Would a GL2 be a good camera for weddings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 27th, 2003, 10:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Would a GL2 be a good camera for weddings?

What would you recomend for low lighting as far as shoe lights, or other ways of lighting for a wedding. I am considering getting into wedding shootin. ;-)

Also, is a GL2 a good camera or is there a better choice for weddings. I am torn between a GL2 and a VX2000.

Any help on either question is appreciated.

Joe

www.hyperjoes.com
Joe Cirino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 10:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

People say the VX2000 and PD150 have better low light capabilities than the Canon cameras. I haven't used them in low light conditions, so I'm not sure if/how much better they are.

Regardless, the GL2 will still be a very capable wedding camera.
Old April 27th, 2003, 10:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Dylan for your answer. I was wondering if anyone here can tell me if the difference is something that would be a factor in determining in buying the gl2 or the vx2000?

thanks all

joe
Old April 28th, 2003, 01:22 AM   #4
Outer Circle

Both would make good wedding cams, though the VX is a bit better with lower light. Both cams would perform better with a Beachtek and decent external mic. A Lav would also be good. An external light would help for either cam---for those very low light moments. I suggest going and seeing these cams and trying them before making your final decision.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2003, 08:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you so much Frank for your reply.
The trouble is there are no Sony dealers that have them to see. They only order them for you...
Old April 28th, 2003, 11:45 AM   #6
Major Player

GLC and Wedding

I have shot several weddings with the GL2 and it works great.

One wedding was a candle light wedding and the couple did not want me to use light on my cam. No problem put it in TV mode and changed the shutter speed. The footage looked great the couple loved it and I got Paid

This last Saturday I shot a wedding on the beach at sun set again the footage was beautiful and again I got paid.

I love this camera. I am purchasing a DVX 100 as my main cam and plan on using the GL2 for B-roll. I hope I don't regret not buying another GL2.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Joe, I've used the VX2000 and I've used the GL1. I've also played around with the GL2. My opinion is this:

Both are good cams for shooting weddings. Both cams have manual low shutter settings for shooting lower light scenes and for creativity (like with lower light / flashing-changing light on a dance floor). The VX2000 seems heavier and more solid (more of a tripod cam in my books). The GL2 is perfectly ballanced---easy to hold---and so I lean more towards the GL2. However, having shot a lot of footage where lighting was low, I would lean toward the VX2000 for weddings. For example, I would never buy the 1/6" CCD'd PV-DV953 for shooting weddings because its lux requirements are higher. I don't think there's a big difference in lux requirements between the VX and GL2, but if I wanted to make a living shooting weddings, I'd get the cam with the cleanest video in lower light. So I'd go for the VX2000. But wait, if I had a little more money to spend, I'd look for a JVC DV500. This is a great wedding cam, because you can also stabilize it with your shoulder, and it has big 1/2" CCDs.

Now don't laugh. I've shot weddings. Know what I use? Almost 5 year old 1 chip JVC cams called the GR-DV9500U. Why? Good low light, good controls, GL1-like footage, lower shutter settings, progressive scan, and reliable.

So in short, if I wanted to do weddings and need a cam, I'd go for a VX2000. If I had more to spend, I'd look for the discontinued DV500. If I wanted a good all-around cam for doing many things, including weddings, I'd jump on a GL2 purchase. Nothing is simple in life, and there's no perfect cam. But some cams do certain things better than others. Oh, one last thing, the GL2 is very easy to use.
Old April 28th, 2003, 02:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Frank, I think you have made up my mind. Im doing the GL2. Weddings are not going to be the primary function of this camera. I just want a good all around camera. If it is really bad lighting, I can always use a fill light.

Is there a good shoe light that you recomend that will not blind the crowd and show that "home video" look? I have a lot of learning to do with using the features of the GL2. I am really fresh out of water when it comes to lenses and such. Thanks again Frank!!

Joe
Old April 28th, 2003, 02:39 PM   #9
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Joe,
Within the Canon product line, there's a 3 watt light that mounts to the Smart Shoe and is powered by the GL2's battery. Not very powerful but very handy for fill on close shots.

Canon also makes a 10 watt (VL-10i?) that mounts to the shoe but is powered by a BP-series battery. A bit more muscle, very handy due to it's use of BP batteries, but certainly not a full-powered ENG-style camera light.

For more power you'll have to look toward the 12 volt lights such as those from Frezzi and others.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2003, 04:27 PM   #10
Outer Circle

Joe, good man! You can't go wrong with the GL2. It's a great cam. Deciding is always difficult; it sure was for me when I wanted to buy my first miniDV cam. Might I suggest buying from one of dvinfo's great sponsors?

http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/index.php
Old April 28th, 2003, 04:53 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for the link, ill check it out. Although I am real addament on supporting my local Dodd camera shop, thats of course if they have it in stock.

Thanks Frank =)

Also, do you know of any good shoulder mounts for the unit? How about more of a full hood?
Old April 28th, 2003, 08:05 PM   #12
Outer Circle

I don't know, perhaps start a different thread.
Old April 29th, 2003, 09:16 AM   #13
Major Player

Sony hvl-20dw2

I have the verilux light from NRG but everyone tells me it is too bright. So I bought a Sony hvl-20dw2 it uses Sony lithium battery. This light has two 10-W bulbs you can use it in two modes with one bulb or two. For interviews I use one and for more light you can bring on the other bulb for a total of 20-W. If I have a really dark shoot I use the NRG. But not that often. The neat thing about the Sony light is with two NPT-750 batteries I can shoot for over two hours. The battery attaches to the light and is shoe mounted. The hole package is quit compact. My NRG requires a very large battery that I have to lug around on a belt or on the tripod. I have my cam In a pluck foam metal case with tapes batteries light ready to go. If something requires that I go light a fast I forget the tripod grab my monopod camera case and I have everything I need for almost any run and gun situation.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 02:40 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks Ron for the great info. I am going to look into the combo light. That may be what I need to be most versatile.

Thanks again guys!

Joe
Old April 30th, 2003, 07:46 AM   #15
Wrangler

Re: Would a GL2 be a good camera for weddings?

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Cirino : What would you recomend for low lighting as far as shoe lights, or other ways of lighting for a wedding. I am considering getting into wedding shootin. ;-)

Also, is a GL2 a good camera or is there a better choice for weddings. I am torn between a GL2 and a VX2000.

Any help on either question is appreciated.

Joe

www.hyperjoes.com -->>>

I do wedding videography and work soely with the GL-1. It's a great camera with many features. The only downsides to it are it's lack of audio control and it's low light performance. Sure I have the onboard video light for it but some couples don't want you to use any additional lighting at the reception...which is tough. I've heard the VX2000 and Sony's in general are better in low light conditions. I don't know much about the VX2000 but if it does have audio level control I'd go with that. Otherwise it's pretty much a toss up.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques