Panasonic AY-DVM83PQ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 11th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Panasonic AY-DVM83PQ

Does anyone use these AY-DVM83PQ tapes.

I always use the 63 minute ones and just found out about these two hour ones tonight.

Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I use the Panasonic 83MQ version, at SP speed gives 83minutes. They're advertised as being designed for archiving.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Major Player

What do you mean by archiving Allan?
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

In Panasonic speak, PQ is professional quality and MQ is master quality. The components used in MQ tapes are designed for a longer shelf life after the recording, so the adv. blurb goes. The digital signal on the tape is the same for both of course.

BTW I archive my tapes tail out, ie; after playing through for transfer, I don't rewind them. This leaves a smooth even tape pack with no edges sticking out through spooling. The atmosphere can't attack the tape surface.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I used to use them for wedding ceremonies only but stopped only because at the time (about 3 years ago) they were so much more costly than the 63s that I could use 2 63s for less than 1 83.
Plus I never knew how many to get-20 30 40??? Now I just order the 63s in a large enough quanity to usually carry me for a couple months -No guess work about how many of the 83s to get. Sonds stupid I know but I just go woth the 63s and leave it at that.
I will say that I never had an issue with quality using the longer tapes (some will say they're not as good-frankly I don't belive it) and I know that today the cost factor is no longer an issue but I'm stuck in my ways. IF I need something longer I then either go to the 124s or 186s but thats a rare thing. most everything I do is on the 63s.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #6
Inner Circle

well 63min MQ/PQs are being discontinued and everyting is being replaced by the AMQ's which is panasonics way of cashing in on HDV fear factor.. The same as MQ's with one less label... meaning that people wont be reusing them as often as they'll be scared to... (no reason to be though.. u can use MQ tapes about 7 times without degredation or dropouts PQ's about 5 times.. )

never had an issue with 83min PQs in fact i prefer them.... theyre about a dollar more than the AMQ 63min tapes.. actually now theyre the same price as the AMQ63's so their value for money (for weddings) is pretty good
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

We have used the 83 minute MQs since they came out. After using them all this time, I just noticed on my Panasonic DVCPRO mini DV adapter that it says "Do not use with 80sp DV tape. I wonder why.

Since we're shooting with modified JVC DV 500s we can only use mini dv tapes.
It's much less stress shooting a wedding knowing you have an extra 23 minutes of tape.
Live stage productions with multiple cameras runing together require less sync in post when you have less tape changes.

The Panasonic 63MQ is being replaced with the AMQ but I understand there are no plans to replace the 83MQ so I'm stocking up on the 83MQs before they are discontinued.
Allen W
Allen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Williams
We have used the 83 minute MQs since they came out. After using them all this time, I just noticed on my Panasonic DVCPRO mini DV adapter that it says "Do not use with 80sp DV tape. I wonder why.

Since we're shooting with modified JVC DV 500s we can only use mini dv tapes.
It's much less stress shooting a wedding knowing you have an extra 23 minutes of tape.
Live stage productions with multiple cameras runing together require less sync in post when you have less tape changes.

The Panasonic 63MQ is being replaced with the AMQ but I understand there are no plans to replace the 83MQ so I'm stocking up on the 83MQs before they are discontinued.
Allen W
I also like the sound of the 83 mnute tapes for live stage shows and Weddings as this is what I film mostly, but I only see them in the PQ, not the MQ format. Its good to know there is no loss in quality in them and they don't cause a problem, thanks for your help.

Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques