DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   The best slow motion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/92390-best-slow-motion.html)

Joel Rigoni April 25th, 2007 12:52 PM

The best slow motion

I' need some help about slow motion.
I use Premiere 2 as edit software. but the slowmotion is like a trash.

what you guys sugest to resolve my problem?
I have tried TWIXTOR as a plugin on premiere, but it is taking to long to render. and also i dont use video card just generic firewire.
thanks guys

Dana Salsbury April 25th, 2007 01:06 PM

I'm having the same problem in Vegas7. It's just choppy, which I don't understand since it's 29 fps. (See my home page video)

Steven Davis April 25th, 2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury (Post 667327)
I'm having the same problem in Vegas7. It's just choppy, which I don't understand since it's 29 fps. (See my home page video)

Dana, the groom catching his jacket and buttoning it up, was that part reversed? In other words did you film him taking it off and throwing it? Hehe, just curious.

Josh Green April 25th, 2007 01:52 PM

coat in reverse

Ya, I saw that "coat in reverse" thing. That was pretty interesting.

Steven Davis April 25th, 2007 02:42 PM

Well it was one of those, 'wow nice catch..................' wait. Was that in reverse.

Dana Salsbury April 25th, 2007 02:54 PM

Yeah, I had him take it off and huck it. Then I reversed the clip. This guy didn't do so well. Check out the demo with Tammy and Rowan. It made the groom look bigger than life and he loved it. Shooting the groom is usually boring, so I thought I'd have some fun with it.

We're a bit off topic, though. Am I doing something wrong to get such a choppy slo-mo of the bride?

Patrick Moreau April 25th, 2007 03:32 PM

I'm really happy with the slow-motion results I was able to get with the Sony Sd cams as well as the XHA1. I find that shooting in 60i with the shutter at 1/60th is probably the biggest thing you can do. FCP does quite a bit as well.

Patrick

Jon Omiatek April 25th, 2007 03:37 PM

A good post was done on this already. Check it out

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91111

Jon

Rick Steele April 25th, 2007 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Rigoni (Post 667317)
I have tried TWIXTOR as a plugin on premiere, but it is taking to long to render

That's because it's interpolating and actually creating extra frames. The output is usually worth it though.

But yeah, it does take long and PPro really sucks at anything less than 60% speed IMO. It depends on how much motion is in the clip to of course.

I use the time remapping function in After Effects. Much better than Premiere but not as good as Twixtor.

Joel Rigoni April 25th, 2007 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Omiatek (Post 667414)
A good post was done on this already. Check it out

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91111

Jon

I forgot to say, i use sony vx2100.

I sow the topic and I didn't see answer for my question, actually I'll be glad if you guys say how each one make your own slowmotion

Jon Omiatek April 25th, 2007 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Rigoni (Post 667432)
I forgot to say, i use sony vx2100.

I sow the topic and I didn't see answer for my question, actually I'll be glad if you guys say how each one make your own slowmotion

In the post it talks about using a higher shutter speed when shooting something you would like to slow mo......The post goes over all the steps to create good slow motion.

I use twixtor plugin with AE for slow motion. I personally think that if you shoot a shot with your vx2100 in auto, you will have problems making great slowmotion. I am by no means an expert at it but without higher shutter speeds you just don't have enough information to do good slow motion.

Jon

Matthew Amirkhani April 25th, 2007 08:50 PM

Hi Guys,

The best slow motion yet is in After Effects 7 with Time Warp it's smooooooth and and there is no motion blur.

Dana Salsbury April 25th, 2007 09:31 PM

I'll look for a similar plug-in in Vegas. Thanks.

Joe Allen Rosenberger April 25th, 2007 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury (Post 667599)
I'll look for a similar plug-in in Vegas. Thanks.

Dana, if you have any question about Vegas...you should ask Peter Jefferson, he works in Vegas I beleive and is very knowledgeable about that software.

GL- Joe

Matt Bishop April 26th, 2007 10:14 PM

I use sony and panasonic cameras (all SD ) and use vegas for slow motion. I used to use premiere but it was showing the upper/ lower fields too much and I could see the picture shaking up and down. I tried vegas and have never gone back. I can slow things down as far as possible and they are still really smooth. Granted, your video needs to be somewhat smooth too. Just make sure the properties are set for smooth throughout and it should look great. I've never had a problem in vegas 6 or 7. Let me know if you want any more details.

Matt