Using SD or HD Cams: Poll - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 21st, 2007, 08:43 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Last year I used an FX1 and an HC1. This year I'll be using the FX1 and a Canon XHA1.

I bought the FX1 about a year ago because it seemed like the best bang for the buck. I convinced my mother-in-law to buy the HC1 and our church to buy the XHA1. I get to borrow them just about whenever I want. Much cheaper than owning or renting!

I felt that, compared to the PD170, for example, the slightly higher price and slightly lower low-light performance of the FX1 was a small price to pay for all the current and future benefits of HD. I was afraid of buying something that might be obsolete and worthless in a couple of years. I was coming from a 7 lux single chip SD Sony, so the 3 lux rating of the FX1 was a huge improvement to me!

The FX1 is starting to look a little obsolete now, because it doesn't shoot progressive!
Stephen Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:36 PM   #47
Inner Circle

to be honest, low light performance isnt the be all and end all

IMO colour saturation and gradation accuracy far exceeds the need to see in the dark
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:16 PM   #48
Regular Crew

where's the poll?

HDV in the sun...ahh...so nice
Sony HC5
Art Willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:58 PM   #49
Major Player

Hd

I've been using the Z1 since June '05 with an FX1 as a spare. Replaced it with an A1 last year to save weight.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:11 AM   #50
Major Player

We're currently using a pair of PD-170s for mostly wedding work. I think we'll get introduced to HD by purchasing an HV20 very soon. No plans to upgrade until 2008. BTW, if PD-170s had native 16.9, HD upgrade would be much later.
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:47 AM   #51
Inner Circle

bob you could always save afew thousand bux by going for a Centruy Optics 16:9 adapter..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:51 AM   #52
Regular Crew

I use two Canon XL2s (which I'm very hapy with) and will be acquiring a third next month. I'll eventually go to HD, but my area is very slow when it comes to people adopting new technology. Some people still want VHS, so HD is a loooong ways away in my area. Plus I need to pay off the XL2s first.
Nicholas Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:55 AM   #53
Regular Crew

using hdv

I shoot with a Sony Z1U but deliver in sd for now. My other camera is a VX1000, so I really was due for a new camera. Nice to now have a camera that can do both sd and hdv for this transitional time. For sd delivery, shooting hdv looks very good, and I have the advantage of having the hdv available in case I get any requests. However, I always hire a 2nd camera person with gear, so I'm hoping there will be shooters available for me to hire with Z1Us or matching, for any brides requesting hdv.

The obstacle now is waiting to see if anyone will be able to play a HD or BluRay DVD-R. Meantime, I can at least get used to working with my Z1 and all it's capabilities, and gradually add on whatever I'll need to add to my editing and delivery workflow.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM   #54
New Boot

Saxon Bashford

I'm currently using my trusty PDX 10, shooting 16:9, and hoping to buy a Z1 or V1 soon. Even so, I imagine I'll be delivering SD for a little while yet.
Saxon Bashford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques