DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wireless mic systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/91554-wireless-mic-systems.html)

Janice DeMille April 15th, 2007 08:49 AM

Wireless mic systems

We have a Sennheiser G2 system. I am wondering what equipment folks use for mixing multiple wireless mics. We also use iRivers which work great for wedding backups. Recently we did a freelance shoot which involved capturing the sound of one actor. Usually the company that hires us does a voice over. We are anticipating (hoping) for more of this type of work and want to be prepared.

thanks for any info

Don Bloom April 15th, 2007 11:03 AM

I use a Berhinger1204 mixer for multiple audio systems EXCEPT when doing weddings. Then I run 2 wireless - 1 to each camera.

For just about any other kind of work I use a mixer.

Don

Jason Magbanua April 15th, 2007 07:13 PM

we got two senns too on two cameras.

one from a direct feed off the establishment's mixer. the other one from a miced PA system.

Janice DeMille April 16th, 2007 06:30 AM

Thanks. I am looking at using the mixer for freelance work. I found a Behringer Xenyx 1204 Mixer brand new on eBay for $125 + $13.95. Is this the same unit you use Dan? Can you hook the wireless units into it?

I appreciate the responses.

Don Bloom April 16th, 2007 07:24 AM

Yep, that's the one. The price is pretty much the same no matter where you get it.
I've run as many as 4 wireless systems at once but generally it's 2 along with a DVD player and a laptop for music and sometimes a cd player and a VOG mic hardwired into the mixer. For the type of work i use it for it works just fine.
Don

Jon Omiatek April 16th, 2007 07:37 AM

We never rely on the sound board. It's nice when it works but it hasn't so many times I am glad we had a backup. We connect the sound board to our rear camera as well as using a shotgun mic.

We use an iriver and Wireless(connected to Camera1) on the podium. The priest has an iriver and the B&G have a wireless(connected to Camera2) The reason we mic the priest with an iriver, is that, we will have a backup to the B&G wireless.

We always test wireless and soundboard prior to the services. Wireless interference comes from something added after testing, since we don’t have full control, it’s nice to have a backup.

NLE is a great mixer if you have good sources.

Janice DeMille April 17th, 2007 08:19 AM

Thanks all, as usual great info.

Rick Steele April 17th, 2007 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Omiatek (Post 661116)
NLE is a great mixer if you have good sources.

I agree with this and never understood why some folks insist on mixing their live feeds during the event. If one is no good the whole mix is screwed.

Michael Liebergot April 17th, 2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Steele (Post 662016)
I agree with this and never understood why some folks insist on mixing their live feeds during the event. If one is no good the whole mix is screwed.

Hey Rick, how ya doin.
That's the reason that I haven't moved to the Edirol R4 like I had been thinking about. Even though the R4 is very easy to setup and use. I would much rather have 4 separate sound sources and mix in post.

More work yes, but much better reduncancy.

That's why I'm looking forward to test out the Zoom H2 in a week or so. I used to use IRivers, before they all wnet haywire on me (All computers stopped recognizing the device MAC or PC). Must not like me for some reason.

I have had great luck with the R09 and H4 (love the removable media). But, only have 2 because of the price tags (although $299 for H4 isn't bad, but it's too large to place on someone). Been saving up for a R4, but if the H2 works out like I expect it might, then I will drop the bones on 2-3 more, and use them as I did the IRivers before (In a pocket here and there, in a board, on a mic stand recording soloists (which I already use the R09 and H4 for now), hidden in flowers.

Waldemar Winkler April 17th, 2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 660629)
I use a Berhinger1204 mixer for multiple audio systems EXCEPT when doing weddings. Then I run 2 wireless - 1 to each camera.

For just about any other kind of work I use a mixer.

Don

I use the same mixer, but I use it for weddings on one camera. The trick is to verify all audio feeds to the mixer beforehand. If one mic gets fussy, it gets turned off at the mixer. The other two cameras have different feeds. One is ambient audio. The other has the grooms's mic only. There is also an iRiver appropriately placed for backup.

Michael Nistler April 18th, 2007 01:07 AM

Mix it up during recording or post?

Hi Janice,

If you were doing a Same Day Edit and had a dedicated sound engineer, using a field mixer would make a lot of sense. But since most videographers don't have a dedicated sound guy and may take a few months to edit the video/audio, it doesn't make sense to try to mix in real-time. It's hard enough to manage video and a few channels of audio, without the complications of leveling and mixing extra channels. In our trade, the more tracks the better - that way we can get the best results in post-production editing (including ADR and VO).

Regards, Michael

Janice DeMille April 19th, 2007 07:59 AM

Hi all, I am going to look into purchasing a Behringer 1204 mixer. I will use it to for commercial shoots where I have to hand over the footage almost immediately. They want each speaker to have a wireless mic, so far I've only had one person to mic so it worked out fine.

I agree trying to mix the sound at a wedding would be a lot of work.

I appreciate your input.

Rick Steele April 19th, 2007 07:03 PM

Hey Michael!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot (Post 662088)
but if the H2 works out like I expect it might, then I will drop the bones on 2-3 more, and use them as I did the IRivers before

My goal is to get all audio off camera. The exception being the groom's wireless at the ceremony. It's still nice to at least hear his mic working just before the ceremony.

I just did a reception where I fed 2 audio sources soley into iRivers. Risky, but man that was great. Once I was sure they were recording correctly all I did was <gasp> use my camera for video and some ambient crowd noise. Normally I feed from his speaker to a wireless but really want to get everything off my camera except some lighting.

I'll be getting an H4 soon to use at receptions.