DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Do clients notice mixed footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/87603-do-clients-notice-mixed-footage.html)

Dan Burnap February 26th, 2007 02:43 PM

Do clients notice mixed footage?

Do you mix different footage from different cams. I've stated in another post that I am considering adding a DVX100 to compliment my DVC30 but I'm concerned about the different looking footage. Is this the sort of thing clients notice or care about.

I've mixed footage from my DVC30 with crappy 1ccd footage before, after a bit of tweaking with 1ccd footage and more importantly, adding the same Magic Bullet preset, only the difference in resolution is really noticed by the untrained eye....?

Thanks

Adam Grunseth February 26th, 2007 03:16 PM

I think it all depends on how you are mixing the footage. If the two sources of video look too different, yes, clients will notice. Here are some rules I came up with for myself that helps with dealing with mixed footage:

-Manually white balance each camera on the same source

-Set the exposure the same on each camera for the subject (Different cameras have different ranges of exposures. I set my zebra bars at 70% on each camera, and use that to signify where skin tones should be. This way the bride and grooms skin is at 70% IRE no matter which camera it comes from.... clients will notice differences in skin tone the most.)

-Get different types of shots with each camera. I set up my A camera for wide shots where my B camera only gets extreme close ups. This way its more like comparing apples and oranges- if both cameras were set up to get wide shots or close ups from different angles, you'd be comparing apples and apples.... and then its easier to notice differences.

-Color correct. Many higher end NLEs, like Avid Xpress, have camera matching color correctors that automate the color correcting process to get two different cameras to match.

Rick Steele February 26th, 2007 04:02 PM

If you're asking whether they notice *and* comment negatively on it I'd say no. The alternative would be to leave the unmatched footage completely out and that's certainly not the answer. Keep it in and they're always happy about it.

Now... if you're asking whether it bothers me? You bet. Just the time I was spending in post trying to blend crap together was enough to get all matching cams.

Peter Jefferson February 26th, 2007 09:24 PM

yes they notice, and most of the time they dont care so long as the footage is clean.
BUT... being a pedant myself, i notice it to a point of being ridiculous. Ive seen other companies work claiming 2 cameras, and sure enough, they use 2 cams, but matching them is another story altogether. Not everybody does it, and not many know how to do it
Its for this reason i wrote up a blurb on my site to reiterat this fact of colour/lux matching vs our competitors methods.

Ideally for perfect match, ur using the same camera with teh same settings.
As the cams are in different locations, exposure and colour refraction WILL be different, hence the need to ensure that WB settings are identical. Even doign it manually wotn give you accuracy as light continually fluctuates (yes, even seconds apart, especially if theyre mercury or fluoro lights (as found in churches)
In these situations, id say use a white/grey or blue card (if u want warmth)

IMO, using a preset WB during shooting is a safer way to ensuring correct temperatures across both cameras, then tweaked to suit in post.
Then going custom WB for everything else. This of course depends on the location