Marketing Idea question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 30th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Marketing Idea question

Photographers sometimes hand out a card to each table at a wedding, and tell them to go there to check out pics in a couple weeks.
Has anybody ever had any experience doing this with, say, a highlight video(instead of pics, obviously)?

Turn around is much longer for video, so this might be difficult, but it would be a great way to get cards out without feeling pushy.
James Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi James,

I've been thinking about the same thing. You've got a captive audience with a common interest: the bride and groom. Unless you can knock out a web-product in two weeks, people won't hang on that long, IMHO. I encourage my brides (that sounds funny), rather, I encourage my clients to email the finished hyperlink to everyone they know. That way THEY become the salesperson (and referral).

The act of distributing business cards at weddings seems intrusive to me. Even when I give a card to another vender, I am very discreet about it. Marketing is driven by perception, and if the people perceive that you are leveraging their wedding...it's like a telemarketer on Christmas.

Last night I did my first SDE (Same-Day-Edit). It was beautiful, because it was all about the couple and not about me. BUT, when another wedding comes up, that person will go to the couple and find out who I was. If you think about it, even if a personally gave the person my card they would want to talk to the couple about their experience with me.

-Dana

BTW: You might also be thinking about mini CD referral cards. IMO, they're too expensive, but you could give it a try.
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #3
Major Player

That's why SDE's are so great ... it gives you a chance to promote your product to the entire hall without seeming to ..um .. uh ... greasy.

Same with pre-wedding slideshows and love walks, which are shown at the hall on the big screen. Gives wedding minded folk the opportunity to check out your work
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Major Player

I personally would not place biz cards on tables at the reception.....ever, no matter who else is doing this.

I think it's "tacky" but it may work for some others. Believe me, if your clients are happy with your final product, they will certainly refer you in the future.

If there are people at the reception who are in need or are thinking about having a professional videographer for their wedding, they will most likely approach you at some point during the day or they will ask the bride/groom about your services.

And yes....SDE's are a fantastic way to drum up interest in your services from guests. I have gained business from SDE's in the past.

My 2 cents...

Good luck, Joe
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:08 PM   #5
Inner Circle

i agree with Joe 100%
I would never put cards or anything of that nature on tabls. IMO its a cheap tacky and desperate way to get peoples attention and 90% of the time the card will be thrown away anyway

I guess im arrogant in the sense that if peopel want to speak with me, or check out my services, i expect them to come to me, not the other way around
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 06:09 AM   #6
Major Player

well with two weddings i did exactly this idea...cards saying 'you can watch highlights of this wedding at http://blah blah/AdamandEve.htm in 2 weeks time'

then when people went to see it, up popped a nice little paypal link to buy a copy of the wedding DVD..how cunning :)

it worked, i sold a few copies, but then again, maybe those people would have ordered one anyway?

i'm not going to carry on doing it though. i don't like the hassle of putting cards out to guests while they are trying to enjoy the day. it is a bit tacky and unnecessary.

something else to consider is simply emailing the bride and groom when the highlights (and paypal link) are uploaded, and get them to email everyone they know the link. much less work!
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 06:39 AM   #7
Major Player

That's honest. I'm glad you're not handing out cards anymore, and it's good to hear of your transition to what you do today. I hadn't thought of offering a Paypal hyperlink where guests could buy a copy. I'm a little surprised that you had some bites. You say that you wonder if they would've ordered one anyway. I don't think so myself. They have to hear about it.

I often wonder of the guests interest in the video. I did a SDE this week and was shocked at how all eyes were on the screen. People really liked it. So there is a market -- I just don't want to be the one to sell it.

I like the idea of online distribution better, especially at the idea of fulfilling orders. My day is so hectic, I don't want to be distracted by sending out DVDs to individuals. I'd rather see the bride order a batch of DVDs as thank you gifts. Does anyone do this?

-Dana
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I also think handing business cards to guests or leaving them on the tables is tacky, so here's what I do. I have business cards with the URL of the wedding preview in plastic card holders which I leave on the DJ's table, bar, etc.

The second thing I do is have the preview online in 2-3 days. I've had a number of surprised couples tell me how great it was to see a preview of their wedding while on their honeymoon! They then email their friends and relatives and I get hits from all over the world.

Joe
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:42 PM   #9
Inner Circle

with the amount of work i do, i dont have time for previews and some such.. it would be good if i DID have time, and definately a possibility, but IMO, id rather focus on the actual work..
Call me arrogant, but like manyu photographers, I dont need to drum up any more business, im having enough trouble keepin up as it is..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 02:38 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Just thought I'd share the "trailer" from last night's wedding (3-31-07). Comments welcome.

http://www.videographybymediaconcepts.com/preview/

Joe
Old April 1st, 2007, 03:06 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Goldsberry View Post
Just thought I'd share the "trailer" from last night's wedding (3-31-07). Comments welcome.

http://www.videographybymediaconcepts.com/preview/

Joe

Joe- I liked the piece you produced....especially for a quick turn around. Good work!

Cheers- Joe
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:11 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Yeah, I thought it was a pushy idea, too. I haven't ever handed out cards to guests, but I was interested too see if anybody out there was.Thanks for the feedback.
James Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:15 AM   #13
Major Player

Peter -- that's encouraging! Question: What does your work week look like? Do you do mostly weddings? What other things fill up your days?
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:07 PM   #14
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
... So there is a market -- I just don't want to be the one to sell it...
-Dana
I agree with the other posts about tackiness, (sp?) but on the other hand, if we don't sell ourselves, who will? I think it's a fine line we walk when we market ourselves. I certainly appreciate reading everyone's thoughts on this subject.

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #15
Trustee

Business cards are tacky on tables.
However, here's what I do, if I am showing a montage at the reception.

After the video has been show, I then have it play all night long on a monitor somewhere in teh corner of teh reception hall, and let guests know that this will be set up for their viewing pleasure thoughout the night.

I then just place a small stack of my cards on the table by the monitor, and let guests take them as they please.

Also, knocking out a quick trailer after the wedding and sending the link to the bride to view and sent to whoever she wants, will generate lots of traffic and potential customers to your website as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques