Using SD or HD Cams: Poll - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I went for the Z1 and FX1 last year moving from the pd150.

Gary
Gary Mckinstry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #17
Major Player

I went with the HD100 this past winter. Costly to change over but worth the investment for me.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #18
Regular Crew

We use a Pana DVX102B(A-roll) & Canon XL2(B-roll) shooting weddings in 16:9, mixing 50i with 25P on the timeline rendering to 25P for DVD delivery.

Currently just researching HDV/DVCPRO and will choose between either the JVC GY-HD111 or Pana HVX202.

When brides start asking us for HD then we'll look at investing in it - any sooner though and I think I'd only be satisfying a WANT rather than a NEED!!! (Already made that mistake purchasing the XL2 instead of a second DVX.)
Paul Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #19
Major Player

ALL HD NOW! We turned in our DR-DV5000's and purchased 6 HD-110's. Couldn't be happier - you really see the difference witht he image detail. They definately don't do as well in low light, but the gain seems to be a bit more forgiving than the SD cameras.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #20
New Boot

I have FX1 and July my first shooting in HDV format...
Kostas Madalias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Moved from DSR300s to 2 FX1s with Beachtek XLR adaptors and an A1. We did this as much to shoot in true 16:9 as to have HD capability. No regrets.
Mike Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I'm using two Sony FX1's with an HC1 as a run-around cam. Sold my Canon GL1/GL2 with accessories for enough to almost pay for one of the Sonys.

As others have noted low-light settings can be a challenge for HDV, but I'm learning to work with that plus iron out other kinks dealing with widescreen/HD footage. Glad to be doing that now before more customers decide they want HD.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Only have one camera so far.
It's a JVC GY-HD100.
I like it, but it was way over my budget.
I should have purchased two or three SD cameras
from Sony or Panasonic instead, but I lost my mind.
Don't get me wrong... I love the JVC GY-HD100,
It was just the wrong time for such an expensive camera.
Now I'm totally broke... :(
M
Michael Steeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #24
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
GL-1 and GL-2 for weddings. Mostly because the wedding business in general doesn't support the cost, etc. of HD...for now.
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #25
Major Player

SD all the way here. 1-VX2100, 2-VX2000's.

I figure I've got a least 2 years. And even then, I'll most likely rent first before betting the farm on any particular HD cam right away.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Two FX1s here. Primary reason was for native 16:9. HD is a bonus, but haven't delivered an HD project yet. For a 3rd backup cam, I'm struggling with whether to get a VX2100 (low-light) or an HC3 (can be used as a capture deck).
Eric Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Im in the process of getting started in the wedding realm. I do some commercial/corporate work as well so I chose a HVX200. I do not regret my decision at all. We will be purchasing 1 more HVX probably in September. with anothe HVX after the first of next year. The color quality is absolutely incredible on this camera. It is realy hard to lay down footage shot on my XL1 beside what this camera shoots. This cam makes my XL1 footage look like it was shot on a handicam.

The reason I chose HD over SD was that I wanted to be on the bleeding edge. I could not see myself spending 3 grand on a DVX, that might only last me a year before I really need to start making a move to HD. My thoughts were that I needed to get the best camera I could afford for what I do. The camera by the way has already paid for itself in the gigs I have done. I bought it in december, and I only do video at the moment part time in the evenings and on weekends.
www.bandwagonhd.com
Timothy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #28
Major Player

Sticking with my SD Canon's at least for the remainder of this year. Will keep them for an additional year as back up. HD cameras some time next year, followed by new computers.
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #29
Major Player

It is great to hear so many responses to the gear the users here work with and plan to purchase....keep them coming!
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I think HDV or HD cameras are reliable but when software, players & etc get in to the point with a good price! to expensive I have both versions of cameras and to be honest I don't use the features, just still using SD with it/.

I bought the cameras because my JVC GY-GV500 was to old, 7 years, and I was in the need of a new camera so I decided to go with new tech and expect better use in the near future.
I courrently have PDW-F350 form Sony and GY-HD110 from JVC so far no complaints only a little hard time learning new funtions with the Sony.
BTW I don't even have a HD monitor hehehe so I can't tell you yet about quality picture.
I work for a network in the hispanic market here in US and we don't have HD yet, just Panasonic DVC-Pro gear.
cheers!~
William Osorio
William Osorio is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques