A Good Light - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 15th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #16
Major Player

The first place I would try is the Private Classifieds right here on DVinfo. I believe it requires 10 postings before you can view them, but it's the best place to sell or buy used equipment. Make a few more postings and when the section pops up you'll see what I mean.

If you sell your GL2 first, do you have a camera you can use while your looking for a sony? Maybe try and get that lined up in the meantime.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris David
Thank you all so much for your help! I have been told to get rid of the gl2 and get into a sony!

Now, the question is how! Money is tight, but I could afford to pay the difference if I sold my Gl2.

Any ideas, besides ebay, on picking up a low hour sony and selling my gl2?

Chris
Chris,

Hello to a fellow Texan. As has been mentioned, your problem in the fire scenario isn't going to be solved with more light. You simply need a camera that can see in the dark much easier. The PD170 is pretty much the undisputed champion of 1/3 in cameras for low light performance. I would also recommend looking around at used broadcast equipment vendors for a camera with 2/3 sensors. Oddly enough, BetaSP (analog format) is still the most widely used format in news gathering. You can pick up used, refurbished BetaSP cameras for a few grand.

If you can't do that, then try to make use of the light provided on scene by the fire trucks as Don mentioned and get as close as possible. Even if you do get a much more powerful light, you want to be careful about inadvertently blinding an emergency worker like Ben stated.

Good luck,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks

It works out good because I'm a firefighter as well. I actually shot a lot for a website I own and operate www.TheBravestOnline.com. Some of my work in on the site.

Sometimes I will throw the camera up in the cab and let it roll.

I also run other departments calls in which I ususally sell to the news. A lot of my footage has been used for training within departments. I recently shot a Natural gas explosion/leak/Fire which was the top story for all 5 major stations in Houston!

I'm going to probably buy a sony and THEN sell the Gl2. I don't have another camera and can't afford to hold onto them both.

Now the next big question....Vx2100 or Pd150/170?
Chris David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris David
Now the next big question....Vx2100 or Pd150/170?
Image wise, they are the same camera. The PD170 adds a few higher end features such as XLR audio. If funds allow, go for the PD170. My motto is 'better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it', within reason.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #20
Trustee

Have you been listening to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
My motto is 'better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it', within reason.
Have you been listening to... These guys?
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:21 AM   #21
Regular Crew

The Lowell I Light is an excellant light for your needs. It has a 55 w halogen bulb that really is an automobile headlight bulb. The glass lens is diffused. This is good for a flood lamp at medium distances. The I Light also has a spotlight knob that will concentrate the beam to give good lighting at least 50 ft away. The construction of the light is solid and it can take a beating although it is slightly on the heavy side.

I would also limit my lighting as much as possible, taking advantage of the on scene floodlights. If a firefighter is suddenly hit with a blinding light, there is a sudden loss of sight until the eyes adjust which could possibly result in a dangerous condition for the firefighter. Also the camera light, if not sufficient, over illuminates the stripes on the firegear giving an un-natural look.
Allen W
Allen Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques