New website - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 10th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #16
Major Player

I'm not sure if it is an iWeb thing, but when I load a page, I see the nav bar items appear at first with a light bluish background along with some spacer items. After a few seconds, the background to these changes to black.

Looking at the HTML source, it probably has to do with using transparent PNG files. There's also an awful lot of HTML code to describe the nav bar.

All told, on my ISDN connection, it makes for a somewhat clunky appearance when loading the page.

If you can, I'd recommend coding the nav bar differently - you could achieve the same visual effect much more easily - and with less bandwidth - using CSS. This is especially true since your nav bar is, in effect, text only.

The iWeb nav bar relies heavily on JavaScript. This can be a problem for anyone browsing your site without JavaScript enabled.

By way of comparison, here's the HTML code for just one item in your nav bar:

<a style="display: block; height: 29px; left: 55px; position: absolute; top: 10px; width: 57px; z-index: 2; " onmouseout="NBmouseout('0');" href="Home.html" onmouseover="NBmouseover('0');"></a>
<div style="background: transparent url(About%20Us_files/navbar_1_normal.png) no-repeat scroll center; height: 36px; left: 212px; position: absolute; top: 7px; width: 96px; z-index: 1; " id="navbar_1_normal"></div>
<div style="background: transparent url(About%20Us_files/navbar_1_rollover.png) no-repeat scroll center; height: 36px; left: 212px; position: absolute; top: 7px; visibility: hidden; width: 96px; z-index: 1; " id="navbar_1_rollover"></div>

In contrast, here's one item from the nav bar on our website:

<td align="center"><strong><a href="index.htm">home</a></strong></td>
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #17
Major Player

The Google thing....

You don't need to create a link in your main pages for the Google link. All the Google file does is tell Google that you own the site. It just needs to sit in the root directory of your site.

What you should do is create a site map (basically, a list of files on your site), and submit that to Google. Every now and then, Google's robot will drop by and survey your site.

There are a number of free tools you can use to create your site map.

e.g., http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/

Just enter your website address and it will create the file for you online (an XML file). Download it and put it on your website. Then go to Google and "register" it.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #18
New Boot

John thanks for your detailed advice, it means alot. I'll look into making the nav. headings more effiecent, and look into the google sitemap. thanks again!
Jim Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Not a bad site overall but I do have one suggestion. Since the second video on your samples page is really more of a promo clip, it would be better served to have that on your homepage. Make it a smaller file, take it out of the player and use it on your homepage in place of the photo.
Heather Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #20
New Boot

Thats a really interesting idea Heather, thanks for your input! I will be adding additional pages that cover other services, live music production, educational, etc . By having a wedding video on my front page I may be tying myself down. I do have to admit that I tend to skip through flash intro on other ppls sites.
Jim Stork is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques