Creative Inspiration at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 29th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Creative Inspiration

Hello, All...

I know we have many talented people on the Wedding board. I was just wondering...where do you get your creative ideas or inspiration.

I'm not here to collect ideas but it's just a survey on what inspires you to get into the creative mood in creating a wedding video.
Jaime Espiritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Espiritu
Hello, All...

I know we have many talented people on the Wedding board. I was just wondering...where do you get your creative ideas or inspiration.

I'm not here to collect ideas but it's just a survey on what inspires you to get into the creative mood in creating a wedding video.
I gather inspiration from so many outlets. Not only from other peers but from movies, television, music, etc. Being part of online communities like this are a HUGE part of facilitating this.
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #3
Still Motion

I'de tend to agree with Glen but also add equipment to the list. I always find new gear really inspires me to try new styles and things.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #4
New Boot

I would say that my biggest inspiration are the many talented people in these forums and the wonderful work that they do! It is amazing how much you can learn from watching other people's work and listen to the advice of other videographers
Todd Westacott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau
I'de tend to agree with Glen but also add equipment to the list. I always find new gear really inspires me to try new styles and things.
Ditto, equipment is what inspired me to start making videos.

Now a'days, I can videotape anything, even a wedding, and find pleasure out of creating something professional and creative. The reward comes from the reactions of the customers. If they love it, I am happy as a lark. IMO, there is absolutly nothing better then making people laugh, that would be my all time favorite reaction from an audience.

I am also inspired by the progress of my skills. I compare videos I made two years ago with the stuff I make now and I can't believe how far I have come. It just makes me want to go further and refine even more. I still consider myself a noob, far from successful.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:36 PM   #6
Major Player

While I shoot to a fairly well defined outline I really let the footage dictate how to maintain a sense of continuity from one sequence to the next. I find the issue is working out a method of getting from one image sequence to the next in a way that makes sense. First there is the story line, then there is what I call "matching luminance". I almost always use cuts. A switch in camera angle must be perceived as a natural progression. It should not be recognized, and luminance values from one shot to the next should not be a "slap in the face". If I have bright whites in the upper left quadrant of the image, for example, and the next image sequence has black blacks in the same quadrant, that is likely a slap that could be a break my viewer's attention span.

If I manned all of my cameras, things might be a lot easier. But I do not man all of my cameras. So there is always a bit of "adventure" when the footage is subject to review, which could be called the "should I shoot him now or later syndrome".

Somehow, I have to get from white whites to black blacks in a way that makes perfect visual sense. That is a creative endeavor.
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:21 PM   #7
Trustee

the venue and the clients

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Espiritu
Hello, All...

I meet with or have known all my clients before the shoot (obviously). But I ask them lots of questions about what they like to do, hobbies, activities, etc so I can get a feel for their personality. I also pay attention to the mood of hte wedding and the reception. Much of the mood of the edit is determined by the reception / wedding decorations, location, etc.

I try to match the mood of the video to the wedding.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 06:57 AM   #8
Major Player

Real creativity, for me, comes after I have emptied myself of thoughts and concepts. In this 'blank slate' state I can look at my footage or project with new eyes. If I already start with ' something' in mind, all I can do is change that something, which can be fun but is not nearly as effective as starting with nothing.
I find it easiest to get into this state early in the morning. I agree with Patrick and Jonathan about new equipment, and for the same basic reason as I stated above. When I first got my glidecam it opened up many more possibilities in my camerawork.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:12 PM   #9
Trustee

For me creativity comes from listening to the music I am going to use before I edit.
I close my eyes while listening to the music, envisioning what the clips and video would look like.
Very relaxing, and I find that I am drawing inspiration from my subconscious.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques