after registering. I found replies posted to my questions within 24 hrs. Some participants there are eager to help, but may give brief answers because they're so familiar with the app.

Good luck.

Dawn Brennan January 8th, 2007 02:43 AM

Follow up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn Brennan
Thanks Dave. I am working to re-install the software, but like everything else I have experienced in Studio, there are problems. I am planning on buying Vegas, but I just need to make it through this project, like you said. Thanks for the help.

Looks like I got it to work! I reinstalled everything from scratch and creaded a DVD image on my HD. I just checked and I have sound from beginning to end! Thanks all for your thoughts. I am planning to finish the last project I'm working on (after this one) and then switching to Vegas. I liked Pinnacle most of the time, so it can still hang around for a back up and quick edits. G'night!

Alastair Brown January 8th, 2007 03:48 AM

Get Vegas, take your copy of Studio outside and BURN IT! I wasted countless hours with that bug ridden "Pile-O-Poo". Their were times when I would literally be ready to hurl my PC out of the window because after 24hrs of rendering it would "fail to compile!" yet again. Thankfully a kind soul took pity on me, and pointed me in the direction of Vegas. It's ULTRA stable and just works. You can actually do editing, rather than spend your life looking for workarounds for the latest weird thing Pinnacle did with every fresh patch (usually weekly!).

Just a guess, you may have accidentaly dropped or deleted a volume point when you changed the clip.

Now.......go get VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!