XL2 wedding company at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 4th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #1
Major Player

XL2 wedding company

A good time ago I had the web site of a wedding video company in America, it was I think husband and wife team. They used the Canon XL2 cameras and I wanted to ask them a few questions in regards to my wife using an XL2, if at all possible could someone tell me who they are or even their web site so I could contact them.

Many thanks
Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #2
Still Motion

Could be visualmasterpiece.com

I know Mike and Becca used XL2s (I bought one from them) but are now hi-def.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Thats who it is Patrick, thanks.

What do you think of the XL2's?

Paul
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gallagher View Post
What do you think of the XL2's?

Paul

Just a quick jump-in here to say "I freakin' LOVE mine."

I've shot on the PD series and the DVX100 - which I also really enjoyed (alot!), but so far I really just love using my XL2. - mileage may vary for each user based on expectations, experience, and technique - (and shoulder strength)

-Jon
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Jonathan, its really that I wanted to talk to Becca about being a female videographer and using such a heavy camera like the XL2 as I need a better match for my own at the moment but I am still unsure about my wife using one for a whole day.
Paul
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
using such a heavy camera like the XL2 as I need a better match for my own at the moment but I am still unsure about my wife using one for a whole day.
Paul

Give some consideration to something along the lines of a Tiffen Steadystick. I use one because one of my regular jobs is not too condusive to a full tripod. I bought a Steadystick from Guy Cochran last year (from the DVestore ( a sponsor here) and the first time I used the Steadystick, I was able to shoot with my XL2 for a six hour stretch of time without any shoulder or arm fatigue. It is not meant as a steadycam type of smooth shooting device, it is mostly a comfortable dispersion of weight, but insofar as simple handheld shooting, it will improve the shot (by reducing fatigue) and is a great deal for the price (IMO).
-Jon
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Jonathan, could you please forward me his details.

Paul
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Thanks Jonathan, could you please forward me his details.

Paul

Yeah, you can find it at

http://www.dvestore.com/

On the site, you will also see a link called the DVeStrore Theatre-Quicktime Gallery. There you will see a short video of Guy demonstrating the SteadyStick. Check it out and if it looks like it will suit your needs, you can click the appropriate links under hardware products to find the SteadyStick and make a purchase. Tell 'em I sent ya.

Good luck.
-Jon
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for the link Jonathan,

Its a good price on there even with the shipping to northern Ireland but I wa reading one comment on it:

This is a great concept but be warned it can be ackward if you do not have a flip out LCD panel. Using it w/ my XL1s, I can not comfortably put my eye on the eye piece. It sits to far out too the side forcing the user to twist their entire body slightly sideways to see through the finder. If you have an LCD, this should work great. If, like me, you are on a Canon where you rely on a tight fit between the eyepiece and your face, it may not be the best option.

Do you find with the XL2 Jonathan it matches up well with the eyepiece?

We are a bit more lucky with the XL2 as we have a small lcd screen by popping up the eyepiece, but outside it would still be very hard to see without looking through the eyepiece.

Thanks again

Paul
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #10
Trustee

I find that I tend to shoot with my XL2 with the eyecup closed and therefore with the viewfinder against my face. I have never found this to be a problem while using the Steadystick. Even if I was using the XL1s (with its slightly different shoulder mount ergonomics) I would suggest that the person who posted that review either didn't know how to use the device, or perhaps possesses a formidable quantity of side-hanging and front-hanging 'personal girth' that would impede the functionality of a belt-anchored support device.

While I admit myself to being somewhat ummm... rotund, I have found the use of the SteadyStick in context of the eyecup to be irrelevant. Essentially, it seems logical to me that the functionality of the Stick allows for it to be secured up or down the line to find the comfortable balance height in conjuction with the shoulder mount-to-shoulder axis. Once this is acheived, naturally the position of the eyecup with follow suit with where the camera would naturally sit if it was resting on the shoulder. The only difference is that the actual bulk of the camera weight is transferred off the shoulder and instead to the waist through the belt support.

The only drawback for me is that there are some situations where I have had to quickly transfer from a tripod to my steadystick or the reverse. I have the TA-100 quick release for the XL2, but I am unable to use it if I will be using the Steadystick because in order to use the TA-100, I also have to use the 4-screw mounting bracket.

While I have been given some advice on these forums as to how I could go about fashioning out my own workaround (with a little engineering know how), I haven't gotten around to doing that yet. As a result, I am currently never using my TA-100 and instead having to screw the cam onto the tripod head or to the Steadystick as the situation warrants. In the cases where quick and immediate transfer is necessary, the situational stress of doing so while also holding a heavy cam in one hand while trying to line up the freakin' support screw the other is both comical and scary.

The short answer is: Eyecup shooting with my XL2 and the Steadystick works great for me. For the price, I don't think you can go wrong giving the SteadyStick a try.

Hope this helps.
-Jon
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #11
Major Player

Yes thanks Jon,

That has cleared up that problem for me and I will purchase one of these helpful supports.

Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques