The Ceremony clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 26th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

The Ceremony clip

Just curious on what you guys do with the actual Ceremony clip. Do you show the full wedding ceremony from start to finish? Or do you cut it up, so that only thinks like the vows, rings, kiss, processions get put on the DVD (More "highlight based")

Since starting out - I have usually kept from cutting the Ceremony up and show it as one continuos clip (from start to finish), but with a lot of Christian weddings lasting about an hour - I'm really debating on cutting up the Ceremony's more and just show the important stuff. Kind of curious on what you guys do.

I do a few single camera weddings a year, and covering up mistakes (a shake or a bad pan, etc) really becomes a challenge when you have only a few "b-roll" crowd shots and you need to reuse those same shots a few times in one hour long Ceremony clip.

Thanks
Ryan
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle

2 to 3 cams for each ceremony, howeve ri shoot as though i only have one..
cuts between cams, colour grading VERY minial effects (slow mo only really)..

i show the entire piece becuase this is what my clients want..
If they want highlights theyd go for a smaller package..

Also with Orthodox and Jewish weddings, u dont have the luxury of offering highlights only as the families wont accept this. As a highlghts ADD ON to the MAIN edit then yes, but if u offer raw footage then a highlights, they'll laugh in ur face

editing can eat up alot of ur time though.. but im clear about my product vs the competitions offerings.. nto many offer long form edits like i do and thats what people pay for
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #3
Major Player

I always present the entire ceremony from processional through recessional. There may be some editing between cameras as well as trimming long pauses and smoothing out the often syncopated cadence of the processional and recessional.

Extensive editing of ceremonies is saved for highlights clips.

Last edited by Waldemar Winkler; March 26th, 2007 at 05:24 PM.
Waldemar Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I and several other wedding videographers I work with edit the ceremony to show mainly the highlights. This is what most of our customers prefer. I do include the complete ceremony for customers who want that.
There's no right way or wrong way. It's all the type of video product you want to offer, and what your customers like.
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Brodsky View Post
I and several other wedding videographers I work with edit the ceremony to show mainly the highlights. This is what most of our customers prefer. I do include the complete ceremony for customers who want that.
There's no right way or wrong way. It's all the type of video product you want to offer, and what your customers like.
Absolutely! How sequences are edited (in general terms, but can get specific) is a subject I always discuss with clients. The more they understand what I intend to accomplish, and the more I understand what they want, the better the finished DVD.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques