Why this forum is so GREAT!!!?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 22nd, 2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Why this forum is so GREAT!!!??

Even though I've been a member to DvInfo.net for awhile now - I finally got the opportunity to shoot my very first wedding a couple of weeks ago.. Oh my God what a wonderful experience!! What made it so wonderful?? Because of the experience, knowledge, and tips shared in this very forum.. It made the day go as smooth as humanly possible and in the end, I know it made me a better videographer on this special day of watching two close friends get married..

So many details, so many tips, I don't know where to start.. And while everyone has their own top 5 list, here's mine:

1.) Batteries - I have three large cells for my DVX100b - only used one and a half that covered the entire 5 hours. The DVX100b handled itself SO incredibly well - I was very very proud of it.

2.) Know your capabilities and options *AHEAD* of time. Knowing that my DVX100b in dark light situations allowed me to use it very well during an evening/low ambient lighting situation. Playing with the camera for the last year helped me know how to do adjustments on the fly instead of fumbling around with the controls and end up losing valuable shots. We employed a 3 camera shot (two manned, one unmanned) that really worked well in our situation.

3.) Comfortable shoes - or get involved in some sort of exercise program. I'm coming off an injury to my knee that kept me out of action for a long time. But I was not as prepared for standing 5 hours as I wanted to be - but considering my knee injury - there was only so much I could do.

4.) Develop a wonderful rapport with the bride and groom - and their families going into the wedding day.. We were lucky that these were friends of ours, but considering other circumstances - we weren't able to get all of the shots and poses like we had wanted because we were contact virtually "last minute" and had no chance to sit down with them to schedule out some dedicated shot time. I realize everyone's technique and style is different, but developing a good communication bond with the bride and groom is key..

5.) Good audio = good capture.. I have a wonderful Sennheiser kit - where we employed not just a wireless lavalier mic, but at the reception, we had a wireless condenser that was able to be directed on stage when things were happening.

Above all else - I want to thank everyone on here for taking the extra ten to twenty minutes to type out the thoughtful responses on these topics and by providing access to their tips-n-tricks they've learned over the years.. Everyone on here is simply awesome!!

Thank you!!
-Michael
Michael McGruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael McGruder
And while everyone has their own top 5 list, here's mine:-Michael
Michael, I have been shooting for over twenty five years and I totally agree.
Allen W
Allen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, I don't know where I would be if it was not for forums such as this one. I can't even fathom the amount of knowledge and wisdom I have gained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Williams
Michael, I have been shooting for over twenty five years
I'm sorry. lol jk

Jonathan
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:37 PM   #4
Trustee

Forums = Knowledge = Less Stress

These boards have been a great resource for me as well. My main holdups are all the finances to implement the solutions I've been given. :-)

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

yes indeed, thos forum is a pool of info.. i just wish more people would post and not just lurk around waiting for the next golden apple to arrive...

Im sure there are plenty of potential posters and of the 1 post we see, theres probably 10 observers
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques