Good mic for backup at weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 26th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #1
New Boot

Good mic for backup at weddings

Hey, sorry if this has already been posted somewhere on here. I have found many similar questions, but nothing that quite answers what I am looking for. I am starting a wedding videography business with my brother and we have panasonic DVC30s, I have an XLR adapter on mine and the second is going to be using our wireless mic system (Azden 300LT). I am looking for a mic on my camera which can be used to pic up the music and readers before the actual ceremony with the bride and groom begins. Does anyone have suggestions? I was looking at a shotgun, but I'm afraid that will not get good ambient noise, and the few stereo shotguns I have found are more expensive than I want to spend. My price range is probably up to $300 or $400 (preferrably). Any suggestions? Should I look at something like the AT822 stereo mic, or what? Thank you so much for any help!!!
Matt Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thurman View Post
Hey, sorry if this has already been posted somewhere on here. I have found many similar questions, but nothing that quite answers what I am looking for. I am starting a wedding videography business with my brother and we have panasonic DVC30s, I have an XLR adapter on mine and the second is going to be using our wireless mic system (Azden 300LT). I am looking for a mic on my camera which can be used to pic up the music and readers before the actual ceremony with the bride and groom begins. Does anyone have suggestions? I was looking at a shotgun, but I'm afraid that will not get good ambient noise, and the few stereo shotguns I have found are more expensive than I want to spend. My price range is probably up to $300 or $400 (preferrably). Any suggestions? Should I look at something like the AT822 stereo mic, or what? Thank you so much for any help!!!
Unless you are less than 10" from the subject in your viewfinder you are not going to get good sound from a camera mounted mic, period. the best audio is always captured if the mic is as close to the sound source as possible.

For convenience sake, I would find an inexpensive wireless system (NADY makes a good selection for short range work at very reasonable prices. http://nadywireless.com). Another option is hard wired mics. Always best, but difficult to set up if there is little time.

I use VHF wireless hand mics (Shure SM58 with XLR wireless transmitters) on floor stands. Depending upon the situation, these mics feed into iriver MP3 recorders or into an audio mixer that ultimately feeds into one camera.

I'd be happy to discuss this issue at length. PM me.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques