What do you call this kind of dissolve? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 4th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What do you call this kind of dissolve?

Theres a cross dissolve, additive and non-additive dissolve. What do you call the dissolve that expanded the white/bright on the video before it dissolves? I always saw this in wedding videos, I think my premiere pro 1.5 dont have this kind of dissolve, Is there a plug-in for that kind of transition?
Juan Dela Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Juan, i'm not sure about PP but in FCP i would add a brightness filter and just keyframe the last couple of frames so the image ramps up to pure white then on the next clip do the same except at the start of the clip so it ramps down from pure white. If you wanted you could add an additive dessolve but you don't really need to.

Hope you understand what I mean.

Andy.
Old March 4th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Key-Framed Filter and Dissolve?

Juan,

You and I have the same question. I've seen this same dissolve and wondered how it's done too. Very cool look, isn't it?

I tried replicating it with Final Cut Express 3.5 and came pretty close by combining a glow filter (Joe's Color Glow) with a dissolve. I key-framed the filter over 1-2 seconds to build from nothing to full "washed-out" glow on the outgoing clip and just the opposite on the incoming clip. Then I added a brief cross dissolve.

It's not quite the same look, so I'd be curious to know the answer to your question too.
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

its called a flash dissolve using either a colour, or the luminance of both frames as an average centre

In vegas its called flash transition.. in other aps, you can emulate it by dissolving using additive dissolve into a white PNG (or any other still image), then immediately doing the same back from the PNG to your next video clip
the length of your image will determine the length of the transition

THing with the vegas transition, is that u can set the diffusion, whereas you cant do that with an additive dissolve

u can change the colour of your png to whatever suits the clour of the flash
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #5
Still Motion

In final cut pro there is the flash transition, chroma transition, and vapor cross which are all very similiar. Plus many filters you can keyframe to do something similiar.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #6
Wrangler

In FCP, you can try the Dip to Color dissolve and set the dissolve color to white (the default is black).

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #7
Major Player

it's really very simple in Premiere Pro (1.5 or 2)...just use the brightness element of the procamp, which takes brightness beyond 100%. (It is completely different to dissolving to white as others have suggested)

Throw in some blur too for extra effect!

It's SOOO overused at the moment (every film, every advert, every documentary)...but still looks great, and I always do it!
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Trustee

I think the flash transitions are not actually stock, but you can download freebie transitions from lots of sites. Some such flash transitions differ from the cleaner white dissolve by involving a very quick 'burn' factor to their parameters to give it a distinctive type of appearance.

All the previously detailed methods also work with varying degrees of efficiency.

The stock "dip to color" might be the easiest, you just have to change the default black color to white (or whatever you want).

-Jon

Last edited by Jonathan Jones; March 4th, 2007 at 07:12 PM.
Jonathan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #9
Trustee

In Premiere Pro, I just animate the leves to all white then another back from all white. I set them as presets and use them as required. I like it because it blows out the whites first. I have not tried using the ProcAmp. I might have to try that sometime.

Last edited by Steven Gotz; March 5th, 2007 at 09:53 AM.
Steven Gotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Here is a detailed explanation

http://www.geniusdv.com/weblog/archi...al_cut_pro.php
Roman Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham View Post
Juan, i'm not sure about PP but in FCP i would add a brightness filter and just keyframe the last couple of frames so the image ramps up to pure white then on the next clip do the same except at the start of the clip so it ramps down from pure white. If you wanted you could add an additive dessolve but you don't really need to.

Hope you understand what I mean.

Andy.
What he said. You could also blow out the brightness prior to the clip ending to give it an extra effect.
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks guys so it still needs some keyframing.
Juan Dela Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #13
Regular Crew

You get that effect in Nattress's "Film Effects" - G Film Flash, quick sample here

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/romikimages/nattress.mov
Roman Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Dela Cruz View Post
Theres a cross dissolve, additive and non-additive dissolve. What do you call the dissolve that expanded the white/bright on the video before it dissolves? I always saw this in wedding videos, I think my premiere pro 1.5 dont have this kind of dissolve, Is there a plug-in for that kind of transition?
You mean the "Six Feet Under" dissolve?
Todd Mattson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques