DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wanted: Wedding Video -NO EDITING (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/86492-wanted-wedding-video-no-editing.html)

Billy Mallari February 14th, 2007 09:11 AM

Wanted: Wedding Video -NO EDITING

Lately, I have been getting calls from brides asking for video without editing. I am not sure if this is something I should take or not. I shoot with 2 cameras and lots of artisitic shots on preparation or montages. Im not sure if the client would like or even understand why the footages are shot in my point of view. Do any of you guys offer this?

I could probably do this but with a one camera shoot and I can just place the camera in a tripod for continuous shooting. this way however would not be my style of shooting as I like to take different shots. But keeping a camera in a tripod would be more safe and easier for them to edit..(although not my style) I would also have to change my contract and state that I have the right to exclude my name or be associated to the final product.

Do you guys have any other ideas or opinions?

Richard Wakefield February 14th, 2007 09:27 AM

funnily enough the first time I got asked this as a genuine enquiry i didn't know whether to laugh, be offended or...

anyway, now i offer it as a cheap side-line package!
i mean of course, people are going to be put off when you start mentioning HD-SD downconverts, widescreen/PAL/NTSC, extra mics, multi-cam, types of shots you will do, so don't over-complicate it:
do a very basic tripod setup with one camera (two if they really think they can use that), in non-widescreen SD. i wouldn't spend ages repeating gliding/creative shots as it could be a waste of time if all they want is the day's main content.

that's the easiest money ever for one-days work! infact, i turned down one recently coz i was busy on that date, pretty gutting!

and yeah, ur suggestion of having ur name removed is probably wise.

i've always thought it'd be pretty cool to see someone else's take on your own footage, so maybe ask them v.nicely if u can have a copy too

the other ironic thing is, they might find the editing so hard that they'll come back to you and ask for help, which of course you will charge for :)

Andy Wason February 14th, 2007 10:08 AM

I've done a few. You need to do 'in camera edit'
i.e.
No retakes
No excess footage
try to tell the story first time
maybe use some in camera transitions between shots.
It's best to hand them the tape at the end of the night, or you'll want to fiddle with it.
Andy

Steve Roark February 14th, 2007 10:48 AM

I think in the short term, it sounds like a win-win situation, but in the long run you risk becoming typecast as the discount videographer. Most of my business was generated from previous clients, I'd hate to think those potential clients were seeing my raw video, mixed with every digital effect that comes with consumer editing software. If it turns out good, they'll take credit, if it looks like garbage, they'll blame the camera guy. Either way, you're losing a valuable marketing tool. Take that into consideration when offering your discount.

Patrick Moreau February 14th, 2007 11:25 AM

We offer them for non-Saturday weddings or during the off-season. I shoot as I normally do and explain to them how the artistic footage is not viewable unless edited. There are many videographers around here who will shoot and edit for less than we would charge just to shoot the wedding so, if they want us to do it, it is because of our style, and I wouldn't change that just because I'm not doing the editing.

Points made about your work not looking the best or not being the best reflection of your company are very valid and so I personally only offer a few of those a year and we are in the situation where we have much more business than we can handle, so it is the perfect shoot for us, and we can 'afford' to send out something unedited, if you want to look at it that way. When we were just starting out, I wouldn't offer that as an option.

Joe Goldsberry February 14th, 2007 11:28 AM

It's possible that the bride doesn't know the meaning of the word "edit". She may think you are cutting out parts of the day she thinks she wants to see. Maybe a couple of questions or a quick explanation of the editing process is in order.

Just a thought.

Joe

Rick Steele February 14th, 2007 11:38 AM

It's called, "raw footage".

I've been asked to do it buy always at a substantial discount. I always ask them why I would I want to to do this for less money when another client might book their date for a full package?

I'll certainly sell it as an add-on though.

