Natures Call Almost Cost Me It All... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 10th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Natures Call Almost Cost Me It All...

Yesterday proved to me that a Second Camera Person is totally worth their weight in gold.

I had arrived at the Church 30 mins ahead of schedule, got everything set up and the cramps in my stomach proved too much so I had to go across...yes across the road to the country “restroom”. Upon finishing my business I proceeded to go out the door I had came in only to find I was holding the door handle in my hand...so a quick glimpse to the hole in the door where the handle should be and back to the handle in my hand left me back sitting on the toilet where I was earlier. I looked round to see how I was going to escape from this and opened the 1ft x 1ft window and stuck my head out through it to see if anyone was about and for the next 5 minutes there wasn't as much as a cow or a sheep around.

This then left me thinking about my Tripod, Camera and Microphones sitting in the Church over the road which left me yet again back on the toilet!!! It was then that I came up with the brainstorm to phone my wife who was at the Bride's House to come and get me asap. Amongst the tears of laughter and giggles I told her not to rise a scene as to where she was going. 5 minutes later she arrived at the Church and headed in the gates...I had to stick my head out and shout her from my small window to come across the road to the “restroom” and open the door from the other side. She came bent over with laughter across the road to get me and tried the door on her side but it wouldn't open.

Picture the scene...me in a small toilet...her on the other side laughing...my heart racing....so she shouts to me though her laughter “stand back”...I moved closer to the door and said “What”....and next thing I knew the door came flying open and hit me full smack on the side of the head and sent me flying back onto the toilet again....for me to look up and see her standing with her foot still in mid air after kicking the door open...

So I suppose what I'm trying to say is...If I hadn't a second Videographer I could still be there yet...and £4,500.00 worse off.

And another thing that surprised me was I never thought a 5ft woman could honestly kick down a wooden door...... and to top even that, while wearing a pair of high heels. So the next time she tells me to do something I will definately not argue with her, Karate kid eat your heart out.
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sorry but I had to laugh when I read of your adventure...a once in a lifetime! :-)
at least one hopes so!

Yes I would agree with you about your wife-don't mess with her-when she says "JUMP" you simply ask "How High"

Priceless
O O
||
\__/

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
That story HAS to go into some kind of a "best of"!

Thanks for sharing!

What a hoot!
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Nice one Paul

Gary
Gary Mckinstry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #5
Major Player

that is surely one of the funniest threads to grace this forum! ouch!

i can just see it now: 'videographer attacked by toilet, 5ft karate woman and wooden door'
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Paul, you may need to keep an "axe" as part of your camera gear for now on;)
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

HAHA! This is great! Thanks for sharing!
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #8
Major Player

Wow, what a terrifying story!

I have to be honest, I was laughing so hard that I was crying when I was reading this! :')

So all of your gear is still there and you finished the wedding I take it?

That definitely needs to be in the "best-of-DVinfo.net!"

Good to hear that you made it out!
~Gabriel
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #9
Major Player

When I look back on it now I don't know whether to laugh or cry but I always try to look at the positive side of things...I still have all my gear and the job was done! And no doubt I will never hear the end of it from my Wife and I don't think I'll mention it to any future clients...
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:33 AM   #10
Major Player

I bet that left you feeling a little 'flushed', very lucky the whole shoot didnt go down the 'pan'. Your wife will be 'pulling your chain' on that one for years to come.

cant think of anymore
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burnap View Post
I bet that left you feeling a little 'flushed', very lucky the whole shoot didnt go down the 'pan'. Your wife will be 'pulling your chain' on that one for years to come.

cant think of anymore
LOL thats terrible dude....... hahahaha
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #12
Inner Circle

So did your wife have video coverage of her kicking the door in, maybe you can do a reinactment and post the video. I applaud you for sharing. None of us laughed, no really. :}
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #13
Trustee

People make fun of me for wearing a fanny pack. I have a leatherman tool in my fanny pack. I would have had that door fixed in under two minutes or the hinges removed if that door stood between me and a paying job. Actually, I'd probably take the satisfaction of breaking it in pieces since replacing it would cost less than losing the job.

I didn't laugh. Videography horror stories give me the creeps.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
I have a leatherman tool in my fanny pack.
snigger snigger - 'tool in my fanny'...sorry, i'm english!
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
So did your wife have video coverage of her kicking the door in, maybe you can do a reinactment and post the video. I applaud you for sharing. None of us laughed, no really. :}
The both of us have decided to do a re-construction of the scary moment and I'll post up a link to it for a bit of a laugh here on the forum.
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques