Highlight Clip - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 11th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #16
Trustee

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is VO stand for?

Stelios
Old February 11th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Voice Over...VO
Seth Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #18
Regular Crew

this is the best highlight clip i've ever seen and a true inspiration for me. thanks mark.
Mark Morikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Palmer
I am sure the B&G just went..."wow" when they saw this! Simply breathtaking and more than they expected.

What type of set-up do you have when they come to do the VO after the wedding and do you show them a few clips to get them talking? How does that whole process go? I am thinking about adding this as an option bcs. everytime a Bride says OK to messages...on the wedding day they are too nervous to say anything. Just wanted to get a feel for how you sit down with them and get them to open up...and I know every B&G is different...what are you using to record audio?

Thanks for taking the time to post your work...it definitely inspires me!
Hi Seth,

I use a couple of wireless lav mics, the same ones I use on the Minister and the Groom on the wedding day. I record their audio with my camera. I use this setup for a couple of reasons.

One, they almost forget they are wearing them compared to physically seeing a mic setting in front of them that they are always aware of.

And two, I wanted them to interact with each other and I wanted them to feel free to move a little and not be hampered by a mic on a stand.

I went through the tapes and captured some key moments I wanted them to talk about. We did this a month after the wedding and I was concerned I may not get the responses I was looking for if I just tried to paint a visal picture with my words.

So I had all of these clips on my timeline and I would play a clip for them and then let them talk. I told them I didn't just want them to just talk about what they just saw, but I wanted them to tell me or each other what they were feeling at that moment.
Old February 11th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Morikawa
this is the best highlight clip i've ever seen and a true inspiration for me. thanks mark.
Hi Mark,

What a great name. Thanks for the kind words.
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #21
Trustee

Wonderful clip. I just want to know if you are using a monopod or a tripod on wheels to show the moving shots especially when they were dancing and also when you show the food.

Stelios
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides
Wonderful clip. I just want to know if you are using a monopod or a tripod on wheels to show the moving shots especially when they were dancing and also when you show the food.

Stelios
Hi Stelios,

Thanks.

I don't have a tripod on wheels. I did use a monopod on two of the moving shots, rising above the flower arrangement and rising above the cake. Everything else was done handheld.

Here's a few keys to getting smooth fluid motion without a stabilizer or Glidecam.
1. Keep the lens wide, do not zoom in.
2. Brace your camera against your body and get motion from your body moving and not just your arms moving.
3. Use foreground elements as you track left and right or forward and backward. Foreground elements increase the sense of motion.

If you want to really see how we do it, we have a training DVD that shows behind the scenes footage of us as we are using the technieques I have described. The video was shot on location in real wedding venues, so it is not just some theories on camera movement, but practical techniques that really work.
http://www.tulsaweddingvideos.com/videographers.shtml
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Mark, i cant get over how clear the audio is on the minister. did you spend alot of time in post cleaning up ambient noise... or is it that clear to begin with?
Mark Morikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Morikawa
Mark, i cant get over how clear the audio is on the minister. did you spend alot of time in post cleaning up ambient noise... or is it that clear to begin with?
in most cases, its called micing up the minister... pity so many priests down here are so finicky about that kinda thing...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #25
Major Player

Hi Mark,

I always mic the minister and the groom. The ministers voice had a lot of low end to it, so I removed a little of the lows, but that was it.

When I used Azden and Samson wireless mics I always had to do a lot of audio work. Now that I use the Sennheiser G2 wireless system I do very little if any audio work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques