DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Same Day Edit/Trailer - 4.22.07 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/92225-same-day-edit-trailer-4-22-07-a.html)

Jerome Cloninger April 23rd, 2007 05:32 PM

Same Day Edit/Trailer - 4.22.07

In light of JMag's thread about the SDE's... here is one I did yesterday. My goal was to have uploaded and post BEFORE the guests saw it, but there wasn't a WiFi connection in the ballroom.

Here's the scenario...
- 3 shooters counting myself.
- I had 2 hours and 45 minutes to get this done between the ceremony and time to show (including a 4 minute photo montage.)

Approximate timeline...
1:30 PM... start shooting prep, establishing shots, etc... I shot for SDE + some other shots I wanted for final edit too, and 2 other shooters for final edit.
3:30 PM... I go capture 20 minutes worth of footage from my camera to the PC.
4:00 PM... done capturing.
4:10 PM... I get done moving the projector screen the 2nd time due to the ballroom captain's demands... long story!
4:15 PM... Get to ceremony location about 200 yards away through a crowd.
4:18 PM... find out my tripod leg is broken and useless, go back to ballroom to get backup tripod.
4:25 PM... get in place for ceremony.
4:30 PM... Shoot ceremony.
4:50 PM... get ceremony tapes from other 2 cams, collect iRivers, and proceed to ballroom.
5:00 PM... start scrubbing footage BACKWARDS capturing key shots I liked when I saw them.
5:30 PM... start on editing...break headphone cable. Can't hear. DJ was cool and let me use his rest of night.
5:45 PM... shoot entrance, first dance, cake cutting.
6:15 PM... Capture entrance, dance, cake cutting.
6:30 PM... Finish editing.
7:10 PM... start render
7:25 PM... start author of DVD
7:30 PM... burn DVD.
7:45 PM... place DVD into DVD Player and projector and show it.
7:55 PM... go take a 5 minute break.
8:00 PM... shoot rest of reception which ends at 9:00 PM.
9:15 PM... shoot departure and other various events till about 9:45 PM....

Anyways... here is the clip (keep in mind this is shown IMMEDIATELY after the photo montage. They ate this whole thing up!

http://www.jcdv.com/WMV/stephanie_andy_cta.wmv

Michael Y Wong April 23rd, 2007 11:09 PM

As always Jerome, awesome lightning fast editing!

Dana Salsbury April 24th, 2007 03:53 AM

That was fun. Where did you get the fonts? The typography was beautiful. You've also got a great voice for voice-overs!

Jerome Cloninger April 24th, 2007 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury (Post 666270)
That was fun. Where did you get the fonts? The typography was beautiful. You've also got a great voice for voice-overs!

Thanks Dana. I got the fonts from http://www.myfonts.com

That is not my voice... I hired it out to a voiceover artist.

Patrick Moreau April 24th, 2007 07:58 AM

Hi Jerome,

Great work on the piece. I am sure they were blown away. The voice over artists was a great touch not only for its originality, but also how much it grabs the viewers attention right away and gives it that high-end feel. I have somebody lined up to do a couple pieces like this for me later in the season but you beat me to it.

A couple things I noticed if you wanted to make the next one veen better:

Some of the voice over segments seemed to be slightly disjointed in that they stopped for quite a while and then the voice came back on quickly and only briefly. Considering it is an SDE, I'de be more than happy to leave it as is, just wanted to mention it as I noticed it.

Other than that, I thought some of the camera movements looked kind of shaky (still getting used to the A1 and Merlin perhaps). If you had more time, I think I would have picked out a couple more moving shots for the beginning and done some color work on some shots as well.

Most of those things aren't noticed when it is shown the night of and most couples won't pick up on those regardless, but when it goes on a demo and is watched repeatedly or you want enter something into a competition, I think they would be picked up right away.

Again, great idea.

Patrick

Jerome Cloninger April 24th, 2007 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau (Post 666350)
Hi Jerome,

Great work on the piece. I am sure they were blown away. The voice over artists was a great touch not only for its originality, but also how much it grabs the viewers attention right away and gives it that high-end feel. I have somebody lined up to do a couple pieces like this for me later in the season but you beat me to it.

