Plunging into Photography-how much am i worth? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Plunging into Photography-how much am i worth?

Okay...I think Im plunging into the world of wedding photography as well. As much as I want to do videos. As much as I wanted to do videos, I find it difficult to get some bookings since I raised my prices.

Anyways..here I am again of starting over (in photography) trying to charge really cheap in order to get some experience. I just shot a wedding last week together with a pro. here are some pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/visionsandimagery

I guess I need your opinion....
If you were to hire me for an 8 hour coverage and will supply you a CD of high-quality JPEGS, how much do you think I would be worth?

I quoted some brides for this type of coverage and offered $650 CDN for an 8 hr. coverage and they think it is expensive. The thing is their wedding is around Sept. and I know I will get to shoot more weddings in the summer.
Billy Mallari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Well this link may help. http://soundmedicine.iu.edu/archive/...umanWorth.html

In reference to how much to charge, that's something that you'll have to figure out. I know that if you hand disks to brides, without offering what a traditional photographer would, you might cut yourself out of some revenue. That's your choice.

If your prices have adjusted you out of video, you might want to do some market research (what others are charging.) If you're too high, then you'll have to maybe adjust your prices.

Photgraphy, and we've done our fair share, is pretty difficult on the day of. A ton of work etc.

I would be that if you are going to give your disks of pictures to the bride, you'll probably still need to find a price near what others are charging, since the disk will be a bonus.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

That's true I might have to adjust my video prices and packages..at the meantime im just testing the water. Its just that, Im also starting to like photography.

In photography, I know how much I would be worth once I get the experience.

but if you were in the brides shoes, and with a limited budget..how much would you be willing to pay a beginner( with only one wedding experience )like me? Or if you were on my shoes how much would you be willing to charge? The reason being is because I dont know if Im quoting brides too much or too low. When I give them a quote, I calculate the amount of expense like time, effort, and travel. Im aiming for the experience and dont need to make a large profit at this point.
Billy Mallari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If I were you, and willing to give a very small 'shooting' price, I would atleast do the traditional 'sell the pictures' way that most photogs do. At least you would discount your talent, but not the actual product. That's just my opinion.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:50 PM   #5
Still Motion

Hi Billy,

Being that I am in the same area as you, I think some of my experience might help a bit.

Regarding your video prices, they definitely are not too high in terms of what this area is willing to spend, so I wouldn't bring the prices down. I would go the other route and work on bringing your quality up. It looks like you have some very clip on your site. I might consider investing in a stabilizer as some of your footage has the hand held look, and I would look at doing some slower more emotional highlights clips or your website as those seem to jive more with brides, from the ones we meet with at least.

I also think you may want to wok on some of your marketing. Having four packages that are all within $1000 in may not be the best route to go. I would offer a very basic package all the way up to a deluxe package and try to get much more variation in between- most people will go for the middle one, so prepare yourself for that when doing your calculations.

Regarding photography, I think you need to decide which market you want to work in. If your looking for a basic shoot and give them the files kind of deal, your pricing is great and the quality is there. If you would like to offer a top notch fully polished product, you definitely need to do a lot more in the back end (touching up and enhancing images) as well as getting better glass to allow you to get more depth in your images.

Regardless of the price range, you will always have some brides that think you are too expensive, don't let that cast doubt on your pricing. If your looking at getting more into photography I would again work on the quality, invest in some good glass and bodies, try and do a couple cheaper shoots or some with another company to get some experience and then start at double what your asking now.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice Patrick...

I will definitley consider that. By the way, the photographer I assisted was a fan of your work. And I told him that I ocassionally talk to you on dvinfo. He uses a kit lens 18-70 on a d200 but still gets amazing shots.

Im definitely getting a better lens but im thinking which I should get first..probably a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and save up for the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR and D200. Right now Im have the 18-200 VR on a nikon d70w/sb800 but it is too slow. To be honest, Im still not sure what to prioritize to get in regards to equipment.
Billy Mallari is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques