Projector and screen for SDEs and photomontages at the reception.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Projector and screen for SDEs and photomontages at the reception..

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out what the latest and greatest people are using for projector and screen for receptions...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

latest and greatest is relative to your perceptions and budget.

I use a Panasonic AE700, and a 7x7 foot pullup screen which i dont know the name of (unbranded) and is 2 way (front/rear projection)
Mobility was a major issue here, and the screen pulling UPWARDS makes a huge difference in set up time. Also being front or rear pro, allows more flexibility depending on the venue.

I also have a smal mobile dvd player (NOT portable.. but small enough to fit into the projector bag), or i run it off the laptop if im doing HD
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Peter!

Cheers,
Scott
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Peter,
where did you get the pullup screen and how much did it cost ya?
Kim Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

the screen itself reminds me of a long barrel... it unclips open (on teh floor) with extendable legs

the screen holding arms swivel upwards.. then you pull the screen up (like a holland blind) and lock the bar (with the screen) to the vertical holding arms

Voila, instant screen in under 6kg, and in under 4 minutes to set up...

There is no brand name on the screen or casing so i cant tell you.. but if u search it, you'll be able to find them, theyre very popular..
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm looking for a screen to hang from a light beam...
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #7
Major Player

Projectors

Hi Scott,

A good starting place is ProjectorCentral.com - I suggest you learn the tradeoffs between the light/lumens, projector distance, screen size and ambient light. They have a few good online calculators here:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

Last month in another forum, a leading wedding videographer planned to use a 2500 lumen Toshiba TDP-T45U projector on a huge screen (250 inch diagonal). Using these specs, the calculator shows at 2500 lumens, the maximum length for video is 10 feet which will illuminate 155 inches diagonally (124 x 93 inches with a 4x3 diagonal) - so a 2500 lumen projector won't throw enough light for a huge screen, even if the room is pitch black:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Tosh...ulator-pro.htm

You'll also find this site has nice write-ups on projector reviews, etc. Bottom line, it pays to due your math based on your needs before locking in on any gear.

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Michael,

Yes I've spent an enormous amount of time over there and I've had a difficult time deciding which one is best for weddings...My concern is having to show a photomontage at 7 or 8PM out doors in the summer in full daylight. For inside projections I am not as worried since the lights can be dimmed as needed.

I guess I am leaning towards something that is 16x9 (720p), has 2500 lumens but has a 2500 contrast. Anyhing with that much lumen and a higher contrast is probably out of my budget...

Cheers,
Scott

Last edited by Scott Shama; April 27th, 2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I might be way off, but I don't think you're going to have much luck finding a projector/screen solution for use outside in full daylight.
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson View Post
latest and greatest is relative to your perceptions and budget.

I use a Panasonic AE700, and a 7x7 foot pullup screen which i dont know the name of (unbranded) and is 2 way (front/rear projection)
Mobility was a major issue here, and the screen pulling UPWARDS makes a huge difference in set up time. Also being front or rear pro, allows more flexibility depending on the venue.

I also have a smal mobile dvd player (NOT portable.. but small enough to fit into the projector bag), or i run it off the laptop if im doing HD
Projectors are similar in performance regardless of brand. Native resolution and lumen output are the primary considerations. Ease of navigating through the set-up menu is also important. How may ways can you connect to the projector? The more the better. Bear in mind the maximum resolution you can produce with your projects (4:3 SD, 16:9 SD, or the HD formats) and choose one that is a bit beyond.

The projection screen Peter is referring to is a rather new variation of what is commonly known in the AV rental industry as a "Cradle Screen". Instead of being mounted on a tripod stand, the retractable screen fits into an aluminium "cradle", which can be placed on a floor or table. A telescoping center hanging post can be positioned to the appropriate height and the screen connected to it. The value to a cradle screen is that it can be placed directly against a wall and only requires 6" - 8" of floor depth, where a tripod base screen will demand up to 4' of floor space, should you be concerned about safety.

This new variation is wonderful in many respects. The actual projection surface is built into a black masking, which eliminates the need for a masking drape. It utilizes a collapsing metal framework for screen support, thus eliminating the telescoping hanging post (an additional item to carry) I mentioned earlier.
The whole thing fits into its carrying case, which, by the way, is absolutely wonderful! So easy to set up.

In the US, Da-Lite and Draper offer the best products.

A screen surface both front and rear projection capable is likely a very thin matte white that is very translucent. However, it is not a 50/50 split. The surface is biased for rear projection, which only means front projection reflection (brightness) may be diminished, as well as clarity when viewing the image from the widest angle. If you choose rear projection, reverse the horizontal image in your projector's menu, and have an assistant out front to tell you when you have the image focused! The thickness of the screen material can deceive.

Regarding audio systems, i suggest two approaches. The first, and easiest, is to connect the DVD player audio out to your wireless mic transmitter (providing it has mic/instument/line/ sensitivity switching) and send the signal to the DJ/house PA. Lacking that, choose a powered PA speaker system.

Having said this, there is always the choice of outsourcing to an audio visual rental business. This direction can, in many ways, solve a lot of headaches.
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks for the insight Wal,
in fact with these screens, i have jsut come back froma corporate job interstate where they have banners in place of a screen.. i thought it woudl be great for trade shows as theyre self standing and require about 3 minutes to set up..
Old April 27th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #12
Major Player

So...this is what I've decided on...

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...odel=PT-AX100U

http://www.elitescreens.com/product_ezcinema.htm
80" so I can carry it in my car easier..

Cheers,
Scott
Old April 27th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Infocus IN24?

How is this projector for projecting at weddings? I already bought it, just asking for comments.
IN24 $499(after rebate)Cool by Design

1700 max ANSI lumens
SVGA 800 x 600
5.95 lbs/2.7 kg
Kim Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Swift View Post
How is this projector for projecting at weddings? I already bought it, just asking for comments.
IN24 $499(after rebate)Cool by Design

1700 max ANSI lumens
SVGA 800 x 600
5.95 lbs/2.7 kg
Should be fine. HD projects may suffer a bit as the projector's native resolution is below HD.
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:39 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks for the rsponse, Waldermar!

Any thoughts on the Optoma Movie Time? Anyone?

1000 ANSI Lumens
854 x 480 (480p) W-SVGA resolution
Up to 4,000 - 1 contrast ratio
16 - 9 aspect ratio
36 - 335 image size projected on wall or screen (for best resolution, contrast, and brightness, we suggest purchasing an optional screen)
Kim Swift is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques