Sales tax in North Carolina at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 27th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sales tax in North Carolina

How do any of you videographers in North Carolina handle sales tax for your services? I found a lot of information on the board but nothing specific to North Carolina. I believe that we do not have to collect and pay sales tax on our services only products like extra DVDs. Just want to see what others are doing.

thanks
Janice DeMille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #2
Wrangler

Check your state's Dept of Revenue website, you will find a lot of information there. Try this for starters (easily found with Google): http://www.dornc.com/faq/sales.html

I don't know if this applies to you, but I suggest that you find out by speaking with an accountant in your area.
Quote:
Are any services taxable?
Generally services are exempt from sales or use tax, but laundry and dry cleaning services are taxable at the combined 6.75% (7.25% in Mecklenburg County) State and local tax rates. Telecommunications service and ancillary service, and video programming are taxable at the combined 6.75% general tax rate.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You should definitely check and find out for sure because in our state we have to charge sales tax because we're delivering a physical product (the DVD). It doesn't matter if it's only one DVD, or for that matter, if it's just footage on a MiniDV tape. If we are delivering ANYTHING to the client, sales tax must be charged. So yeah, make sure you know for sure.
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #4
Wrangler

DVinfo is a great place to learn and share information with friends. But if you're running a business you really need professional advice when it come to financial and legal matters.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
I agree with the advice you've been given.

Just so you can say you've heard it, the latest rumor is that the NC Dept of Revenue is actively enforcing the sales tax regulations on videographers.

When you get "signed up" for a sales tax number, also sign up for the newsletter. It'll help you keep up with the constant changes in the sales tax laws.

My advice? Go see a tax professional now!

Mark

(BTW, where's Nebo?)
Mark Holland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques