Multi-Tripod Case for Travel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 30th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Multi-Tripod Case for Travel

I'm starting to get a lot of bookings out of town and need to find a good padded multi-tripod case or bag that will protect well enough for air travel. I have a pelican 1510 for my cams and always carry those on, but I'd like to check my tripods.

Anyone have something like that?
David Avedikian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well we're back to the good old hard cshell golf bag. I've had 2 tripods in 1 case-it's tight no doubt but with a bit of manuvering iI got it to work and they arrived fine to my destinations. Of course it depends on the tripods you're looking to haul around. Big Vintens or Millers even the bigger Bogens won't fit 2 to a case-I hauled 2 3246s with heads (I took off the pan handles) and had a pretty big case that I rented from a golf shop for about $30.00-I could have fit my clubs in thier and maybe even a caddy-it was the biggest hard shell case I had ever seen-they said it was made for pro sized golf bags which are bigger than your average bear.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Don.

I guess no one else travels?
David Avedikian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:54 PM   #4
Trustee

travel and airline baggage folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Avedikian
Thanks Don.

I guess no one else travels?
I don't know if I would trust $5000 worth of equipment to the airline baggage handlers. I also don't travel for professional gigs. I have the possibility of a traveling gig in Aug from Idaho to Seattle, but I think I will drive so I have complete control over my gear.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Cameras? NO NO WAY NOPE OVER MY DEAD BODY!

Tripods on the other hand don't fit in the overhead
Plus I haven't figured a way to drive to Hawaii ;-O

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
I'm starting to get a lot of bookings out of town and need to find a good padded multi-tripod case or bag that will protect well enough for air travel. I have a pelican 1510 for my cams and always carry those on, but I'd like to check my tripods.

If you are going to travel a lot, invest in professionally made road cases. It is much easier than making your own cases in the long run.

If you want to make your own cases, here is how:
1: Wrap your gear in bubble-wrap plastic and measure the absolute outside dimensions in all directions.
2: Purchase PVC pipe slightly in excess of the overall dimensions of your wrapped equipment, and figure out a way to allow the package to be opened and resealed by the Neanderthals who work for govt. security agencies.
3: If you are lucky, you will retrieve what you sent in original condition.
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi David,

Quote:

A good compromise for protection/weight is a hard case made to transport golf clubs. I can fit two tripods and a monopod in one. It also has rollers. I have this model:

http://beaconwwb.com/Merchant2/merch...ode=2SKB-4814W
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques