DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   New website (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/88540-new-website.html)

Jim Stork March 9th, 2007 04:48 AM

New website

Hi everyone, I just completed a website and was hoping to get some feedback, and or constructive criticism. The samples were shot on FX-1. Lemme know what you think, thanks.

Jim Stork
www.ForestBeachFilms.com
HX-A1 & FX-1 owner

Neil Rostance March 9th, 2007 05:45 AM

Great stuff, good design and great navigation.

Only criticism would be....

The sample videos are great. But the two videos start to load automatically at the same time, it might be better to have a "press to start" choice to start loading a video, rather than they just start and eat up your bandwidth and my connection speed.

that's my suggestion, hope it helps! everything else is great. Feel free to berate my website in return!

Neil

Richard Wakefield March 9th, 2007 05:46 AM

Hi there Jim...welcome to the forum

i really do like the look of you site...it's not overcrowded with info, and the two demos are fine, and very good quality for the web (i thought many of the shots in the first clip could have been enhanced with a tripod though)

but can I ask, are you ACTUALLY delivering HD??? obviously you're shooting in HD with the FX1, but you might want to clarify how/if you're delivering it?

anyway, nice looking site...(loved the professional look of the 2nd clip especially..was she a hired model/friend?)
Richard

Robert M Wright March 9th, 2007 11:06 AM

Got this when I tried to look at your site:

"You have requested a page that is not currently available due to data transfer restrictions."

Bill Anciaux March 9th, 2007 02:35 PM

I wasn't able to view your site either. The link you posted re-directed me to a .Mac url which wouldn't open. I received the same message as the post above.

Neil Rostance March 9th, 2007 03:34 PM

I've got a sneaky suspicion those quicktime files popped your bandwidth limit. Mine did the same as soon as i linked from here!

Jonathan Nelson March 9th, 2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Rostance (Post 639043)
I've got a sneaky suspicion those quicktime files popped your bandwidth limit. Mine did the same as soon as i linked from here!

I think you could be right. I had the same thing happen to me and I didnt even post the url here. It was just from web traffic. I upgraded to the 4gb with 250gb transfer and have not had my bandwidth limit pop since.

I think the regular account comes with 10 gigs of transfer per month.

With that said, I think it is a good idea to host the website and the videos on two different accounts or servers so you don't have to worry about losing whole shebang.

Jim Stork March 9th, 2007 04:32 PM

Hi guys, thanks for looking into the site, and your feedback, its greatly appreciated! Yes I popped my bandwidth and am in the process of getting it back up. Thanks again to all those who went to check it out.

Richard, in regards to HD deliverability, all footage is cut in HDV then downconverted before burned to DVD. At a later point clients (most I have delt with do have HiDef TVs) can get the wedding in a HiDef format. B&G are welcome to view near final cut or final cut on my Hi Def TV which is linked to the computer, to see their wedding in true HD.

My girlfriend modeled for me in the second clip. Since my production company is titled Forest Beach Films, I wanted to capture that theme by producing a short clip on a beach.

Neil I totally agree with you in regards to the double loading, I cringe every time I see it. Is there a setting I can change to allow viewers to select when to download? Is this called "Hinted streaming"?

Again thanks for comments and criticisms, all which are helpful. I should have the site up soon.

Waldemar Winkler March 9th, 2007 07:04 PM

Very good. I found the shadows on the text actually made it more difficult for me to read. By the way, in iWeb, applying shadow to a text box makes it an image, and therefore not readable by search engines.

John Miller March 9th, 2007 08:08 PM

Hi Jim,

My impressions based upon IE6 connecting via ISDN.

1. I like the photography.
2. The pages themselves take a long time to render and, while a page is being drawn, you can see various blocks of color appear momentarily before the final picture/object appears (esp. the navigation menu)
3. The GoDaddy header is off-putting and lessens the "clean" nature of your content.
4. The Weddings page doesn't work. Lots of red crosses (missing images, including GIFs). The nav bar disappears, too. So you end up "lost".
5. Refresh the Weddings page results in "Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)". Perhaps I hit on the site just as you were going to take it down/move it.

Of the above, #3 is the zinger for me. I'd recommend paying for hosting so you can keep the clean appearance that you are striving for.

Jim Stork March 9th, 2007 10:04 PM

Ok the website is officially back up! The ads are off, and I'm in the process of changing the shadow on the words. I agree it does make it more difficult to read. Great advice! I'm still not sure how to delay the samples to only stream when clicked on.

Waldemar Winkler March 10th, 2007 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Stork (Post 639150)
Ok the website is officially back up! The ads are off, and I'm in the process of changing the shadow on the words. I agree it does make it more difficult to read. Great advice! I'm still not sure how to delay the samples to only stream when clicked on.

I'm guessing you have your quicktime movies set to automatically load and play. The control is in the movie itself. If you have QuickTime Pro navigate to Window>Show Movie properties, and click on the "Presentation" button on far right. Make the adjustments you need.

Robert M Wright March 10th, 2007 09:38 AM

I just took a quick glance (busy morning). I'm using Firefox, and thought you might want to know that text at the bottom of the first page is being superimposed over other text.

Terry Esslinger March 10th, 2007 01:17 PM

I found the same thing as Robert but using IE7

Jim Stork March 10th, 2007 04:29 PM

thanks for letting me know, thats not supposed to happen. I made some adjustments about the superimposing text on the first page.