Would a GL2 be a good camera for weddings? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 30th, 2003, 09:46 AM   #16
Major Player

Glen I have worked with both cams VX2000 and GL2. I worked with an independent film maker on a feature length made for video release production about two years ago. He used the vx2000 with all natural light. “The video is being released next month at Hollywood video nationwide it is a vampire movie.” The director wanted to make a dark film that is why he did not add light. The VX2000 handled the natural light very well. But the audio was terrible. It took a lot of work in post to make it work. That is why I chose the Gl2 the audio on this camera is great I use a Sennheiser wireless 500 series mic and I love the sound. The GL2 handles it well in either manual or auto mode. In fact I just shoot a beach wedding and trusted the auto mode and was not disappointed. The Candle light wedding I shot last month had beautiful pictures so I am not disappointed there eather. I have the new dvx100 on order to use as my A roll cam and I hope I won’t regret not buying another GL2.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #17
Regular Crew

So Ron, from what I have compiled thus far, it seems as though the GL2 is the best buy. You can always use extra lighting, but what I cant change is the quality of the zoom and picture itself. Besides, the vx2000 is somewhat old isn't it?

THanks for the continuing dialogue.
Joe Cirino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #18
Wrangler

Ron, I'm getting my DVX100 today as a matter of fact. I'm sitting here in anticipation for the big brown truck. lol

Joe, I don't know if you saw my other post regarding this...and I don't know if it was fixed on the GL-2 but- the GL-1 is prone to a few problems. It seems the LCDs go on them pretty often, and sometimes people find hot pixels in their footage. Hopefully Canon got their arses in gear regarding these issues with the new incarnation of the GL cam. I think the single best addition to the GL-2 is audio control. You have no idea how frusterating it is NOT to know what your audio is doing. Even a good pair of monitoring headphones aren't accurate enough.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 10:04 AM   #19
Major Player

Hey guys I got my DVX 100 today and man this thing is cool. I can hardly wait to start using it. So far I don’t have any weddings to do this month so I am going to get a little time to play with it before I use it on a actual job.

My GL2 is now my B-roll cam and I think it is a great choice. It is smaller and simple to use. I am thinking about getting a Flow pod for the GL to use during the reception so I can keep up with the action. The DVX will go on my Bogen with the 501 head. I extend the legs all the way and extend the crank extension. I can get the cam above all the heads during the dancing and shoot down on the dance floor. I mix that footage with the roving cam and I have movie like cuts of the action.

I think this is going to be a great combination to make my videos look very professional.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 10:48 AM   #20
Major Player

The PAGLight C6 is a light you might consider for the GL-2. Why? Price...about $290. Comes complete with 20W lamp, battery, barn doors, rotatable diffuser and dichroic filter. It hasn't been battle tested yet but it's lightweight and stays cool. Should be a good fill light.

http://www.paguk.com/c6/

Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 05:05 PM   #21
Major Player

That PAG light really looks sweet. Maybe next year that will be one of my equipment upgrades.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:14 AM   #22
Major Player

Glen did you get your DVX100 yet? I was just wondering what your first impressions was.
Ron Little is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques