Love Story Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 26th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Love Story Video

I'm looking for advice in how to create a Love Story Video.
Guidelines or a handbook to follow steps, poducer handbook etc

Thank You!

William Osorio
William Osorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Major Player

well here's a breakdown of the process i go through...hope it helps

- get to know the couple first, with a couple of friendly visits...that way they will be more relaxed infront of you and the camera
- ask them to gather say 8 photos growing up, and 8 photos as a couple to use overlaying spoken parts, or as a photo-montage section..you could even film them as they reminisce choosing photos from the albums
- i ask them to choose a favourite location to shoot, whether it's the park they got engaged at, or the ice-skating rink they first saw reach other! this helps to tell the 'story' side of it
- make the choice between interviewing them separately or together...quite different outcomes- they either tell different versions of the same story which is quite fun to match up in the edit stage, or if they sit together, they might laugh/cry at each other (2 camera setup will be good for that)
- ask them questions (how did they meet, how did they propose, initial thoughts, future plans, shared interests, things they like/hate about each other, funny memories, etc etc)
- then i'll go for a walk with the couple, and film them being spontaneous...this is great for those slow-mo VO overlays!
- anything else is a bonus...e.g. i've filmed couples who wanted to act out parts from films they liked...and talk about their stag/hen dos, and get dressed up in their funny outfits from them..that sort of thing...

there's surely loads of examples on this forum, hopefully a search will find some gooduns for you!
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quiz Bit

Great ideas from Richard.

One other possibility: if you decide to shoot them separately, and they are willing to play along, try asking each some questions about the other, sort of like a "How well do you know your fiance" quiz. I tried this with several lighthearted questions (What are the color of her eyes? What is he afraid of? Where would she like to travel someday? etc.) I asked each five questions about the other and then the five questions I asked the other about them -- to get the answers. Little bit like the Newlywed Game. Then I composited them on screen along with a His/Hers scoreboard and the current question. Worked it out so the final score was a tie and then "Perfect Matched" flashed over stills of the two. Was rather tedious to get all the timing down but the results were worth it. I now mention this option to couples who are considering a love story video as a fun little "extra." It lightened the mood of the overall video, which I then concluded with a more serious question about their future together.

Good luck and have fun!
Bill Anciaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #4
Inner Circle

hehehehe
i recently did one and becuase it was to be embedded within their growing up slideshow before their courtship images
We creatd a series of about 10 short 10-15second skits. This kept pace nicely along with the slideshow itself and didnt slow down the constant movement.
Basically we reenacted their courtship within these skits, but sent it all up with some slapstick. being a part time cop and full time corporal in the army, it was something of a release for the groom as it allowed him to laugh at himself and the situation surrounding their relationship (he stalked her u see.. lol)

anyways..
you can opt for the typical love story interview thing, or you can try be different.. but it also depends on how your going to use the piece. In my case, its within a slideshow which is being projected at the reception, so pace and watchablility are paramount
If its just your normal love story, u can drag things out a lil more..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you guys for your support and tips

William Osorio
William Osorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #6
Major Player

Standard interview technique is to put the person at ease by starting with easy questions that are easy to answer with short responses. Remember the person will be nervous to some degree; sitting down being asked personal questions with a camera rolling is not something most people do every day -- if ever. Your goal is to make 'em comfortable with the process as soon as possible.

I'd recomend having your questions written down so that you will ask each person the exact same question in the same order. That makes it a lot easier to merge the two interviews if done seperately.

Remember this is not ambush journalism. Reassure them that if they don't like their initial response to a question, they can always call a timeout, reorganize the brain, and answer again.

Now, should you you provide the list or discuss with the couple most of the questions in advance? IMO, I say yes. Or, at least make the offer. Some will decline. The argument against this is a potential lack of spontaneity in responses. Personally, I think it makes for better responses, plus I get very little of, "Uugh, I don't like the way that came out.....can I answer that again...?"

Bill -- wonderful idea with the Newlywed Game concept. Easy to understand how something like that would take a while to splice together, and it certainly must be fresh and entertaining. Is that played for the reception crowd, or only goes on the final dvd for the couple?
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
hehehehe
i recently did one and becuase it was to be embedded within their growing up slideshow before their courtship images
We creatd a series of about 10 short 10-15second skits.
Peter, if you acted in this, I want a copy.
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #8
Inner Circle

nah mate, with a head like mine, its the reason im on this side of the lens.. lol

as for interviews, oen thign to remember is to ask the clietn to recount teh questions as they answer them..
such as

You - "Describe yoru first date, what happened"
Them - "our first date was blah blah blah"

You - "tell me whats so special about your fiance"
Them- "What makes my fiance so special is blah blah blah"

this way, you have a decent lead up to what theyre saying, it sounds much mire natural and "conversation" like as opposed to 20question's and you dont have to point out the question to the viewer by using titles or by your retaining your own voice within the interview
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Newlywed Game follow-up

Bill -- wonderful idea with the Newlywed Game concept. Easy to understand how something like that would take a while to splice together, and it certainly must be fresh and entertaining. Is that played for the reception crowd, or only goes on the final dvd for the couple?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Tom. The couple I did this for played their love story DVD at the reception on a Macbook with small amplified speakers. It ran on a loop and was placed near the gift table. Received many positive comments. The Newlywed Game bit was about 2 min of the entire 8 min video. One of the biggest challenges was transitioning into it without completely changing the mood/tone of the whole video. Keep it light, playful and it works great.
Bill Anciaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #10
Major Player

Love Story tips

Hi William,

Consider buying some of the better DVDs from Steve & Laura Moses (Vantage Point), Randy Stubbs, Von Lankens, Ken Ehrhart (Summit), Chris Watson, Mark Shepard. Also, study other wedding videographers website demos and the award winners at 4EverGroup. As someone aptly said, the proof of the pudding is in the eating...

Have fun, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:54 AM   #11
Tourist

Date videos/Love Story's imho are one of the best ways to get to know a client before the actual wedding day. You get the opportunity to interact with them in a situation that 9if you have done your homework) is completely comfortable for them. Plus it is a great add on and extra revenue source for any video package.

I am not a big supporter of scripted interviews/aka walks in the park. I haven't had the greatest success getting couples to loosen up in those situations. But that is just my experience.

Here is a link to a "date video" I recently shot with a couple who loved to snowboard. We decided to go shoot up on the hill and it turned out fantastic - the clients loved it and I must have booked 2 weddings at their reception. here is the link:

http://www.camerontrejofilms.com/Movies/flaredate.mov

Cameron
Cameron Trejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:10 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Excellent concept to bring out the emotions they have one for another. Simply tagging along for their date capturing unscripted footage makes a great documentary.

Thanks for sharing.
Vince Lucena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques