Should I do 2 weddings in 1 weekend? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 6th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Should I do 2 weddings in 1 weekend?

Hi,

I'm getting inquiries to do a wedding on a Saturday, but I already have another wedding on Sunday that same weekend.

I really don't think it's a good idea to do this, since I will be burned out from the first wedding. If it were a seminar or concert, I wouldn't have an issue but weddings are really hard work and my back gets trashed from all that running around.

I'm thinking about turning it down out of respect for the other client I have booked.

What do you guys do in this situation?
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Well, if you think you wont be able to do the same level of work that they expect after seeing your previous work I would probably say you should not book another client. Is there anything you could do to help with the back issues when working? Small back brace? Shoulder support system for the cams etc?
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Sub it out. Or at least bring someone with you who is more physically capabable of handling the shooting while you do the client control, directing etc (I have done this cause of a disability which makes shooting an entire wedding impossible)

I am not one for turning down work .. but hey, that's just me
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Did a few like that in the early days but now no way! - The body just can't take it anymore.

Rather than just say no to the client we have a couple of good local videogs we refer them to.
Paul Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #5
Inner Circle

that's up to you - if you feel you can physicaly handle it. I used to do as many a 3 in a holiday weekend then I cut it down to no more than 2 now it's 1 a weekend as at my age I just can't do it from a physcal standpoint.
Of course if the gigs are Friday and Sunday it's a possiblity I MIGHT do 2 with Saturday as a rest day but frankly I don't think thats going to happen this year or any other anymore as I've already turned down work that is spread like that.
It's hell to get old ;-( {arthritis, bursistis and a torn rotator cuff plus a bad back and bad knees. Life has taken a toll on my body}

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #6
Inner Circle

My thoughts.

It is hard to turn down the work unless you believe that you can't do it properly for the client.

When I had my machine shop, I had worked as long as 38 hours straight at my machines, then had to go deliver the parts! It is something you can do when younger and once in a great while, but not often.

Sounds like you have time to prepare---get extra rest, get the best shoes you can, get a back brace if it will help, and to find an assistant.

If you feel you can properly prepare and can do the job correctly, then you might consider taking on the additional wedding. If you feel you can't do it, then turn it down or sub it out.

Your body will heal from the soreness and tiredness, but you can't redo the wedding.

Mike
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco View Post
Hi,

I'm getting inquiries to do a wedding on a Saturday, but I already have another wedding on Sunday that same weekend.

I really don't think it's a good idea to do this, since I will be burned out from the first wedding. If it were a seminar or concert, I wouldn't have an issue but weddings are really hard work and my back gets trashed from all that running around.

I'm thinking about turning it down out of respect for the other client I have booked.

What do you guys do in this situation?

Straight up answer..I book it!

I get as much rest as I possibly can between shoots, I try to eat on a regular schedule, and I label tapes and recharge batteries to prep for the next one. That's all, period. (Well, I will shower between!)

I have done 3 over a New Year's week-end (Sat/Sun/Mon) and that almost killed me. I told the wife I'd never do it again, but she knows me, if the client asks for it, I'll do it.

Ultimately, it's up to you and whether or not you think you can do it and do it right!

Good luck!

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #8
Still Motion

I would book it as well. We have several weekends this year with two bookings and a couple with three. It helps that I can get a couple different guys to help out on different days as they are usually two videographer packages and I also try to keep the last packages of the weekend slightly smaller (8-10 hours). I think it comes down to the quality you think you can provide and how much you enjoy this, it is very doable if you can put the effort in but it is easy to not do as good a job for the last shoots as you did for the first, which is why I think you need to also consider how much you enjoy it.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #9
Trustee

2 is not a good number go for 3...lol

Stelios
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for the comments guys.

I think I'm going to turn this one down. Weddings are the one thing that I just don't want to book back 2 back. If it were any other type of event, I would do it, but 2 weddings in a row is just too much stress.

It's not such a big deal to turn down a gig. Remember, we all started our own companies so that we would have the freedom to choose.

I make my decisions based on a "gut" feeling. If my gut tells me that I'm going to be dreading that weekend because of the stress, I've learned to trust that feeling, because I'm usually right.

The idea is to enjoy the work, not kill yourself with it.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques