DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   I need your expert opinion. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/84075-i-need-your-expert-opinion.html)

Matthew Amirkhani January 16th, 2007 05:55 PM

I need your expert opinion.

Hi guys I have just joined the forum and would like to get your opinion.
I just bought my XHA1 and VERY VERY excieted.

what you guys think of doing wedding shoots in DV24F or I should do them in Dv 60i?
Please keep in mind that I use Vegas editing software. so help me here!!

Thanks
Matthew

Chris Hurd January 16th, 2007 06:03 PM

Moved to Weddings and Events. The decision between 60i and 24p is strictly one of personal aesthetics, but perhaps this forum will have some constructive input for you.

Peter Jefferson January 16th, 2007 07:49 PM

considering the virtual no loss res in frame mode, id shoot 24f

Patrick Moreau January 17th, 2007 07:34 AM

Isn't 60i much better for slow motion compared to 24p or 24F?

Not only that, I could maybe pick out two or three couples I have worked with how might be able to see a difference between 24p and 60i, so I find it hard to think it would be an attractive feature overall.

Peter Jefferson January 17th, 2007 04:00 PM

hey pat, it depends on how its done... im on remote but il explin more wen i get back

Andrew Ott January 17th, 2007 11:13 PM

You could always shoot 60i and convert it to 24p in post. For the shots you want as slow motio, use the 60i and slow it down by 60% (to 40% speed) so that it matches the rest of your 24p footage.

Matthew Amirkhani January 18th, 2007 11:58 AM

Excellent point Andrew,
I think I 'll just do that since I don't want any motion blur or headaches!!

Matthew

Ethan Cooper January 18th, 2007 02:52 PM

what method do you use to convert the 60i stuff to 24p?

Matthew Amirkhani January 18th, 2007 05:11 PM

Hi Ethan,
I myself use Sony Vegas 6 & 7.

Peter Jefferson January 18th, 2007 11:17 PM

Vegas wont have an issue with any format you throw at it..

as for the camera.. shooting in 60i for conversion may not be the best opiton.. IMP shooting native alows the cam to do al teh converting fo ryou, in turn offering a better interpolation of frames (considering 24/5F is a frame mode from interlaced source) Use the Digic processor dude.. it kicks ass...

as for slowmotion, with vegas, id say shoot 24/5f at a faster shutter, WITH sharpness boosted one or 2 levels in cam.. then when u run it through vegas, do it in EVEN increments.. i do it in lots of 25%, render with supersample, then reimport then do it again (depending on how fast i want the footage.. most of the time though, i dont need to do this unless im bring somethign down to less than 33% or something..

Vegas interpolates FRAMES better than it interpolates fields IMO.. so your slomo should look cleaner and sharper from a progressive source.
Also, Dont run slowmotion if you intned on blowing out certain colours.. do teh filtering, THEN apply the slow mo.. same with reframing a composition..If vegas sees a peak blowing out over 255 peak, then the slow motin will flicker and stutter and look like rubbish.. keep levelsa low and dont forget to tweak your in cam gamma settings.. tehy can offer wider dynamic range which help tenfold in post..