DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Charging a Two days ceremony (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/87142-charging-two-days-ceremony.html)

Matthew Amirkhani February 21st, 2007 12:32 PM

Charging a Two days ceremony

Hi Guys!

What you guys think I should be charging this couple?

1st day only 4-5 hours of ceremony.
2nd day 4pm- midnight reception.

Give me your thoughts please.

Thanks
Matthew

Tom Tomkowiak February 21st, 2007 07:09 PM

Can't give you a dollar amount -- since that depends on the prices in your area, your reputation, exactly what your services include, and so on.

But, this would tie you up for 2 days. What are two days of work worth to you?

Just to pick a number, I would say (minimum) 1.5 times what you would normally charge for a one-day event. That's assuming this is happening during the slow time of the year when you probably wouldn't expect to have 2 different jobs on the same weekend.

Peter Jefferson February 21st, 2007 09:48 PM

i do alot of vietnamese weddings like this, and being in aus, we have the Laos ceremony then the Traditional Aussie style church thingy...

I usually charge half of what i charged them within the actual package.. so its actual package, plus half of that for the added day

I invoice it as being an additional location, plus extended travel fees.. but again, this is dependant on what theyre getting.
i have a couple who are doing this in April, and im shooting the Laos ceremony a week befor, BUT its easter sunday here (no biggy coz i wouldnt have work anyway) so i gave it free coz theyre only locals to me.. that and thiat its only a 90min shoot cut down to 15mins

I did however charge them for the editing..

Waldemar Winkler February 24th, 2007 10:43 PM

If your pricing is based as mine is, which is the thought that a wedding celebration takes place within one day, then a celebration which covers two days clearly needs special treatment. It could effectively eliminate another wedding shoot entirely.

In all honesty, I'd have to spend some time with numbers, time, pencil and paper to produce a proposal that made economic sense. In any case, the proposal would have to be based upon an hourly rate, cover two days of potential revenue, and contribute a profit line towards net revenue. Oh, yeah, don't forget client satisfaction!

If you must work alone, you are facing a challenge. If you have contract shooters for hire, you have some flexibility.

Do a cost analysis. Make a decision.

Mark Holland February 26th, 2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Amirkhani
Hi Guys!

What you guys think I should be charging this couple?

1st day only 4-5 hours of ceremony.
2nd day 4pm- midnight reception.

Well, since it's our thoughts you're after, I'd say the 4-5 hrs is roughly equal to my smallest package. I'd charge that package amount for that day. The 2nd day is closer to my medium package, so Id charge that package price for that day. If the hours were all in the same day, maybe I'd charge just for one large package, but since you'll most likely be leaving and driving back the next day, (not to mention setting everything up again) you might have more costs involved than if it were all in one day. If it's a good distance from your home, you might get mileage as well as a room for the night, and give them a single large package price.

Maybe if you feel like you want to give them a price break, you could offer them a small discount. (maybe 10% ?)

I'm just thinking off the top of my head right now, so if it any of this doesn't make sense to you, just ignore me!

Mark

(Hey, Tom T, what part of the Crystal Coast you from?)