DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Paypal (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/87968-paypal.html)

Steven Davis March 2nd, 2007 12:14 PM

Paypal

Anyone had any worthwhile success using paypal in the wedding business? I have looked through some of the paypal threads, and the detailed ones are back in 2004.

Kit Hannah March 2nd, 2007 12:32 PM

We don't do weddings, but we do use paypal to sell all of our event videos - it works wonderfully. We just got everything rolling this past week, but we're still trying to update a bunch of them. If you look at our website and click the orders page, you can see how the process works. Pretty easy really. There's no monthly fee, which is nice. Paypal only charges you for your transaction, which is 1.9% - 2.9% + $.30 per transaction, which is right on par with most credit card merchants.

Joe Allen Rosenberger March 2nd, 2007 02:38 PM

Steven,

I use Pay Pal sometimes for cc deposits and ballances due......for me, I spilt the service fee with client 50/50. Not sure what others due, maybe I should make them pay the full service charge....problably so?

Richard Wakefield March 3rd, 2007 02:31 AM

yep! all the time!

I hand out leaflets or cards at weddings saying that the online demo/pics of 'this wedding' will be on my site within 2 weeks. Then that page has a paypal link to order extra copies....insanely easy to setup too.

good luck

Patrick Moreau March 3rd, 2007 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger (Post 634869)
Steven,

I use Pay Pal sometimes for cc deposits and ballances due......for me, I spilt the service fee with client 50/50. Not sure what others due, maybe I should make them pay the full service charge....problably so?

For what its worth, I believe that passing paypals fees on to the customer is against their terms of use. While it is often done for general sale items, I don't think I would want to run my buisness like that. Do people out there actually ask the couple to pay an extra 2% or so if they want to be you via credit card (assumign you accept those) or what about passing any bank fees you have on to them for having a business account?

Steven Davis March 3rd, 2007 08:49 AM

Thanks guys, I was wondering if anyone has used paypal successfully in the wedding business, such as credit card processing etc. I can read faqs, but I value the real experiences of my peers on this board.

Joe Allen Rosenberger March 3rd, 2007 01:27 PM

Lets say a package rate of 2,500.00 and it is all being paid through Pay Pal, the fee is something like 68.00 total. I am not going to eat that money so the client can pay with their credit card, I will share that cost but not the entire thing......
I get about 5 to 8 clients per year want to pay via credit card.....the other 30 or so pay via check.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau (Post 635146)
For what its worth, I believe that passing paypals fees on to the customer is against their terms of use. While it is often done for general sale items, I don't think I would want to run my buisness like that. Do people out there actually ask the couple to pay an extra 2% or so if they want to be you via credit card (assumign you accept those) or what about passing any bank fees you have on to them for having a business account?

Kit Hannah March 3rd, 2007 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger (Post 635302)
Lets say a package rate of 2,500.00 and it is all being paid through Pay Pal, the fee is something like 68.00 total. I am not going to eat that money so the client can pay with their credit card, I will share that cost but not the entire thing......
I get about 5 to 8 clients per year want to pay via credit card.....the other 30 or so pay via check.

I would rather eat the $68 every time than lose 1 $2500 client because of it.....

Joe Allen Rosenberger March 3rd, 2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit Hannah (Post 635434)
I would rather eat the $68 every time than lose 1 $2500 client because of it.....

...ok people, here we go again. i book about 35 to 40 weddings per year, average package purchased is 3k or better but some at 2,500.00. I have a 99% booking rate.....only lost one this year out of all the inquiries i met with.
not many clients choose to pay through pay pal.....just a few.

I turn away about 20 to 30 clients per year because i am staying a somewhat small operation for now......

I am obviously doing something rather well to have the business i have and to have the inflow of clients wanting my services.

if a potential client wanted to nickle -dime me for 38.00 bucks....i mean, if they are willing to walk away from my services for that little money......I DO NOT WANT their buisness. that is a huge red flag for other things i would not want to deal with. I am fortunate that I can be as choosey about my clients as they are about their vendors.......I do not advertise, all of my business is 100% referrals.

I have no more argument for the comments on this......say something worthy that will help the original poster.....because i am not hear to keep rebutting.

TO the original poster.....YES, Pay Pal is great to have as an option for cc. purchases.

It is very easy to set up, and easy to maintain.

Greg Boston March 4th, 2007 08:33 AM

Ok gents, it's time to realize that accepting PayPal and its associated fees are good for some folks, and unacceptable for others.

Let's leave it at that or the thread gets closed.

Thanks,

-gb-

Rick Steele March 4th, 2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 634781)
Anyone had any worthwhile success using paypal in the wedding business? I have looked through some of the paypal threads, and the detailed ones are back in 2004.

Yeah it works. And no more of that "check is in the mail" crap either.

As far as the fees go... just do what every other business does and build them into your prices. (Like tapes, batteries, media, ink, etc.)