Andy Wason February 14th, 2007 11:44 AM

I've done a few. You need to do 'in camera edit'
i.e.
No retakes
No excess footage
try to tell the story first time
maybe use some in camera transitions between shots.
It's best to hand them the tape at the end of the night, or you'll want to fiddle with it.
Andy

Waldemar Winkler February 14th, 2007 04:57 PM

That sort of thing hasn't happened to me in a while. The last time was a newbie video person doing some "shopping" and didn't have the courage to be upfront and honest with me. I would have willing shared some information had he let me know his intentions. It wasn't the first time he had "shopped" me. I spent a good part of my career in sound reinforcement and have a good memory for voice qualities.

So I said, "Sure, you are welcome to do your own editing. Just pay me full price and add $2000 for the original tapes." Never heard from him again. I thought it a reasonable proposal. Oh well.

In any case, I'm open to the idea. The client just has to purchase the raw original tapes. Since I won't be able to access them in the future, they have value.

Victor Kellar February 14th, 2007 06:00 PM

I studio I cut for does this on a regular basis. He calls it his "Documentary" package.

Basically all it do is clean up the footage a bit; take out his 'Take Twos' maybe adjust any really funky exposures and even out the audio.

Wedding date title over black at the beginning and Fade Up. Fade out the last shot of the video and his logo at the end. No music, no effects, no transitions.

I throw it all on a DVD with chapters.

Mind you, this guy is a solid shooter. Not only understands the tech side (tripod, proper lighting, proper mic) he really knows what happens during the wedding day and that camera is where it needs to be at the time.

His clients seem to love it and I bang the thing out in no time at all

Peter Jefferson February 14th, 2007 06:30 PM

"I studio I cut for does this on a regular basis. He calls it his "Documentary" package."

oh yes the good ol "doco" style...
I recently put up a post in a bridal forum about this as it seems many companies are claling thir raw footage "doco" or "Full" or "long versions' when in fact its pretty much raw footage..

tchnically it should be called an ARCHIVE as the only real work done to it is trimming of the fat...

as for raw, i have a package which is exactly this.. its getting more and more popular and i charge extra for the tapes (standard comes in DVD)

to be honest, id rather do 4 of thee jobs a month instead of 1 or 2 full edits a month as its a no brainer and takes abotu a day to do a whole wedding

Ben Lynn February 15th, 2007 07:10 AM

I do at least one of these a year and it works out great. Like Peter said, you're pretty much done in a day and the money is good.

I'd give more credit to todays brides. Yes they know the meaning of the word "edit". And yes a lot of todays young people can do a full edit that will make your footage look like you want it. The parents of the bride might not understand editing, but our generation right now is more than capable of editing a wedding video.

I've never ever had someone say that they thought the raw footage was anything less than professional. Again, couples today understand why you shot that detail shot, blind reveal, dutch angle, etc. If you feel they might look down on your footage then you need to gain confidence or simply not sell this option. For me they know their footage was shot by a professional whether it's edited or not.

I'll take any number of these that come up.

Ben

Scott Jaco February 19th, 2007 11:19 PM

I recently sent the following e-mail to a client that asked if he could just get the raw footage to DVD without editing (The original contract included full editing of the wedding) This inquiry was made AFTER the contracts were signed and I had already recieved my deposit.

Quote:

Dear *****,

I only offer edited footage to DVD.

Putting raw footage on DVD is simply unwatchable because it lacks continuity and looks very sloppy. The sound also needs to be edited from cut to cut to avoid a choppy sound between shots. This is especially important when using a wireless mic. The audio channels need to be mixed & balanced.

Another important reason for editing is to eliminate repetitive, unflattering or unnecessary shots. I generally shoot more footage than I actually need because I like to shoot as much as possible in the time allotted which allows me to pick & choose which shots I want to use in the finished video.

You will be much happier with an edited video.
It's important to explain what they are actually paying for.
"full editing w/ titles, music, fx" is a bit vauge.
I'll probably go into further detail when explaining my services next time to avoid confusion.

Billy Mallari March 2nd, 2007 09:00 AM

well stated.