A couple things I noticed if you wanted to make the next one veen better:

Some of the voice over segments seemed to be slightly disjointed in that they stopped for quite a while and then the voice came back on quickly and only briefly. Considering it is an SDE, I'de be more than happy to leave it as is, just wanted to mention it as I noticed it.

Other than that, I thought some of the camera movements looked kind of shaky (still getting used to the A1 and Merlin perhaps). If you had more time, I think I would have picked out a couple more moving shots for the beginning and done some color work on some shots as well.

Most of those things aren't noticed when it is shown the night of and most couples won't pick up on those regardless, but when it goes on a demo and is watched repeatedly or you want enter something into a competition, I think they would be picked up right away.

Again, great idea.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. I agree 100% with you on the CC and shakiness. For sake of this post, I wanted to show it exactly as it appeared as a SDE and not be unethical in showing a tweaked piece. I will be smoothing out the shakiness by some slowmo and doing levels and cc tweaking for final distro.

All of that was handheld except for a couple of tripod shots.

There was only 1 VO artist with a tidbit from minister and groom from iRivers.

I did another one like this with the VO... go to my site and check out Crissy and Jerrod's Trailer. It was done last October. Since I have to pay the VO guy, I use him sparingly ;)

I didn't want to have too much VO in this one so there was a gap, but perhaps just a little too much from the groom's VO to "the family" segment.

Thanks again, and for my 3rd SDE, I have come a long way, but have a great idea to make it work even smoother (faster and more efficient) next time... OH, I think I'm going up on the SDE price too.

Let me see what you do with the piece you do a VO.....

Later!

Dana Salsbury April 24th, 2007 04:09 PM

Hey Jerome,

Why don't you use the same VO clips for all your SDEs, (sans the names).

BTW, the Pastor looks like quite a character!

Jerome Cloninger April 24th, 2007 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury (Post 666700)
Hey Jerome,

Why don't you use the same VO clips for all your SDEs, (sans the names).

BTW, the Pastor looks like quite a character!

Every trailer won't work with VO and even if we change the names, his pitch won't be exactly like when he did the "generic" content.

Good idea though. BTW, I did use the same "coming soon on DVD" as the October trailer and not what he did this time... it sounded better to me.

The pastor was a character... super nice guy and very accomodating to us. IT was funny though, the day before when we were scouting the location, we ran across another videog friend who was shooting a wedding there (ironic) and that pastor did that wedding, went to do another at another location (where our's was) and then did our couple. He's the "house pastor" but does a great job. The live audio sucked, but its not my responibility anymore unless they pay me to do it... (I do live sound for ceremonies too sometimes.) Was a relief to not do it so I could focus more on shooting.

Travis Cossel April 25th, 2007 04:28 AM

I gotta say I really liked the VO idea. I might try and incorporate that into my "post-wedding" trailers. Nice work!

Jerome Cloninger April 25th, 2007 06:54 AM

Dana, I viewed your site, how can I play HD from my DVD player now?

Dana Salsbury April 25th, 2007 10:11 AM

I haven't put that up yet. Dang. There are articles on the forum far more articulate than what I would write. Basically, the big difference between a normal DVD and Blu-Ray is capacity. That's why you don't see feature films in HD on normal DVDs -- too much information. A wedding, however, is often short enough to fit on a normal DVD in HD.

I do everything in HD and burn it to two or three DVDs in 720p with compression. It looks very sharp and fills out a widescreen TV nicely.

Jerome Cloninger April 25th, 2007 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury (Post 667196)
I haven't put that up yet. Dang. There are articles on the forum far more articulate than what I would write. Basically, the big difference between a normal DVD and Blu-Ray is capacity. That's why you don't see feature films in HD on normal DVDs -- too much information. A wedding, however, is often short enough to fit on a normal DVD in HD.

I do everything in HD and burn it to two or three DVDs in 720p with compression. It looks very sharp and fills out a widescreen TV nicely.

You can put HD clips on a standard DVD, but a regular DVD player will not read the HD files... a computer DVD drive will and play them in media player. If you put a HD file in your DVD authoring program, it will downconvert to 480 before actually authoring.

There is not a way a regualar DVD player will play anything over 480 on any TV....