DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   High School Prom (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/91994-high-school-prom.html)

Chris Harris April 20th, 2007 07:38 PM

High School Prom

How would you go about filming a prom? I'm thinking you get footage of the hotel decorations, people arriving in limos or walking up, people dancing, people registering, the king/queen announcements, getting their pictures taken, etc. I'll have 3 cameras available, and I'm going to have 2 assistants helping me. I was thinking of having one stationary cam somewhere for time-lapse footage. Is there anything fun/additional that I could do? Would interviews or anything of the sort be interesting? What would you have wanted if you had a videographer at YOUR high school prom?

Darrell Aubert April 20th, 2007 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harris (Post 664287)
How would you go about filming a prom? I'm thinking you get footage of the hotel decorations, people arriving in limos or walking up, people dancing, people registering, the king/queen announcements, getting their pictures taken, etc. I'll have 3 cameras available, and I'm going to have 2 assistants helping me. I was thinking of having one stationary cam somewhere for time-lapse footage. Is there anything fun/additional that I could do? Would interviews or anything of the sort be interesting? What would you have wanted if you had a videographer at YOUR high school prom?

I've done proms before. Here's what I did. 2 cameras. I did standard coverage of the "events" like the prom kings and queens, that sort of thing. I then did two montage made up of dance footage throughout the night. One slow, one fast.

Interviews- Hell No! Its like a wedding, people don't want to be bothered. Make it fun and interesting. These kids are hooked on MTV style video so thats what they want.

Joe Allen Rosenberger April 21st, 2007 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell Aubert (Post 664398)
I've done proms before. Here's what I did. 2 cameras. I did standard coverage of the "events" like the prom kings and queens, that sort of thing. I then did two montage made up of dance footage throughout the night. One slow, one fast.

Interviews- Hell No! Its like a wedding, people don't want to be bothered. Make it fun and interesting. These kids are hooked on MTV style video so thats what they want.

\

Yep....think MTV- "Cribs", "Pimp my Ride", etc. Your final vid will need to be cut to the latest music trends on MTV as well.....anything else would most likely be a laughing stock.

COVER everyone and don't "favor" certain clicks if noticed......high school is bad enough with popularity contests as is. Keep even coverage of all.

You could treat the arrivals in limos like a red carpet event since the kids will be all decked out.

Don Bloom April 21st, 2007 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger (Post 664442)
\

Yep....think MTV- "Cribs", "Pimp my Ride", etc. Your final vid will need to be cut to the latest music trends on MTV as well.....anything else would most likely be a laughing stock.

COVER everyone and don't "favor" certain clicks if noticed......high school is bad enough with popularity contests as is. Keep even coverage of all.

You could treat the arrivals in limos like a red carpet event since the kids will be all decked out.

I guess that means music by Frank or Dean is probably out huh?

Don

Joe Allen Rosenberger April 21st, 2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 664485)
I guess that means music by Frank or Dean is probably out huh?

Don

Only if you want these teenagers to fall asleep while watching;)

Chris Harris April 23rd, 2007 09:17 PM

Doesn't sound too difficult then. I'm excited, it's coming up this weekend. I did something similar a year ago, to some positive reactions. I just wanted to make it 10 times better this time around. I wanted to even do an SDE this year, except I don't have a laptop... Oh well, there's always the future. Thanks guys, and if any other ideas are floating around out there, I'd love to hear them!

Mark Holland April 24th, 2007 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harris (Post 666142)
...if any other ideas are floating around out there, I'd love to hear them!...

My first idea was to simply tell the story, you know, driving up to the venue, the sign(s) at the venue, guests arriving, etc... But after reading the other posts, I think maybe a blend of both worlds. In other words, tell the story, but at a fast pace, MTV style!

Be sure to drink lots of Red Bull first! =0

Good luck!

Mark

Steven Davis April 24th, 2007 08:57 AM

Grab that camera and get into the mix, but avoid the mosh pit. I have no quarms about getting in the middle of the dancing, especially if it's a fast song with a lot of movement; jumping, hands raised etc.

Chris Harris April 28th, 2007 10:09 AM

Alright, it's coming up tonight! All my equipment is ready to go. I've actually got 4 cams. I'm going to put one on a tripod in a corner for time-lapse. What do you guys think of that?
Now it's just a matter of waiting. I'll report back on how it goes, and maybe even have some clips up tomorrow.

Joe Allen Rosenberger April 28th, 2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harris (Post 669092)
Alright, it's coming up tonight! All my equipment is ready to go. I've actually got 4 cams. I'm going to put one on a tripod in a corner for time-lapse. What do you guys think of that?
Now it's just a matter of waiting. I'll report back on how it goes, and maybe even have some clips up tomorrow.

I would not risk leaving a camera in the corner "unattended" for the time lapse....I think the time lapse is a great idea.....just not an unattended camera at a prom shoot.

GL-joe