DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Closing Clip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/85782-closing-clip.html)

Mark Von Lanken February 5th, 2007 11:38 PM

Closing Clip

This is the Closing clip of the recent Highlight. This is an upgrade to our standard closing. As I said in the Highlight post, the couple came to our studio about a month after the wedding. The three of us talked about the wedding.

Their faith is a big part of their life, and it is evident after watching the clip. We really like it when a couple wants us to produce a clip like this because after you watch it, you feel like you really know them. It's just goes so much more in depth than just pretty shots set to music. So sixty or so years from now when their Grandchildren watch this, they will have a greater understanding of their Grandparent's wedding day.

Basically Trisha went through all of their VO and laid the groundwork for the flow of their closing. We then selected a song and added footage.

Warning! If you watch the Highlight and then this piece, it may not make a lot of sense. Remember, the Highlight is the first clip on the DVD and the Closing is the last clip, so the whole wedding day is sandwiched between these two pieces.

http://tulsaweddingvideos.com/video/CJClosing.wmv

Nick Weeks February 6th, 2007 12:47 AM

I love how you can truly see the joy on the bride's face when they turn around, and the VO really lets you feel that. Just like your highlights, this is *really* good and very emotional. Good job on the music with both clips.

Monday Isa February 6th, 2007 09:43 AM

Mark Very nice job on this closing clip. I looked at the highlight clip as well, I have to admit I'm blown away at how touching and warm the 2 clips are. You did a fantastic job! There was 1 little thing that got me but it may have been totally acceptable and that's when the groom is hugging his dad or father in law or that other guy, there was a lot of head room. Mark in these type of situations, are those fine to do? (I'm asking just to learn) Thanks for sharing and making me teary eyed. Your work is an inspiration!

Monday Isa

Mark Von Lanken February 6th, 2007 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
I love how you can truly see the joy on the bride's face when they turn around, and the VO really lets you feel that. Just like your highlights, this is *really* good and very emotional. Good job on the music with both clips.

Hi Nick,

Thanks. That's the power of video. It let the viewer experience the emotions of the wedding day.

Mark Von Lanken February 6th, 2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa
Mark Very nice job on this closing clip. I looked at the highlight clip as well, I have to admit I'm blown away at how touching and warm the 2 clips are. You did a fantastic job! There was 1 little thing that got me but it may have been totally acceptable and that's when the groom is hugging his dad or father in law or that other guy, there was a lot of head room. Mark in these type of situations, are those fine to do? (I'm asking just to learn) Thanks for sharing and making me teary eyed. Your work is an inspiration!

Monday Isa

Hi Monday,

Thanks for the kind words.

Great question. That was the Groom's Father and yes that shot had too much headroom. I remember shooting that and thinking I had too much headroom. The first instinct is to quickly reframe the shot, but a lesson I have learned over the years, is this.

Do not lose a great emotional moment because the framing is off. Sometimes these moments only last a second or two and if you zoom in and reframe you will miss the moment. So I slowly zoomed in to adjust the framing.

In the edit I saw how poorly the shot was framed but I felt like the great emotions that were being shared between Father and Son, along with the Groom's VO, over shadowed the poor framing.

There is another shot where the Groom's Father is wiping some tears while the minister is praying for them. It is a wide shot we used while the couple is talking about the importance of the minister. I put that shot in place of the poorly framed shot, but it just didn't work as well.

Monday Isa February 6th, 2007 11:24 AM

Thanks Mark for that explanation, I definitely can see and understand what you mean. Thanks for that tip as well, I know of 3 occasions where that has happen to me where I would try to re-frame the shot to be technically correct and I missed the precious moment that only lasted 2 secs.

Monday

Terry Esslinger February 6th, 2007 12:24 PM

What a beautifully edited and moving piece. I loved it. Oh, if we all could only have couples like that!
My only concern was that I thought that the music was a tad loud in relation to the VO. But I have a probllem with hearing - difficult to pick out voices from the surrounding sound. Maybe it wasn't a problem for others.
Good work.

Mark Von Lanken February 6th, 2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Esslinger
What a beautifully edited and moving piece. I loved it. Oh, if we all could only have couples like that!
My only concern was that I thought that the music was a tad loud in relation to the VO. But I have a probllem with hearing - difficult to pick out voices from the surrounding sound. Maybe it wasn't a problem for others.
Good work.

Hi Terry,

Thanks. Oh I know. If they were all like this, it would make our job so much easier, but where would the challenge be in that?

Audio is so subjective, especially across the internet and on computer speakers. Some speakers emphasize the lows, mids, or highs. I try to mix the sound so it will sound good on a variety of speakers, but that is still subjective. Too much music track and you can't hear the words. Too little music track and you lose some of the magic.

Don Bloom February 6th, 2007 03:22 PM

Thanks Mark for proving what I have been saying for years.
CONTENT IS KING!
While we strive to make every shot right-sometimes it's better to use a shot thats "off" a bit because of the content!

As always BOTH of your clips are excellent!

Don

Mark Von Lanken February 7th, 2007 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom
Thanks Mark for proving what I have been saying for years.
CONTENT IS KING!
While we strive to make every shot right-sometimes it's better to use a shot thats "off" a bit because of the content!

As always BOTH of your clips are excellent!

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for the nice comments. When I come across a shot like that it comes down to this question.

Am I making this for videographers? If the answer is yes, I can't use shots like that.

The truth is, I am making this for the B&G, so the shot remains.